What's new

Rattle canned pan, what should I do?

Remove paint or no

  • Yes, it's no good for you.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you'll be okay.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Anubisking66

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently picked up a 10 inch gold pan from yard sale and it has been painted with a flat black spray paint should I remove the paint or will I be okay to use it with it painted?
 
I think you can use it as is, or just pan some coarse sand it in a bit, and the paint will wear off quickly.
 
Even though the paint will wear off quickly, I'd still remove first just to make sure there no hydrocarbons coming from it and floating gold away. If its a steel pan, just toss it into a campfire and burn it off.
 
Even though the paint will wear off quickly, I'd still remove first just to make sure there no hydrocarbons coming from it and floating gold away. If its a steel pan, just toss it into a campfire and burn it off.

Soaps cause a problem as well if I can remember right?
 
Soaps cause a problem as well if I can remember right?

Only when people put in way too much. Soap is only needed to break the surface tension that the gold rides on. Too many people dump in way too much and get suds which then give gold something else to float on. That why a lot recommend dishwasher rinse aide (aka jet-dry), and only a few drops.
 
If it’s metal you can drop it in boiling water and the paint will peel off within minutes.
 
Best of luck in find a lot of gold with your new pan.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom