RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, Well I checked and they seem to be the experts at expertizing error coins so probably the right way to go.

A couple of provisos I'd suggest is take plenty of pictures of the coin before sending it off for expertizing....call me paranoid but you want to make sure no one pulls a switcharoo also send it registered mail with signature required so you have proof they've received it.

Lastly good luck and hope you hit the jackpot!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart... the wood thing seems to be coming along.

Loved the spiked plank btw.

AARC it's been a blast and a whirlwind of learning.....but it is by far the biggest most successful treasure hunt I've ever been involved in. Who knew when I posted those first logs I cut on RPT that 2 years later I would have a full blown saw mill operation and a growing furniture shop. Lumber Jack, Sawyer, and furniture/carpenter makes every piece special. We have made so many new friends and had so much fun with it. Now were actually making good side money too. After work and Saturdays have paid off for us finally. I could ramble on and on......its been all great brother. Wooo hoooo.....flip flop loggers !!!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm...

A new show fo A&E... "Flip Flop Loggers".

Hey man... I for one would tune in.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to know what a true double die coin looks like, here you go.
View attachment 1685007

The overwhelmed part, is that I only knew to do coins based off of condition.
Until recently, I didn't know that this world of errors existed.
An honest coin guy told me that I should buy a 20x loupe and see what he sees.
Grading coins, I never used higher than a 7x loupe.
Errors take more sometimes.
Not this nickel.
When Frank aka huntsman told me that is a DD.. I about sh!t myself!
There are a bunch more that look like it in different denominations.

Yeah, overwhelming to learn all of this.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like your dad had some pretty neat coins

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,

It couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. This should free up some loot to give the missus the special medical attention her condition requires.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, I think you could use your mistake to build shelving, you don't want to stack everything or you will eventually not be able to get to anything.

With the prior practice you already did it shouldn't take long to do it right. jmo.

I just happened to see this post..haha I actually have a mess.. I have two rooms barely started. The attic above the attached garage is partly floored. The attic above the second story is stacked. I made 2x4 shelving that holds the yellow topped tubs that you can buy at Homedepot, on....three walls of the garage, Loaded with those tubs to the ceiling.

We moved three houses into one. Then before I could get that under control...I started that pallet thing. I don't buy those anymore but still have a ton of stuff to sell. The garage is packed solid!!

I'll get it under control..Just a little overwhelming right now. I really don't want all of this stuff there is just too much money tied up in it to just dump it. All of the great easy stuff to sell is pretty much gone, it's all the nickel and dime stuff now. I joined Facebook today so that I could sell stuff on there. I hate Facebook but needed as many outlets as I could find. Once I get it under control I'm going a different route. There are so many things I want to try but it all takes space and money. Which a have little of both right now. hahaha

Ohhh and I am/was a collector of many things. when I get interested in something I go "all in"! Then I get bored, shove the stuff aside and start into something else. You name it...I've probably collected it or dabbled in it at one time or another...ANything that I could afford...So there aren't any exotic cars or anything great just.."hillbilly"(friends and I call the stuff we own, people with real money wouldn't want our junk) stuff. haha

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to know what a true double die coin looks like, here you go.
View attachment 1685007

The overwhelmed part, is that I only knew to do coins based off of condition.
Until recently, I didn't know that this world of errors existed.
An honest coin guy told me that I should buy a 20x loupe and see what he sees.
Grading coins, I never used higher than a 7x loupe.
Errors take more sometimes.
Not this nickel.
When Frank aka huntsman told me that is a DD.. I about sh!t myself!
There are a bunch more that look like it in different denominations.

Yeah, overwhelming to learn all of this.

If your going through unlabeled nickels...Watch out for Henning nickels. I had some from a friends collection and had no idea. I just happened to stumble onto it one day and went looking through the box..I found 2 or 3 (can't remember but I started a thread here a couple years ago when i found them) that he saved.

I tried to find the thread...I either dreamed it,can't find it, or was maybe having my period one night and erased the posts. :dontknow: I do that occasionally! :laughing7: To be serious, I had a family issue a while back and erased a bunch of posts and pics off of here. Long story..... But I was letting too much info out. I think everything is good now. I'm not a target of the Father in law lately.:laughing7: He's craaaazzzzyyy! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know .....but isn't that a banner worthy piece ? !!
Guess I should go and vote if I'm thinking it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude !!! You got alota coins posted up. Wow !!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
If your going through unlabeled nickels...Watch out for Henning nickels. I had some from a friends collection and had no idea. I just happened to stumble onto it one day and went looking through the box..I found 2 or 3 (can't remember but I started a thread here a couple years ago when i found them) that he saved.

That's funny and ironic at the same time!
I was researching this the other day, when looking through pops nickels, one felt heavier, even though it looks like a normal nickel... It felt too heavy!
Anyone who handles coins enough can instantly tell the difference between a zincoln and a REAL copper cent.
One of the nickels weighs 5.6 grams. However it does NOT have the signature die break that the Henning nickels have.
Another coin that needs to be checked by someone other than a novice like myself.
Thanks for reminding me about that. I hadn't labeled it yet and may have forgotten to do so.

I'll try to NOT overwhelm you guys/gals with it.
I did overwhelm the coin forum apparently.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am super tech dumb!!! I take pics....lose them in my computer.:laughing7: Once I finally figure out an OS, it's too old ! I finally figured out Vista and my new computers are windows 10. My new laptop is a Mac. Uggghhhhh! I'm not smart enough for all of this stuff!!:laughing7: I can't even figure out how to work FB!!!! All these programs want Sync and I don't want everything gathered together. But it won't give up!!!! Facebook and Google are really creepy, they are insistent on putting everything about you together. Ok...Rant over...Going back to push on!!!

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart,

Don't know all the rules but believe banner items have to be found metal detecting and be recent find....collection items not applicable.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,

I can't blame you for going overboard on your enthusiasm about the coin hoard. It's not every day someone hits the jackpot.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was researching this the other day, when looking through pops nickels, one felt heavier, even though it looks like a normal nickel... It felt too heavy!
Anyone who handles coins enough can instantly tell the difference between a zincoln and a REAL copper cent.
One of the nickels weighs 5.6 grams. However it does NOT have the signature die break that the Henning nickels have.
Another coin that needs to be checked by someone other than a novice like myself.
Thanks for reminding me about that. I hadn't labeled it yet and may have forgotten to do so.

Ya but Frank is great. Huntsman has even given me tips down here in the keys from when he detected key west long ago. Hes passionate about the shipwrecks too.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is some good info online..I can't seem to find it...It's hard to find the info..There are different variations of the hennings nickels...some odd balls. I don't remember if the die crack was on all, or if it was just a quick give away. I had also found one of the odd years that isn't in the regular descriptions of them. I finally ran into some article that had that year listed. I'm almost positive there were 2 or more different reverses. I wish I could find the pics to show you.....I edited the post you quoted saying that I think I erased them from the threads.

You probably already know about the silver war time nickels...The dead give away on those is the mint mark on the back above the building. That and you will tell the difference in color and sound...They just feel different. I don't know how many of those I dumped before I learned that one. haha

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I am super tech dumb!!! I take pics....lose them in my computer.:laughing7: Once I finally figure out an OS, it's too old ! I finally figured out Vista and my new computers are windows 10. My new laptop is a Mac. Uggghhhhh! I'm not smart enough for all of this stuff!!:laughing7: I can't even figure out how to work FB!!!! All these programs want Sync and I don't want everything gathered together. But it won't give up!!!! Facebook and Google are really creepy, they are insistent on putting everything about you together. Ok...Rant over...Going back to push on!!!

You just HAD to say that didn't you! :p
I know that you know that is my thing.
I'd suggest staying with microsuck winblows 7..but it is no longer supported and unless you are a nerd like me = NOT SAFE.
I'll help out somehow lol.. Gimme time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread