What's new

Reference book on buttons needed

julesjunk

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
295
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Wife asking me for Christmas list. Wanting to expand my reference library. Need recommendations on button books, military or otherwise.
Thanks......
Jules
 
Get "Dating Buttons" and "Uniform Buttons of the United States". Both books authored by "Warren K. Tice"
 
The above listed book is #1. :thumbsup:


Also consider Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert.



These mentioned above are the Big Three. Then you can specialize into Transportation Uniform Buttons by Donald P. Van Court (Three volumes, and Pricey! :o)--or Hughes & Lester's The Big Book of Buttons if you're so inclined.



Best Wishes,




Buckleboy
 
Ouch........ just did a search on the trans Uniform books.
I don't think my wife would be too keen on spending $500 on a set of button books. :) I think I can pull off one of the Tice books though......

thanks BB and Tom for your responses.

Regards,
Jules
 
Albert's book, although admittedly somewhat dated, remains the definitive general reference for uniform buttons. While it is neither as thorough on individual buttons nor as beautifully presented as Tice's, it covers a much broader range of material. Many important buttons simply cannot be found in any other readily available reference.

Also, I believe that Tice's excellent Dating Buttons is, or was, out of print. If you can't find a copy, then I'd recommend American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks and Dates by McGuinn and Bazelon. This small volume was for many years the only good backmarks reference and is still well worth having.

As for Van Court's books on transportation buttons, they're actually quite affordable. This dealer lists them for around $35-45, depending on the volume:

http://www.cbweiser.com/books.htm
 
PBK said:
Albert's book, although admittedly somewhat dated, remains the definitive general reference for uniform buttons. While it is neither as thorough on individual buttons nor as beautifully presented as Tice's, it covers a much broader range of material. Many important buttons simply cannot be found in any other readily available reference.

Also, I believe that Tice's excellent Dating Buttons is, or was, out of print. If you can't find a copy, then I'd recommend American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks and Dates by McGuinn and Bazelon. This small volume was for many years the only good backmarks reference and is still well worth having.

As for Van Court's books on transportation buttons, they're actually quite affordable. This dealer lists them for around $35-45, depending on the volume:

http://www.cbweiser.com/books.htm

Thanks for the link, PBK! :thumbsup:
 
Thanks PBK, for the site referral. I just emailed them inquiring on availability of the Don Van Court books. With any luck, I might order an early Christmas gift for myself :)

Kind Regards,
Jules
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom