What's new

Quick Labor Day hunt

BrettCo124

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
900
Reaction score
939
Golden Thread
0
Location
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Stopped by a local spot on the Delaware river by me (Philly) for a half hour, and came out with this nice piece. It does have a little break at the tip, but almost unnoticeable. I think I’ll frame it anyways, despite the break.

Anyone know the type/age?

Hope you all have a nice Labor Day.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536011240.266195.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536011250.332237.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536011258.900912.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice find.Congrats
 
Nice find ... few more pics of both sides of the base would help ID it but from the shape it looks like a pretty old one prob archaic
 
Thanks all!
Arrow - here are more photos
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014593.288474.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014610.757848.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014637.617307.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014673.432170.webp
 
Beautiful material. I looks a little too thick for a point, but from what I can tell it looks like a small scraper or knife.
 
Beautiful material. I looks a little too thick for a point, but from what I can tell it looks like a small scraper or knife.

Agree with Old Digger, a small cutting tool. Is that jasper?
 
First group of pics it looked like a point with a curved base and some small ears but second group does look thicker hard to say but some sweet jasper whatever it was
 
It really is some nice workmanship on this piece. It’s jasper for sure. This site has some good stuff in it!
 
First group of pics it looked like a point with a curved base and some small ears but second group does look thicker hard to say but some sweet jasper whatever it was

It has a big chunk at the bottom. In fact, oddly 75% of my finds from this site specifically have that bump. It’s called a stack according to my hunting buddies. I just found it weird that almost all of my finds from here have it, which made me think it was purposely put there perhaps for a finger rest or something.
 
Last photo shows what looks like a stack they couldnt remove and thats probably why its so thick and was used for a cutting tool instead of a point imo. Nice water
stain and polish on that one.
 
Last photo shows what looks like a stack they couldnt remove and thats probably why its so thick and was used for a cutting tool instead of a point imo. Nice water
stain and polish on that one.

Thanks! They must have run in to that issue quite often. It’s on all that I’ve found so far.
 
Thanks! They must have run in to that issue quite often. It’s on all that I’ve found so far.

All finds from the same area? Might be the same person who made them. There are some I find with the thicker end that look like knifes they dont match anything in the guides or books. I take them to the shows and people arent sure what they are and I have seen some that have found them also. Oldtimers call them Nipple Points due to the hump on the end.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10370.webp
    SDC10370.webp
    343.7 KB · Views: 76
All finds from the same area? Might be the same person who made them. There are some I find with the thicker end that look like knifes they dont match anything in the guides or books. I take them to the shows and people arent sure what they are and I have seen some that have found them also. Oldtimers call them Nipple Points due to the hump on the end.

I’d say 80 percent or more have that lump on it. And it really feels purposely put there. If I found a couple like that, I’d think nothing of it. But I found 14 artifacts from there already and about 10 have it, all of which appear to be knives.
 
I would say that is a nice jasper tool of some sort, and has a really cool fresh water patina on it. We find similarly formed pieces down my way, and I am not sure what to make of them? It could be that the material they were using could not have those lumps, bumps or stacks removed, so they just worked around them and ended up with knives, scrapers or piercing tools with thick bases. Or it could be that some were intentionally formed that way, and possibly were used as wedges in splitting wooden shafts etc. ? I supposed that if a wedge tool like that were struck on the thick end with a wooden stick or mallet, that it probably wouldn't leave a visible mark on every piece?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom