Real or fake?

Jeff3006

Aug 11, 2020
Luzerne county PA
Detector(s) used
At pro, pro pointer at
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for a coffee last night and found this in the parking lot. At first i thought definitely fake as there is no markings on the setting. It looks to be ran over several times and beat up pretty bad. But after looking for a while it kinda has the color of rose gold. Showed it to my mother and she told me to take it to a jeweler. What do you guys think? Is it worth getting checked out?
20200902_073330.jpg

Upvote 3

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a loupe to look at the post. That's where you will find the marks.

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check at the jeweler like your mom says. You might even get a nice offer if it's what we all think :thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also buy an inexpensive diamond tester off the net and a gold tester if you want. Saves gas money in the long run driving to get an opinion.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a smart mom ! Good luck, hope its real.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the tie clip below to my local jeweler (5 min from the house, so not much cost in gas) and he was nice enough to tell me that the gold was real 22k+, but also he told me about "drop gold" jewelry from the early 20th century. What is "drop gold jewelry? He explained that in the early 20th century it was common/stylish to take melted gold and "drop" it in water to cool it quickly in a shape that looked like a nugget, and then attach that pseudo-nugget to jewelry. He wasn't saying that this was a "fake" nugget because he said it's very difficult to tell (though he thought this was a real nugget), but he said it was one possibility with this piece.

I learned a lot by taking my find (which was $2.00 at an estate sale) to the jeweler and I'd suggest you do the same Jef! Good luck.

- Brian

ngOoZbd.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Take it to two or three different jewelers if you don't have a tester...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeweler should not charge you for verification, but if he the makes you an offer, decline it then get other bids. If the stone is big and the other "C's" associated with gems are there ('cut', 'clarity', etc), you might consider submitting the stone to the GIA for verification and grading.
Good luck !
Don...........

OP
OP
J

Jeff3006

Aug 11, 2020
Luzerne county PA
Detector(s) used
At pro, pro pointer at
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well took it to the jeweler. Genuine, big , beautiful cubic Zirconia lol. Sure did get the ticker pumping though!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well took it to the jeweler. Genuine, big , beautiful cubic Zirconia lol. Sure did get the ticker pumping though!

Sorry Jeff!
It begs the question: is it better to know, or better to dream?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it's a really big CZ! Something else to look for in the future...a rock like that would have a screw-on back. Better luck next time. Keep looking down!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread