Remember me?

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I thought I would like to MD, and then my life took a u-turn after my husband died in a car wreck.
I truly enjoy reading here and I like looking at the finds but I no longer need a new hobby as I am busy being 'mom' and attempting to get thru this life.
I think detecting is a wonderful thing, not for monetary values, but as a terrific hobby.
I know that I am always thrilled to find anything....for instance...a hot wheels car left on the beach....JOY JOY.
I wonder sometimes about serious searchers for treasures.
The find and the excitement, I understand that.
Is most of the world (and I am not speaking of you that find and are thrilled with a find) just greedy for money?
I hate that.
Poor is poor, if a find helps your finances I am happy for you, but what about people who only want a hobby.
What would most of you good people enjoy....money or the treasure?
I guess what I really want\need to know, is how evil is this world (in your opinion).

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
there are plenty of gready people, and many more great honest hard working people,just check out our members. it depends on your outlook, i am just happy to get out and locate places i didnt know about, finding relics, pieces of the past and enjoy the out doors, i hope you get out and enjoy nature

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
So sorry about your loss pretty lady! I can only imagine what all you are going through trying to keep up with everything now and yet am oh so very glad you took the time to stop in for a visit even if it is a short one. Yes, there are a lot of evil greedy people in the world. Praise God there are also a lot of folks that are not as you can see from looking at this site. A great deal of truly generous loving people that are gathering together and it gives those that get tired of all the greed in the world to go and see there are still good people as well. As far as finds....I think it is just the excitement of finding anything....Yesterday I was all wound up and excited about finding the front piece of a broken toy car. lol Would I love to find a huge cache that would make me rich beyond my wildest dreams? Absolutely! Who wouldn't? I still get excited about pretty much ANY find I come across....it is fun to search. It is also a lot of fun to come here and share that love of searching with others that have become my family....my tnet family. You are part of that as well and I hope to see you back here when you find time! Keep in touch! ~hugs~

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe take your kids with ya detecting, may be a good stress relief for you and the kids, they love to dig too.. glad to see you back, I am sorry to hear of your loss, but I hope you pop back in more often..
wishing you well,
Bootybay

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
There seem to be a few people that's only interested in the possible financial gain . While most of
us hope for valueable finds , most people metal detect for a fun hobby . It is a great way to get out and
just enjoy yourself for a while . When I was younger I trout fished mountain streams & while doing that
I forgot the rest of the world existed . Metal detecting is the only other thing I've found that can take me
to that place . I think most people that are only in it for the greed , would soon tire of it & move on to
something else . There is a little bit of the dreamer in most people & that keeps drawing us back to the
stories of the big treasures . Sorry for your loss & I hope you can find that interest or activity that takes
you away from everyday life for a while . There are a lot of good caring people on here who are willing
to jump in & give a person a helping hand & prayers are sincere & freely given . Paul

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
With me, it's the thrill of the chase. Just trying to find something that someone last held years ago. Civil War Relics come to mind. I really don't like hunting beaches, and I have tried.

Good to see ya posting again, Kya. :)

DM

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
WV Hillbilly said:
There seem to be a few people that's only interested in the possible financial gain . While most of
us hope for valueable finds , most people metal detect for a fun hobby . It is a great way to get out and
just enjoy yourself for a while . When I was younger I trout fished mountain streams & while doing that
I forgot the rest of the world existed . Metal detecting is the only other thing I've found that can take me
to that place . I think most people that are only in it for the greed , would soon tire of it & move on to
something else . There is a little bit of the dreamer in most people & that keeps drawing us back to the
stories of the big treasures . Sorry for your loss & I hope you can find that interest or activity that takes
you away from everyday life for a while . There are a lot of good caring people on here who are willing
to jump in & give a person a helping hand & prayers are sincere & freely given . Paul

Paul, you got it right on.......I love to just get out and be with nature. If I find something, fine. If I don't, that is also fine.

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
For me its all about finding the unknown. I know that I probably won't find the treasure that I could retire on but I still get out there for several reasons. I love to be with nature and I sometimes even forget I am detecting and start looking at rocks and birds. I also use detecting as a way to clear my mind. I love the solitude that comes with it. I can really get some things figured out while i'm out there.
I also hunt for the history factor. As soon as I find something my mind starts racing wondering who lost it, why was it lost, and the fact that I'm am the first person to see the item in upteen years.

We are sorry for your loss and don't ever feel that your alone. You can always turn here for someone to talk to. Keep your head up and be grateful for what the Lord has given you and find your own source of solitude.
You may find, that the greatest treasure, can't be dug out of the ground.

Take care...Ace

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: I feel obligated to answer this since I am a serious treasure hunter, in fact a professional treasure hunter on land. I have been for years, and frankly I cannot think of a single act that I may have done that I should be ashamed of. Oh YES, I am after the money, and thoroughly enjoy it when I find it with a clear conscious, realizing that I am putting lost valuables back into the economy. The historical research is extremely rewarding also. In fact I am about to rewrite the history of Jesuit activities in north western Mexico and the Western US, also various exploration efforts by the Spanish and others..

I am surprised how easily the public, and particularly some detectorists, have assumed the cloak of being greedy or destructive by the various media by merely detecting. Frankly this is ridiculous. Enjoy it for whatever phase you wish with a clear conscious, it is fun..

As for holes, yes, they should be filled in, but seriously, all of the detectorists combined in a year, cannot equal the holes etc dug by animals daily in the search of food. As for the "ugh" factor, have you ever visited an area where a rock festival has been held the day after? Or for that matter, any major sporting event? We have entire families earning their living cleaning up after the other righteous ones. I doubt that detectorists can compete for sheer destructiveness or pollution - or should I say, piggishness?

Without treasure hunters, much of today's history would still be unwritten, may I point out Troy as an example? Or many other sites that were discovered by "greedy" treasure hunters. Practically none of the data on the Spanish treasure fleets or the Oriental trade fleets, would be known today without "greedy" treasure hunters. Since no govt's are wiling to finance these types of activities, the professional must do it himself, and since they invest vast sums of earned and lost income, as well as years in many cases, why shouldn't they be rewarded for their efforts? If they didn't do it, nothing would soon be left to recover.

No, I ama professional treasure hunter and am "not" ashamed of it, it has given me a life that I could never have hoped for if I had stayed at my civilian profession. I have had unique experiences which can never be reproduced in today's world. I have been able to explore from the Gobi to the Jungles of Yucatan, to the then unknown barrancas of north western Mexico, which rival the grand canyon is sheer magnificence. I have experienced the turning back of the clock to the 1800's, to where at times I could ride my mule for a week at a time without meeting another human, looking for lost Jesuit mines, successfully I might add. But frankly, the sheer enjoyment of this life style was payment in full. K, so I am atavistic heeheh.

No, the detectorist must learn to enjoy their hobby or business with a clear conscious, don't be brain washed into feeling guilty. The same media blissfully ignores destructive housing and commercial developments which have destroyed more archaeological sites in a year than a 1000 years of detectorist's efforts.

Side thingie, because of my side efforts of exploration as a professional treasure hunter, I have been elected into the Elite Explorers club. A boyhood dream come true.

www.explorers.org

I am also including a copy of another post that I did on earning a living as a professional treasure hunter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OHIO: Yes it IS still possible, BUT, only if you go at it like any other occupation - with the proper training, equipment, financing, and dedication. You will not make it as a week end hobbyist who is basically interested in fun with occasional luck, you must go at it full time, in both field and research...

If you hit one good one a year, you will be extremely lucky.

I know, since I have gone this route, I prob would have earned much more money, "until recently" if I had stayed in my chosen civilian profession. There were many lean periods where I could not even think of buying a coca cola or a cup of coffee without examining my personal finances very very carefully, than there were periods of "Wine and Roses"

If you are prepared to accept the lean periods, as well as the scarce Fat ones, then it can give you a life style, that is in my opinion, "incomparable".

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. As I memtioned when youi first entered kaya, you are now with your new family, enjoy us for better or worse.

Attachments

• .jpgmembership©@.jpg
    .jpgmembership©@.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 361
  • TAYOPA COUNTRY©.jpg
    TAYOPA COUNTRY©.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 360

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I, for one, would LOVE to read your book when it is done Don Jose! What a fascinating life you lead and I certainly hope none of my comments about there being greedy people in the world were taken as being aimed toward anyone like yourself. To me greed is when a person is after money for the sake of money alone, not interested in who they hurt in the process or at all interested in the process. There are many like that in this world but I do not consider people like you to be a part of that. You truly enjoy the history you are searching for and are eager to share your experiences with others and inspire many of us. Thanks for all you add to our forum. You know we love ya! :wink:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI CYNGAL: sheehs :-[, :-* Never you LUV, just trying to let detectorists relax and enjoy their hobby or business without being made to feel guilty by the media, and some Archaeoligist's, false reporting. They have no reason to feel guilt, just enjoy..

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. You will have a free autographed copy LUV. I will even put on some lipstick - your favorite color - and counter seal it with a smooch.

Shaddup guys, sheesh no, I don't use lipstick, just using it to intensify and make visible the smooch in this case. sheesh.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
psst Real..empty your mailbox please tried to pm ya..
mucho gracious rae

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
From the little time I've been able to MD, It's like hunting & fishing. The thrill of the hunt & being outdoors - NOT filling your bag (The only time I look to fill the bag is mushroom season). If you find, or catch, something - great! If you're with good company - so much the better.

If you want pressure & frustration - play golf.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Real de Tayopa said:
HI CYNGAL: sheehs :-[, :-* Never you LUV, just trying to let detectorists relax and enjoy their hobby or business without being made to feel guilty by the media, and some Archaeoligist's, false reporting. They have no reason to feel guilt, just enjoy..

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. You will have a free autographed copy LUV. I will even put on some lipstick - your favorite color - and counter seal it with a smooch.

Shaddup guys, sheesh no, I don't use lipstick, just using it to intensify and make visible the smooch in this case. sheesh.

:angel8: Yay!!

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Sorry for you sudden lost!!!! I try to go to work everyday to make sure my family have a roof and food on the table. Also... so I can enjoy my hobby when ever possible.

:sunny: Happy Easter.

OP
OP
K

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
Oh my middle of the a.m. postings.
I love the thought of this hobby, I love to see what has been found, I had a totally other greed filled person upsetting my mind last night.
Not an MDer at all.
Keep on digging (for my own viewing pleasure).

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Hang in there lady and if you need someone to listen, pm me and I will be glad to be there. ~hugsnprayers~

OP
OP
K

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
I'm hanging and not even by a thread but a nice swing attached to a strong branch.
Thank you.
I'm good and I plan to remain good (if not better).

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI ROB: You posted --->

"I try to go to work everyday to make sure my family have a roof and food on the table. Also... so I can enjoy my hobby when ever possible. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frankly, this takes more intestinal fortitude than I have ROB, I salute you. Keep swinging my friend, and best of luck.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread