All Treasure Hunting

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure you have to have the right charger for each kind, I have rebuilt a few, get the batterys with the solder tabs on them, makes it a lot easier.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting ready to do the same thing for a garrett sea hunter. I have no clue where to find the little flat metal that is soldered from battery to battery(anyone know??) I have come up with using telephone wire, I figure with the 4 insulated lines inside of the main insulation it should provide proper current without impeding since phone line is designed for low impedance. I am going with the same type battery so as to not worry with the charger which is a major pain in the butt to find on certain machines especially this one. I hope for the best results and least headaches for you on your project and please keep us informed on your progress. I am thinking of recording how I do mine so it can serve as a guideline for others.

OP
OP
F

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be able to purchase a battery pack already with the flat metal soldered in place. Thats what I did. Do some research i am sure you can find it. I replaced mine this weekend. I used it and it works good.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact batterystation.com
They've helped me in the past.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well I finished the battery pack even though 2 soldering irons crapped out on me-1 totally died and the other wanted to work half the time. Ended up finding out that because my garrett sea hunter xl200 is old the rechargeable C batteries that were original are smaller than the new C batteries you can get. I did make the battery pack and the lights work, its charging now. Yes I could have probably bought another original pack from somewhere but I was having a heck of a time finding the batteries anywhere except Garrett and that would have cost me $130 for them to fix it plus shipping costs. I will try this first, if not then I know I can send it to Garrett. I love to fix stuff on my own, gives me a sense of pride when I do it myself.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Do Yourself a big favor and forget about rebuilding a rechargeable pack! Instead get another regular battery pack and two sets of rechargeable Li batteries and the charger for them. They will last longer than alkaline batteries on a charge, plus they don't self discharge. That is if you charge them today and they sit for a month, they will still be charged.
Hay, I converted one and I can tell you it is not worth it. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the nicad packs do not hold a charge as long as the other type of batteries. I use the nicad packs as a back up. I normally use rechargeable NiMH in the normal battery pack they last a lot longer than the nicad.

OP
OP
F

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank:
I did some research to find Litium Ion AA 1.5 volt rechargable batteries and it does not look as if anyone even makes them. The AA Litium Ion batteries are a higher voltage.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frank:
I did some research to find Litium Ion AA 1.5 volt rechargable batteries and it does not look as if anyone even makes them. The AA Litium Ion batteries are a higher voltage.

They are out there, but hard to find. One of the venders here actually makes the Li battery packs. They are 1.7 per cell, but don't worry, the XLT has a built in voltage regulator. Batteries are evolving rapidly because of the electric car research. Some hobby shops might have them. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread