Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_3791.jpg 100_3790.jpg 100_3792.jpg
Found this interesting stone yesterday. It is 3" across, I have found some small triangular pieces about 3/4" long not sure what they are. Someone told me they were pigment stones and when needed some was scraped off to use, don't know.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they did like the color red I find plenty of hammers made from red sandstone cobbles. Yours looks to be shaped maybe from grinding meal on it. Any dimples on it? The manos I find are made from red sandstone cobbles to.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a rock.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry willjo. There are some folks on here who will tell you every slightly chipped or strangely shaped rock you find is a 'genuine Indian artifact', but that ain't the case. If they were paint stones, they will generally be found in a village site, so did you find any other things in the area that you thought might be Indian related? The best thing for your find is 'What would I use this for?,' so see if you can scrape some off and if it is a usable paint.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess the two most common paint stones would be hematite for red pigment and graphite for black. But such stones are going to show a surface that has been scraped for the pigment. Your rock, in contrast, does not show it was being scraped. Had it been a paint stone, it would show it had been used that way. Look at the difference with these 2 graphite paint stones. You can see these pieces were scraped and gouged for the graphite, which would then usually be mixed with bear fat, I guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's another example of a paint stone. A lot of RI Formation shale has pockets of hemetite(ochre) and limonite(yellow pigment). This little shale pebble apparently had a pocket of yellow limonite that was extracted. Found on same camp as the graphite paint stones. It would have already been a broken pebble by the looks of it with a fat pocket of limonite....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 90

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread