Reinforced Sterling

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy much silver (other than coins and bullion) but have an opportunity to buy some sterling. How do people value the silver in a piece that is reinforced with cement?

Thanks in advance.

I've been informed that a safe estimate in weighted pieces is that 10% of the weight is sterling.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you mean weighted and reinforced like candlesticks and candalabras? Maybe a sugar bowl or compote? If it is weighted, then generally 10% of the weight is sterling. It can be higher with nicer pieces, but you can't count on that. Usually people want an unreasonable price for weighted sterling as a scrap item. Look for the makers mark and condition, because you could buy as scrap and flip on ebay as a nice sterling piece.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's tricky... Best to be familiar with weighted silver and have scrapped a few pieces. Can you post a picture of the items in question?

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The few pieces I have scrapped yielded 11%-15%.

So 10% sounds like a good number.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just scrapped out a weighted and reinforced Towle candleabra. It weighed 36 ounces before scrapping. It yielded a little more than 5 ounces of scrap, not including the arms. The 10% rule is a good one, as most items fall eight around or just above that. That being said, if the pieces are in good condition and not all dented up or with twisted bases, then they will fetch a higher price than scrap value. Different makers command different prices. It's best to know what brand your dealing with. So basically what everyone else has said I can agree with.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info.

Now that I have silver experts' attention, could someone give me an idea of the resale price I could expect on a sterling bowl - I understand it is a B 262 Paul Revere Exemplar 1762. Couldn't find a match on eBay.

Thanks again

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info.

Now that I have silver experts' attention, could someone give me an idea of the resale price I could expect on a sterling bowl - I understand it is a B 262 Paul Revere Exemplar 1762. Couldn't find a match on eBay.

Thanks again
https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2542B/lots/1054 Need to see marks to see if it is a Watson or Fisher repro. The link I provided is a Watson, sold for $1422.00.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread