What's new

Question?

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
446
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Found this little guy a few years back. Not sure what it is or it's purpose but I always thought it resembled a turtles head and neck. Flint effigy maybe?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    884.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    776.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    791 KB · Views: 135
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    748.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    923.2 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
I hope so lol but from my angle looks like a nice thumb held scraper it is a very pretty piece !!!
 
That's what I always wrote it off as. I always had my fingers crossed that it was a little more. Haha
Thanks paint.
 
Well I have a small accumulation of effigies myself but I'm not sure if they are or aren't haha I put those pieces in a box and mark them effigy?? And maybe one day I will find out so don't count it out yet
 
Those are called Turtleback Scrapers because that is what they look like, but they are not Effigies. It's just a name that collectors hung on them years ago.
 
I dont know if there was ever a effigy found made out of flaked flint. At least I have never heard of one. Nice tool
 
Would this also be a turtleback scraper?
 

Attachments

  • image-3379074320.webp
    image-3379074320.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 99
  • image-582187688.webp
    image-582187688.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2948648296.webp
    image-2948648296.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 88
That would be a Celt ,adze, or preform ;)
 
I dont know if there was ever a effigy found made out of flaked flint. At least I have never heard of one. Nice tool

Believe it there have been flint effigies found that have been authenticated I found one in a article found in the seventies 2 miles from my property and I saw a turtle effigy in a price guide Midwestern guide but it looks like a turtle no doubt about it and its value was 300 I think that they mainly find smaller ones idk but very real
 
Thanks x7. So much easier for me to find them than to identify them.
 
Haha me too but I think I got that one right
 
I dont know if there was ever a effigy found made out of flaked flint. At least I have never heard of one. Nice tool

There have actually been Flint Effigies found, just not the Thunderbirds, Fish Hooks, Turtles, etc. In Alaska Bear Effigies have been found and I've seen a few pictures of some.

There is also a piece called a Lizard Effigy that was found in Wyoming I believe that I have seen online before on a few web sites.

Also, there are lots of Flint Effigies associated with the Maya culture so they do exist.

Here is a Bear Effigy from Alaska and owned by Joel Castanza.
 

Attachments

  • PolarBearEffigy.webp
    PolarBearEffigy.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Here's another one from California.
 

Attachments

  • ca_state_prehistoric_artifact_chipped_stone_bear_csp_graphic.webp
    ca_state_prehistoric_artifact_chipped_stone_bear_csp_graphic.webp
    6 KB · Views: 77
Here are some well documented Lizard Effigies.
 

Attachments

  • lizardonrocksm.webp
    lizardonrocksm.webp
    7 KB · Views: 96
  • 68037d1323445142-lizard-effigy-09-15-08042.webp
    68037d1323445142-lizard-effigy-09-15-08042.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 81
  • lizardbridensinglesm.webp
    lizardbridensinglesm.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 83
It's simply an endscraper. There are descriptive names for some: Thumbnail, Duckbill (like yours) and Turtleback (completely round). However, they all had pretty much the same function.
 
Here are some well documented Lizard Effigies.

Those are sure interesting.
Is it just me..or do I see use wear as a drill?
Seems if a piece of already hollow cane was notched on both sides of the opening that could slide right in and the protrusions would make a snug haft locking itself in place with a little pitch and sinew.. ..perfect.
When one side gets worn out... just flip it over.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input and the awesome artifacts guys. Wishful thinking on my part.
 
Those flint effigies are cool Ive never seen one before. Learn something new everyday.
 
There has been a turtle effigy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom