What's new

Question?

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
446
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Found this little guy a few years back. Not sure what it is or it's purpose but I always thought it resembled a turtles head and neck. Flint effigy maybe?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    884.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    776.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    791 KB · Views: 135
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    748.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    923.2 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
This was found in 1977 a few miles from my house it . The university of UT Knoxville I think owns it now
 

Attachments

  • image-3792697297.webp
    image-3792697297.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 80
There were also two found in duck river cache about 30 miles away
 
Those are sure interesting.
Is it just me..or do I see use wear as a drill?
Seems if a piece of already hollow cane was notched on both sides of the opening that could slide right in and the protrusions would make a snug haft locking itself in place with a little pitch and sinew.. ..perfect.
When one side gets worn out... just flip it over.

They are ground smooth on almost the entire surface so that's why they look polished like a Drill.
 
Lots of flint effigies especially s America . I have some pics of frames that nat geographic said was some of the finest ancient flint work they had seen. I'll post em when I get to my puter.
 
that is a nice thick scraper

they can be found in any state in the usa

quite a few were a lot bigger when they were first made but gradually became smaller as they were re-sharpened over the years
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom