What's new

Ravine Dig Finds

catherine1

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,080
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back digging the ravine at the edge of the field today. Found a little bit of luck. The point is very smooth to not have been found in a stream. I nicked it digging, and thats all I have to say about that. I believe the one rock is another paint pot. Thanks for viewing!
 

Attachments

  • 001 (1024x768).webp
    001 (1024x768).webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 586
  • 002 (1024x768).webp
    002 (1024x768).webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 003 (1024x768).webp
    003 (1024x768).webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0
Looks like you've got a very productive spot, nice finds.
 
catherine1, thru trail and error it's inevitable that we all nick some but I've found when digging if you insert the shovel horizontally instead of vertically, it minimizes the risk cause most artifacts are lying in situ horizontally.....
 
Nice haul! You're putting together a very nice collection. I know the pain about nicks, just yesterday, I banged the tip off of a nice Kirk (in the sifter) >:(
 
Catherine...somebody always seems to chime in with this comment. Today it's my turn! Are you sure about the paint pot? I've seen similar materials posted on this site, and they got shot down as natural occurances. They always catch my eye because I have a few just like it. I'm not saying they weren't in the hands of ancient man, but is it worked in any way? The two that I have were found in the area of other artifacts/flakes etc. so it seems more the coincidence.

If I'm wrong, somebody please educate me!
 
In fairness, I just re-read your post and see that you qualified with 'believe it is a paintpot'.
 
Hutch, you have a good point so I'll try to help out (I hope). The "pot" indeed is a natural formation but these nodules have been documented as having been used by Native Americans to make paint. Alot of them retain paint staining. Now it becomes more about context than anything. If it were found along side a creek, I'd call it a geofact. Found in a rock shelter with other period artifacts, I'd call it a paint pot.....unless, those type nodules occur naturally within the rock shelter. If they are natural to the shelter, they would appear to be "growing" out of the walls and there would be alot of them. If they are removed from a rock face, a large depression is left behind. It usually takes mother nature to release them "properly" as it's nearly impossible to force one out intact.
 
Thanks for views/replies. My father said he had one on the kitchen window sill when I showed him the pot. I have seen it, and know it is natural. However, I have found another whole and a couple brokes besides this one.. The first thing you will notice is the rims/walls are usually polished. The other is the dark red staining coloration. And some grinding in the bottom. I saw a couple at a local auction that fetched over 300.00. Lets see what the GR says. He has 20 times my experience! Thanks.
 
Thanks for the info Catherine. Here's a pic of one of the pieces I referenced. If nothing else, it comes in handy for holding the marbles and pearls I've found while walking the fields. Speaking of which, does anybody else tend to find marbles? These came from 3 different locations (each was near an old foundation which explains everything). Someday this hobby is going to get me featured on "Hoarders".
 

Attachments

  • Stone with Bowl Shape.webp
    Stone with Bowl Shape.webp
    91.2 KB · Views: 441
Thanks for the pic. I have found a couple of marbles walking fields. Your marble holder has no red pigment color, but if you found in context with other artifacts it could be a cup.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom