RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well........I found kurios kevin. Kevin, or kurios1 stopped posting abruptly 2 months ago. Hes recovering from a pretty bad stroke. Slowly getting back on his feet now. Pray for kevin and if you dont pray think about him from time t time. Hope you make a speedy recovery brother !!

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up guys? Just finished my hunt for today because a mean looking strom cloud was rolling through and looking pretty nasty. Wasn't a very productive day to say the lease. Found a bunch of nails, modern bullets, shells, old iron, few pennies ( oldest one was 1964.) And i found my very first axe head. That pinpointer is wonderful to be very honest!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I never was a big fan of the Stones. But my cousins were big time. I used to do an impersonation of Mick . Once I was at the dentist and the subject came up. I did the impersonation and the dentist cracked up. Then he called his whole staff in to watch. It was this song...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart,

Here's wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Regards + HH

Bill

Well........I found kurios kevin. Kevin, or kurios1 stopped posting abruptly 2 months ago. Hes recovering from a pretty bad stroke. Slowly getting back on his feet now. Pray for kevin and if you dont pray think about him from time t time. Hope you make a speedy recovery brother !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, Bart for letting us know. I've read quite a few of his posts.

Kurios1, Kevin, I will pray for your continued healing and recovery. :angel1:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
What's up guys? Just finished my hunt for today because a mean looking strom cloud was rolling through and looking pretty nasty. Wasn't a very productive day to say the lease. Found a bunch of nails, modern bullets, shells, old iron, few pennies ( oldest one was 1964.) And i found my very first axe head. That pinpointer is wonderful to be very honest!

Shoot, son. I'd be all giddy and shouting from the mountain top, if I found all that in one day! Congratulations on a fun day metal detecting!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Had an instructor at the demo range have a stroke whilst giving instruction on like our second day in the range classroom.

Day one the fella was acting odd already, but day two comes around and during instruction he starts screaming at us, who turned the lights off, turn them on now, speak up I am going to kick yourass all the way out of the army.

This cat flipped out bad for like a minute; I was in the front row and just figured some tard fell asleep in the back row and now he was messing with them. Then when he tried to walk forward he nearly fell over a desk a few down from me and it was clear that something was wrong but I sure as heck did not know what.

One of the other students said his father acted the same way when he had his stroke. Someone ran out to the range grabbed another SF Instructor.

Week later in formation, the one who helped him and the one who ran for help got ARCOMs, and we where all told that the fella had a stroke.

I got some down time I went over to the Library and tried to look up what all can happen to someone who has a stroke. I was in there for like 3 hours reading through all sorts of books and I guess I looked frustrated because some chick asked me if she could help me. I told her what happened to our instructor and she said that she is an PA with Ortho and heard about it. I told her I just wanted to look up like general signs and issues related to someone having a stroke but thus far everything I read it would be like looking in a Chevy repair for what happens when you run over a wild bore.

She said that there is really not a one size fits all issue with it and told me of all the things that could happen. Said sometimes there is a known reason and other times there is not.

Later found out that instructor was medically retired at 100% for that.

So I hope you mate gets better Bart.

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to keep the axe head because it's cool looking. The only problem i face is preserving it and finding a well typed out preservation process. I don't want to end up shocking myself to death.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea i hear you on that the only thing i can think of is a wire brush that is what my dad does sometimes

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to keep the axe head because it's cool looking. The only problem i face is preserving it and finding a well typed out preservation process. I don't want to end up shocking myself to death.

got a picture of it, I have many axe heads in my collection, paid for many of then aand found maany of them. Restored a great deal.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yea i hear you on that the only thing i can think of is a wire brush that is what my dad does sometimes

NO, bad idea mate.

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to take a picture in the morning because i locked up the building. Most likely the mud will be dry the time morning rolls around i will knock most of it off. I'll figure something out by tomorrow.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Randy,

There's various recommended ways of restoring axe heads. One is to soak it in apple cider vinegar to get off the worse of the rust.

Rinse it off dry and then tap off the rust....some people then bake them in the oven as a next step to get off the rest of the rust and then seal them in wax to keep the rust from returning.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have to take a picture in the morning because i locked up the building. Most likely the mud will be dry the time morning rolls around i will knock most of it off. I'll figure something out by tomorrow.

Cool, sounds good.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Randy, here is some information I found last year and my experience with it. I am sure I have a lot to learn about it, yet, though.

Ok here's some ways to clean / remove rust.

1. Check out this forum to help you make your decision: Cleaning & Preservation

2. Use electrolysis - this seems to me to be the fastest but I haven't tried it.

Rust Removal By Electrolysis - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki)

3. I was recently told by someone to just soak in motor oil for 6 months. Seems the easiest but longest. Again I haven't tried it and I didn't see anything that had gone through that process.

4. Use a product called Evapo-rust. My son-in-law used to work on motorcycles. He swears by this. Soak for a couple hours, rinse with denatured alcohol, coat with machine (motor oil). I have not done this but I am going to try it.

5. Use vinegar and salt.

Salt and Vinegar: Nature's Rust Remover - FineWoodworking

I did this method. Learn from my mistakes and success.
I put everything I had in the tub together - mistake. I had an old hub cap that turned pink and became more fragile than it was to begin with.
Surprise- I have a copper lightening rod that was green and brown. Now it is shiny and new looking.

Semi success- horseshoes and other iron pieces came out great. Had a couple mortise locks that were heavily corroded. A lot of the rust came off, but they needed to soak longer. My soaking time was six days only because I didn't have free time to deal with it. Your supposed to keep checking it.

Huge failure - I didn't have machine oil or motor oil. Everything got flash rust!
This was a lot of work and I don't have a place to work. I was using tubs in the backyard. So I am going to split things up. Some in the #3 & #4.

I hope this helps!

Update:

I never did find any Evapo Rust. So IDK if it works or not.

I still have stuff soaking in the oil. I've been thinking of checking on it. But eh.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WD,

I've tried the Evapo Rust and it does a good job it's a bit pricey and you have to be patient for it to gradually eat the rust off.

I found it at a local hardware store.

Regards + HH

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread