What's new

Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some artifacts from a antique shop this yr from a guy selling his collection. Some of the pieces had letters and numbers written in ink on the backs. I have always heard that some people will mark their artifacts so they will know which spot it came from. I Have heard that some times knappers will mark their repros as well. But I have not ever bought a repro as far as I know. So my question is what have you people ever heard or seen on this type of markings? I have one but the ink is worn and will show it now. 100_2075.webp So what is your take on this type of marking? Real or Fake? Thank you for your input.
 
Upvote 0
Everyone used to mark and have their own catalog type. I kow a guy that uses color for state first then another color dot for country and then site. he can tell you everything. I used to mark mine with county or place and put finger nail polish over it. Does not mean fake at all. You would not believe the fantastic collections I have seen cemented to plywood, haha. Does not mean fake at all it just means you did not find it and have no idea what the markings mean :)
 
Last edited:
That is a long flake up the center. I documented stuff for a while. I would mark like 2-12. 2 would be a ground that I hunted. My second hunting spot. 12 the number of items I found there. That being number 12. I realized no one would know the code but me. It is a good practice. Uglyed up my rocks though. Who ever did your piece must have used tally marks??? Just a guess!!
 
Tnmountains said:
Everyone used to mark and have their own catalog type. I kow a guy that uses color for state first then another color dot for country and then site. he can tell you everything. I used to mark mine with county or place and put finger nail polish over it. Does not mean fake at all. You would not believe the fantastic collections I have seen cemented to plywood, haha. Does not mean fake at all it just means you did not find it and have no idea what the markings mean :)

Their is an elderly couple here that has nice points concreted into post on each side of their driveway. I hate to see that. Could they be removed with no damage? It is a pretty display. Is it legal for me to post a pic of it? I don't know the people.
 
This thread showed up coincidently right after Rock and I had a little talk about some pieces he sent me that I believe are no doubt reproductions. let's let everyone decide I think they speak for themselves.

ForumRunner_20121003_091340.webp



ForumRunner_20121003_091422.webp real or fake isn't decided by a marking. But when there is what appears to be initials on a piece that screams repro. You just put the two together.
 
Last edited:
NC field hunter said:
Their is an elderly couple here that has nice points concreted into post on each side of their driveway. I hate to see that. Could they be removed with no damage? It is a pretty display. Is it legal for me to post a pic of it? I don't know the people.

If its being displayed publicly you have every right to take and show photos.
 
Their is an elderly couple here that has nice points concreted into post on each side of their driveway. I hate to see that. Could they be removed with no damage? It is a pretty display. Is it legal for me to post a pic of it? I don't know the people.
They could possibly be removed , by applying acid around th edges.But it would make a ugly place in the post. I would like to see pictures.
 
GatorBoy said:
If its being displayed publicly you have every right to take and show photos.

Next time I'm in that area, I'll take a few pics. I have almost knocked on their door before, just to talk to them about all the points. I didn't because I know how bothersome it can be. I took my display down that I had at work. It drew me away from my work too often. I loved talking about the pieces, but my payroll was too high. Display had to go.
 
Some Tx people will have to say if those pieces are real or not. I believe they are. That pink is the finders marks.
 
I don't see any reason to cal them fake. They could be but why keep broke fakes around?
 
Wow...really ..its Flint..Texas Florida Georgia Tennessee ..it don't matter..those aren't even a question. Have you seen alot of repros and authentic points? I would venture a guess at no but I don't want to be rude... let me be the authenticator on this one...I'm plenty qualified to do so. Those are reproductions. And not by a very talented knapper.
 
To..bsit1361 Because he got them for free from someone else who didn't want them. Rock shops are full of those and many of them break in the boxes and bins they keep them in. Have you ever heard the saying.."THE WORST YOU GET IS THE ONE YOU GIVE AWAY" no offence Rock but I've seen what you post..if you knew those to be real you would not part with them for some pottery. For real
 
I have plenty of artifacts and dont have to flaunt them to prove my point. I enjoy seeing other peoples finds but do enjoy finding them myself. When you see one in the dirt its like winning the lotto type of a feeling to me. And every once in a while if the price is rite I will buy some and then resale them. No crime on that if I make a profit thats another win. If somebody really likes one I have for
sale and cant afford it I will work with them on the price just so it can go to a happy home.
 
Or if its free its 100% profit?
 
Some Tx people will have to say if those pieces are real or not. I believe they are. That pink is the finders marks.

look at all the loose material around all the flake scars.... thats one easy way to tell. those pieces would never be there in that amount after centuries in the ground expanding and contracting with the heat and cold. Ive been doing thid fora while.
 
look at all the loose material around all the flake scars.... thats one easy way to tell. those pieces would never be there in that amount after centuries in the ground expanding and contracting with the heat and cold. Ive been doing thid fora while.

thid fora while
 
Sorry about the spelling but I'm sure you understood... I thibk
 
lol if that frilo at the bottom was a whole piece to would value in the $200.00 price range. If its real and most of the flint from Tx is that color that I have seen.
 
Right.....Oh its definitely real Flint. LOL.
 
I was trying to be nice to you by giving you so many different Artifacts to look at from different parts of the country. If you feel as if I sent you too many verses you few shards you sent me, you could always send me some of your shell Artifacts you have cause I dont have any of those in my collection. I would be interested in looking at some. Otherwise be grateful for the gift.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom