What's new

Question on what coil I should buy....

olekyground

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
1,565
Reaction score
429
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got a teknetics t2 detector. I have been looking at coils for it. The one I got Now is the one that comes with it new. I just want a coil that will help me find more jewelry and gold items. What should, I buy? Asp what a better coil to buy just to improve my hunts in generally every category. Thanks.
 
If you don't have the 5 inch that's the first one I'd get. I started with the 11 and put the 5 on and probably not going to take it off.
 
You have two choices. Settle for the perfectly good one you have now, or spend a bundle for a fleet of odd size coils and settle for the same approximate finds. It's that simple! Skill is in the head of the beholder of the detector, not on the end of his shaft. Frank...

111-1 profile.webp
 
Thanks for your comments. God bless
 
In my admittedly biased opinion, for 95% of your detecting you'll do just fine with the standard coil plus a smaller coil for trashy areas. Large coils are fine for covering lots of ground or coaxing a bit more depth, but are heavy to swing and will drive you nuts in trashy areas. I'm pretty much in agreement with Fankn - most of the time the standard coil will serve you well.
luvsdux
 
Get this one...
 

Attachments

  • coil.webp
    coil.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 112
So in that case. What would be the best smaller coil to purchase for trashy areas? Is there a big difference between one that's let's say 130 dollars compared to 340? Thanks
 
Thanks!
 
I disagree with guys saying you should stick with stock coil. I also don't think bigger will do you any good, but the 5 inch dd will find coins in heavy trash the stock coil will not.
 
I was using a BH Platinum w/ DD coil, and recently got a Teknetics Omega 8000, which comes with a 10" concentric elliptical coil.
In comparison I really notice the speed and ease of recovery using the Omega with the concentric coil. I'd like to get a 5"DD coil for it eventually.
 
I was using a BH Platinum w/ DD coil, and recently got a Teknetics Omega 8000, which comes with a 10" concentric elliptical coil.
In comparison I really notice the speed and ease of recovery using the Omega with the concentric coil. I'd like to get a 5"DD coil for it eventually.

Just curious. If you like the speed and ease of a 10" concentric, why would you want a 5"DD? Concentrics pinpoint so much better. Frank...

111-1 profile.webp
 
Response to dirt scratcher above - coil size isn't the only criteria in trash, very quick retune detectors have an edge there as well and some do pretty well with the stock coil. Of course it also depends on whether we're talking about an 8" stock coil, a 10" stock coil or - you get the picture. All that said, in my own detecting, I've found smaller than stock coils to be much more useful that the larger than stock so we're really not very far apart in our thinking.
luvsdux
 
Response to dirt scratcher above - coil size isn't the only criteria in trash, very quick retune detectors have an edge there as well and some do pretty well with the stock coil. Of course it also depends on whether we're talking about an 8" stock coil, a 10" stock coil or - you get the picture. All that said, in my own detecting, I've found smaller than stock coils to be much more useful that the larger than stock so we're really not very far apart in our thinking.
luvsdux

A quick detector no doubt makes a huge difference in trashy areas. My Tejon is super quick and does very well in trashy areas with the stock coil.
-Swartzie
 
The t2 is about as quick as they get. With the 5 inch dd it hits targets like a machine gun.
 
When in heavy trash, depending on which detector I'm using, I do very well with a 51/4" or a 4X6 DD oval. I don't have the t2, but I'm sure dirtscratcher is right on with the 5".
luvdux
 
On the Whites XLT, you can adjust the reset speed or practically anything else in the computer. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom