Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Older model Tesoro B2 UMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Friends.
Okay I have some questions about the East Fork Road - Azusa area. First off I am not quite sure what the area is called. The way that I know how to describe the area is : it is the parking lot at the end of East Fork Road - Azusa (canyon?). The area is basically CA-39N turn left onto N San Gabriel Canyon Rd / N Azua Ave / CA-39 N continue to follow CA-39 N for 9.9 miles. Turn right onto E East Fork Road untill the road dead ends at the parking lot. I have followed these roads on google earth and have found the area with no problem (and I'm sure lots of you have been there), but I am not sure if that area (the parking lot) has a name.
Question: Shoemaker road looks like (on google earth) to be a road that turns to dirt and then dead ends. Can a person drive to the end of shoemaker and hike down to the river? or is it too steep - covered in brush etc.. (shoemaker road looks to be a branch off from East fork road).

Question: Do I need an 'adventure type of pass' to access that area? if so where do I purchase one?

Question: Does the 'parking lot area' get extremely crowded on the weekends, (non holiday weekends).

Question: Can a person camp out overnight (or for the weekend ) in that area? Cost $$?

Question: Are there any fuel stations along N San Gabriel Canyon Rd? or E East Fork Road? (diesel? I have a 4xDiesel van).

Thought I would park in the lot, hike in a ways with my backpack sluice, hoping I can spend the weekend there. Im in Torrance, about 60 or so miles to drive so its not too crazy far for a weekend trip.
Any and all answers will be very appreciated. Anyone wanna go or meet me there would be very cool.
Rock-On
Vince.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Vince,

Technically, you should display an "Adventure Pass" to park there. Just Google "California Adventure Pass" and you will get a list of places to get one from. You can also purchase one at the Williams Camp Store (you see that when you pass through the small community on the way to the parking lot).

You can't camp out in the parking lot, but many people used to camp along the straights (before the parking lot), but not sure about now.

No gas stations after you pass Foothill Blvd.

Best Wishes - Mike

OP
OP
V

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I went there today, now I have the answers to my questions. Lets see.. doesent look like any fuel stations past foothill blvd. Yes ! you do need an adventure pass to park anywhere in that area. I got a day pass ($5.00) from the information station just before entering the canyon. The 2 docents were very nice and even let me bring my little dog into the building with me. an annual pass is 30$ same as its always been. Beings this was Easter Sunday I wasent figureing for a big turnout, but I was wrong the place was a zoo. every piece of real-estate that you could park anything on had a vehicle on it. So I guess the word is.. go early, and on a weekday. I asked at the cafe if you are allowed to camp next to the san gab river on the road and was told you could. I did see some 'very old' rv vehicles that hadent seen the road in quite some time. So I guess thats a yes. No campfires, propane stoves only, not even charchol briquets in a bar-b-que are alowed.. propane stoves only so I was told. It was 51 miles from my front door to the last parking lot. My little dog and I had a good time walking around and the scenery is pretty nice. Lots of trash, but you always get that when you have lots of people... why folks cant clean up their mess ????? anyway. Im looking forward to dropping my sluice in the river, but I will hike in a couple of miles past the last parking lot.
Cheers.
Vince.

OP
OP
V

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also stopped at the Cafe (camp williams resort). The people in there were real nice. I asked lots of questions and they had no problems answering them. They make excellent cheese burgers there ( I ordered 1 for me and 1 for my little dog). A single burger is the size of a double burger easy! the burgers came with fries that were just how I liked them (I was pleasently surprised). My litle dog loved the burger, but as usual she spit out the tomato, and onions, I stoled her pickels. She was pleased. Just be ware, for 2 c/burgers and 2 bottles of water your gonna shell out some $$$. Camp williams resort looks pretty nice but once again.. better bring some $$$$ to camp there. I could see spending the money and camping there If the fam was with me, but just me and my little dog.... I would do a free camp in the VAN, if I could find a spot. Looking forward to checking out more of this historical area in the comming summer.
Cheers.
Vince.

ironworker

Tenderfoot
Feb 29, 2012
Baldwin Park,ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RE east fork

Hello Friends.
Okay I have some questions about the East Fork Road - Azusa area. First off I am not quite sure what the area is called. The way that I know how to describe the area is : it is the parking lot at the end of East Fork Road - Azusa (canyon?). The area is basically CA-39N turn left onto N San Gabriel Canyon Rd / N Azua Ave / CA-39 N continue to follow CA-39 N for 9.9 miles. Turn right onto E East Fork Road untill the road dead ends at the parking lot. I have followed these roads on google earth and have found the area with no problem (and I'm sure lots of you have been there), but I am not sure if that area (the parking lot) has a name.
Question: Shoemaker road looks like (on google earth) to be a road that turns to dirt and then dead ends. Can a person drive to the end of shoemaker and hike down to the river? or is it too steep - covered in brush etc.. (shoemaker road looks to be a branch off from East fork road).

Question: Do I need an 'adventure type of pass' to access that area? if so where do I purchase one?

Question: Does the 'parking lot area' get extremely crowded on the weekends, (non holiday weekends).

Question: Can a person camp out overnight (or for the weekend ) in that area? Cost $$?

Question: Are there any fuel stations along N San Gabriel Canyon Rd? or E East Fork Road? (diesel? I have a 4xDiesel van).

Thought I would park in the lot, hike in a ways with my backpack sluice, hoping I can spend the weekend there. Im in Torrance, about 60 or so miles to drive so its not too crazy far for a weekend trip.
Any and all answers will be very appreciated. Anyone wanna go or meet me there would be very cool.
Rock-On
Vince.

shoemaker has a gate at the halfway point very steep to the bottom
alot of people do go there on the weekend can camp along the road side before the white bridge 1 mile past camp williams better there to much rif raf back in the canyon past the end of the road a couple of bears have been spotted up there a couple of weeks ago gold gets better though the further you go up going alone is ok but becareful some river crossing is unavoidable 4 hour hike to the bridge to nowhere on the adventure pass if you see yourself going up the alot you can get the annual adventure pass for $30 instead of $5 every visit

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shoemaker has a gate at the halfway point very steep to the bottom
alot of people do go there on the weekend can camp along the road side before the white bridge 1 mile past camp williams better there to much rif raf back in the canyon past the end of the road a couple of bears have been spotted up there a couple of weeks ago gold gets better though the further you go up going alone is ok but becareful some river crossing is unavoidable 4 hour hike to the bridge to nowhere on the adventure pass if you see yourself going up the alot you can get the annual adventure pass for $30 instead of $5 every visit

I was up on Shoemaker rd. last month poking around. Walked up a trail and saw a big pile of fresh bear droppings. Immediately turned around and rushed back to the car. Bear vs. human with a knife is a losing situation for human.

Was up just past the second crossing where the old cabin stands today. Didn't have much luck though. Guess I'll be heading to the narrows on my day off Monday.

By the way, there are a lot of people prospecting up there now.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was mining at Heaton Flats middle of last week.
Good gold. Read my Thread.
Mid-Week Mining at East Fork SG River
I had a good time.
I will be going back to the roads end at East Fork Wed.11/14/2012 for 3 more nights.:goldpan::hello:

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea i was just wondering if heaton flat is that parking area at the end of the road that follows the east fork.
Im wondering because I have only been there once and I want to start making regular trips down there, and I was wondering if folks have to hike waaaayyyyy back up the river to find any color.

chenty

Nov 4, 2012
missouri
Detector(s) used
BT IV, ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with my son a couple months ago, we hiked back bout 3+ miles.....the place looked like
bombs went off every were, so much digging that far back....but! the hike is nice.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea i was just wondering if heaton flat is that parking area at the end of the road that follows the east fork.
Im wondering because I have only been there once and I want to start making regular trips down there, and I was wondering if folks have to hike waaaayyyyy back up the river to find any color.

Vince, Heaton Flats is past the end of the road. There is a bathroom and camping area there. I would say it's about 3/4 mile past the end of the road.

As for the gold, the good gold is found further back in, but there is a reason a lot of people prospect by the bridge. I've found good gold there too.

OP
OP
V

Vince in So.Cal

Mar 25, 2012
Torrance California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info MrLee. That was the answer I was hoping for. Until I get some prospecting buddies I dont want to drag all my stuff miles and miles down a footpath by myself, plus its just more enjoyable to go with other people....(safer too).

Vince

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread