What's new

research

Lotsawhatzits

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi. I'm new to this forum and metal detecting. Does anyone know of a way to take old maps (like the sandborn maps in pdf. format) and overlay them over current maps?
 
I know how to overlay them over google earth satellite images. Will that do?
 
What type of imaging software do you use?
I use photo draw to get the old plat maps and then overlay them on modern maps or aerial photos. Sanborns are much more exact of course but if you can isolate the old sites you can pretty much mentally id the areas you want to hit. Backyards, clothelines, summer kitchens, privies and best of all herb or flower gardens.
 
Thanks for the help. I have dial up out here in the sticks, so I can't get google earth without timing out but I will try it on a friends computer. I was trying to find a way to take the sanborn map and put it in photoshop and make the background a transparency, but the pdf format won't convert.
 
Roek said:
Thanks for the help. I have dial up out here in the sticks, so I can't get google earth without timing out but I will try it on a friends computer. I was trying to find a way to take the sanborn map and put it in photoshop and make the background a transparency, but the pdf format won't convert.

No problem!

once you have the portion of the Adobe file on your screen, hit "print screen"

Then open microsoft paint, or other program, and hit Control + V

Then crop accordingly and resave as a JPEG.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Thanks BuckleBoy,
BTW, what is the picture of in your avitar?
 
You're welcome :) Let me know if it works.

Roek said:
Thanks BuckleBoy,
BTW, what is the picture of in your avitar?


Looks like Nuts of Steel to me.  :wink: :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom