Remember me?

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
Remember me? First let me say I am sorry for your loss. Greed is everywhere and so is evil The best we can do is to follow our own hearts. This hobby takes me away from today and back to yesteryear when I was young at heart and full of curiosity and wonder.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember Me? - Myself, I'm in it for the excitement of a few coins. Silver is wonderful and, to date, I have not sold any (silver or copper) except the clad I clean and put back in circulation. The rings I either keep or turn into the town office for the "Lost and found".

Most of my hunting is in town parks and my chances of ever finding much of value other than high school class rings is about nill.

Occasionally I branch out to older sites and hope for some old coins. Anything in the 1800's is a treasure to me. As is a sleigh/crotal bell or a buckle. I have no plans to get rich off it and just like the chance to touch some history.

Don de La Mancha - hope you find a Sancho Panza to keep you out of too much trouble. :wink:

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
When you come down to the reality of treasure hunting, whether using a detector, scuba, deep sea, or just walking along and eyeballing, the fact is that we require others to lose something so that we can find it. Without getting lost in the miasma of definitions, finding something that was lost a good amount of years previously should not offer any guilt when found.

Things are lost when people are careless and you could say that's the price they pay. When you hunt at a beach hoping to find gold jewelry you are sort of wishing that the visitors to the beach were careless so that you can be "lucky." However, again, the period between the losing and the finding feels better when it's many years between the two. Some detectorists feel good about finding recent lost items and will make an attempt to locate the owner. If with success, good feelings all around. If without success, a feel-good period 'cause an attempt was made.

Doing a lot bending and kneeling is good for the body and beats going to a gym and the stress one puts one through. It's a social activity in which others look to you for information about an activity that at first seems strange.

In my opinion, very few detectorists - if any - would not call themselves "greedy." A lot of detectorists don't cash in on their finds but create collections which they are proud to show off. At my age, 70, cashing in a priceless object would be my first course, I don't have years to enjoy a collection. But it's still not greedy, just common sense. The thrill of the find will last as a great, priceless memory.

Evil is a human creation, it doesn't exist on its own. There's good and there's bad and the bad can be seen as evil but it's either a human decision to be bad or it's caused by mental inbalance due to many physical reasons.

Sorry about your loss, nothing can match it in its intenseness.

Silver Fox

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sorry for your loss.

About greed and evil-- there is a whole lot of that in the world; maybe there always has been. But, like I used to tell my kids while they were growing up...don't worry so much about others' behavior--worry about your own.
When it comes to treasure hunting, and anything else you choose to spend your time on, aiming for success is not greedy or evil. It's f u n !!! Honestly, I want to become so good at finding treasure that I can quit my paycheck job.
Today is Easter Sunday. My family spent the day in the desert with digging tools; not searching for something that we could keep. We were digging a suspicious mound that my daughter found last week that may be a grave. [A woman was killed a few miles from this location and her family still searches for the remains]. The man who killed her was poor, yet what he choose to do was probably the greediest thing possible.

Again, I am sorry for your loss. Someday, you'll be together again. {{{prayers}}}

Do you have a metal detector to use?

I am new to this site and the peoples here are really kind and awesome. Hope you come back often!

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WoW... my previous post sounded harsh and I didn't intend for ThaT! My apologies and a clarification...yes, there is evil and greed in the world. But not so much with treasure hunters--most are just over-grown 4 year olds. Don't focus on the bad stuff...keep in mind that you can bring a lot of sunshine to your piece of the world.
It is okay to have fun.
What kind of detector do you have?

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I'm in this hobby for pure fun. Let's face facts, if you are in it for the money then a part time job will provide you much more for your time than treasure hunting. I sometimes (most times) spend more on gas than I get back in change. I hunt for gold at the beach but rarely get any. Those pesky coins keep getting in my way and I just can't ignore a good quarter sound no matter how hard I try. But again, it's fun, relaxing and gets me away for the real world if for only a little while.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Kya said:
I thought I would like to MD, and then my life took a u-turn after my husband died in a car wreck.
I truly enjoy reading here and I like looking at the finds but I no longer need a new hobby as I am busy being 'mom' and attempting to get thru this life.
I think detecting is a wonderful thing, not for monetary values, but as a terrific hobby.
I know that I am always thrilled to find anything....for instance...a hot wheels car left on the beach....JOY JOY.
I wonder sometimes about serious searchers for treasures.
The find and the excitement, I understand that.
Is most of the world (and I am not speaking of you that find and are thrilled with a find) just greedy for money?
I hate that.
Poor is poor, if a find helps your finances I am happy for you, but what about people who only want a hobby.
What would most of you good people enjoy....money or the treasure?
I guess what I really want\need to know, is how evil is this world (in your opinion).

I guess there are some who wonders and wishes for the "find" but most as myself just enjoy see the "what" on each dig.

I have no idea what it is like to lose a spouse but can only imagine the life changing event as scary to say the least. The unknown always is when it comes to life. My friend each of us here send you many hugs, you have our prayers and you have us also anytime you need. You are prayed for daily every morning and night so know God is looking over you. There is nothing He can't handle for you.

The world is a very evil place as many of the lost only care about what they can have and will not care how they acquire it. Still though the world has many great and caring folks in it too. People that know our time on earth is a short time and our true "treasure" is the fact Jesus died for us and those of us who believe in Him shall not perish but have ever lasting life. As we just celebrated Easter and His resurrection conquering death I will end with. He is the "find and treasure" I wish everyone discovered.

Take Care

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Sherman: you posted ---->

how evil is this world (in your opinion)."

Basically, not too evil, on the contrary.

I remember once when I had been in the bush for a few weeks, I saw a small shack down in a small valley. With night approaching, and rain positive, I decided to see if I could spend the night there. As I approached, I commenced whistling as is the custom to let anyone there know that you are not sneaking up with evil intentions. Promptly a very small, skinny Indian appeared at the Door and as I approached, he said "Bien venido a mi casa, mi amigo, mi casa es suyo". (Welcome to my home my friend, my house is yours).

As I dismounted, he took my mule to his small corral and gave her some feed. then turning to me, grasped my elbow and led me into his home. It was only one small room with some old worn out blankets in one corner on the floor, a hand made wooden table with three hand made chairs and a small cooking area in a corner. His family were all looking at me with huge eyes, two small children and an extremely skinny woman of indeterminate age.

He told me to sit at the table, which I did. We made small talk for a bit then his wife brought me two tortillas and a cup of hot sugar cane juice. He apologized, and in a matter of fact tone, said that this was all that he could offer me since his small crop had failed. Naturally I denied being hungry and said that this was excellent and only ate 1/2 of one tortilla.. Meanwhile I was looking out of the corner of my eye at the children and his wife who were sharing a single tortilla between them. He was obviously not going to eat.

I then went to my saddle bags and brough out my store of Coffee, flour, beans etc along with a bag of hard candy which I normally rationed after my evening meal on the trail as a sort of luxury. I gave the kiddies one each, then handed the bag to the woman along with the coffee. She was almost crying at this simple gesture and promptly made a cup of coffee which she shared with her husband. She told me that she hadn't tasted coffee in almost a year since they had no money. She made a sort of soup with the flour, then fed the kiddies.
We shortly went to sleep

The next morning as I left, I gave her most of my trail supplies and money, telling her that the money was useless to me where I was going, She then actually cried and kissed my hand which embarrassed me.

When I reached the turn off above their little valley I could still see them watching me, and then waving.

Later I heard that he had tried to go to the US illegally to look for work, but that he had disappeared. When I tried to contact his family to help them, I had no success, they had abandoned the little home and disappeared when he failed to return..

K, the question is is the world bad? no, it it isn't, while people can react violently, even evilly as a group, such as a mob, or unthinkingly, they are inherently good. Here this man had almost nothing, yet he was quite willing to unhesitatingly share what little he had with a complete stranger, a foreigner at that. To me this is represents basic humanity, good.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post.

In my limited experience I'd rate the U.S. as 30% good, 65% neutral that swing either way to some extent and 5% bad. I've only spent a total of maybe 60 days outside the U.S. and have been snubbed a bit but again I'd say 95% was good, friendly interaction. The smile opens more doors than the shout. I have been embarrassed by other Americans and said so at the time. Sometimes you run up against maliciousness or prejudice that is not truly evil but can have that appearance (especially if it is directed at you). The folks that can look you in the eyes and be cruel to you are, thankfully, rare. But many folks can be "opportunists" when they don't have to look you in the eyes or just spot an opportunity without thinking it fully through.

I don't know that American needs the draft or manditory service, but if everyone had to do four weeks in a soup canteen for the homeless or destitute when they turned 18 and looked the folks who have bottomed out (and their children) in the face we might have a better grasp of how fragile your standing in the world can be.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHIO Charlie;' I tend to agree with you. I have explored / traveled most of the Pacific basin, generally alone. I always have been treated very courteously. Perhaps it is because of my attitude. I have yet to meet a person that can't teach me something, hence simply because of perhaps a higher formal education, I am not superior to him / her. I have no superior attitude, but definitely an equal one, From Presidente to the lowest peon, male or female, they are all the same to me, my equals. However "they" might disagree . hehehhe.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Heya Kya,

Speaking as one who has lost as you have, I find that there are more decent people than not. I myself enjoy the hobby as just that, a hobby. There are very few who can do this and make a profit, and I would hardly call them greedy anyways... they put in a lot of time and money to recover the "easy money", LOL!

Hope you find whatever you're looking for! :)

OP
OP
K

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky
Jeffro said:
Heya Kya,

Speaking as one who has lost as you have, I find that there are more decent people than not. I myself enjoy the hobby as just that, a hobby. There are very few who can do this and make a profit, and I would hardly call them greedy anyways... they put in a lot of time and money to recover the "easy money", LOL!

Hope you find whatever you're looking for! :)

Honey, I hope I find what I am looking for too!

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
I do it for the thrill of discovery. There's nothing like the feeling of touching a coin or relic that noone has touched for a hundred+ years, not to mention, the research is rewarding all in itself.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZEN: You have it down pat my friend, it isn't how big it is, but the story behind it that is important - unless you are trying to make a living at it, then it is a 50 / 50 proposition.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions