Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well that is what Silvermonkey wrote about my posting of the American Revolutionary cannon ball a while back. Actually "That's an impressive set if balls U have there Castineman1779" Yup wether digging them or climbing a dangerous cliff to find relics from the battle/siege known as "The Penobscot Expedition" I indeed do and thank you.
So two days ago I made my last trip to this site that have been so good to me in the last 23 years . My mission that day was twofold as always on or about the 4th I go to a little hill above "Trask Rock" to reflect on the battle there and a 20 minute skirmish between the American Marines, militia and British regulars holding the high ground. That short period lasted only 20 minutes but took the lives of an estimated 100 American's. Some of them buried in shallow now unmarked graves not far from where I sit that made it up that steep ridge while as one soldier later related "Musket balls were raining down upon us like hailstones. " I think about all the relics I have found there over the years like the ones I am putting up a pic of that day and wonder if any of those missles of death, other than musket balls , found there mark and the soldiers duty of both armies was done that day. I being an old Vet knows that feeling well. I then get up , lock my heals and rending my "Band of Brothers" a hand salute. I then pick up my Deus and continue the hunt. \
So here r my relics for a 5 hour hunt. Nope no gold guinea, French cannon ball , one pound American cannon ball or rare 6 pounder bar shot to wow u with and just some relics of grape shot , pistol and musket balls of both armies. A great picture of "Trask Rock" where Cpt John Hinkley gave his life standing on it spurring his men on that early morning and probably the first to die from a British musket ball. A pic of 4 grape fired that day from one of 4 American ships in a 20 minute cannonade and some fired and dropped musket and pistol balls. The last holding up a large grape shot against a backdrop of Trask Rock. My way of thanking them for their service and sacrifice. This is pure history that belongs to all Americans and I hope on days like the 4th of July we thank the men that picked up the musket, fought for our Liberties and also the women who supported them and their cause. Thanks and hopefully see u all that visited my posts and made comments I hope did that history justice. See u this Fall. . A last note .Thank u all for trying to salvage the gold coin my friends. Water under the bridge now and time to let it go. However I appreciate u fighting for it. Even though British soldier owned this gold it is as American as apple pie so here is a final look. Gary

Attachments

• Trask Rock (2).jpg
    Trask Rock (2).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN3821.JPG
    DSCN3821.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3577 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN3577 - Copy.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN3497.JPG
    DSCN3497.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN3503.JPG
    DSCN3503.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Castineman1779, thank you for another wonderful accounting of your hunt. It is always a pleasure to read your postings as they are so detailed I can imagine being there on your hunt. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post and congrats on the finds...

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How come your gold coin didn’t make banner?
Makes no sense to me.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply a great post...

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gary for this and all your posts and the research that you've shared. I often get the same feelings
looking over the CW battle sites that literally surround my home. Regardless of their motivations or
beliefs they were all Americans who braved to advance in the face of terrible carnage.
That's real faith and I believe that all our battlefields should remain monuments to that.

Best wishes!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary,
We ooh and aah over the pics of the wonderful finds that you have made - but to me, the greatest enjoyment has come from your depiction and obvious passion with which you have described the events of the Penobscot Expedition.

I have been reading the books that you suggested in another post and have become addicted to this amazing story. In addition, that has led to reading about the interesting characters and very honorable British officers such as McNeil and Moore. Moore's life story is particularly inspirational. He refused to commit atrocities despite orders to do so in Ireland around 1798 by a brutal commanding officer (Lake) and had a long military career known for humanity during war. His life is certainly worthy of a movie. I know you said Cornwell's book "The Fort" is fiction and I agree that the real story is more interesting, but Cornwell did use some historical events (and modified others) to tell the story - the material was just too good. Of course, the conversations are all fiction and mostly unnecessary. Did you know that he describes a (probably fictional) firing/reloading demonstration by Moore in which he challenges his soldiers to exceed his rate of fire by throwing down a guinea as a prize if anyone could exceed his rate? I smiled when I read it, imagining your guinea as the one dropped by Moore...

As a youngster on a school trip over 50 years ago, I remember visiting Paul Revere's home on the "Freedom Trail" in Boston. Little did we know that his reputation as a Patriot derived from Longfellow's need to find a name that merely rhymed for his poem "the midnight ride of Paul Revere" or that the poem itself was a CW recruiting tool.

I don't have Cayford's book yet, but i have some leads. Apparently there were only 2000 copies privately printed. For those who, like me, can't get enough of this I recommend Flood's book "Rise, and Fight Again".

Thank you again, Rick

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting and historic finds you posted , I enjoy reading about your adventure and can feel how passionate you are about preserving the history and memory of that battle. You are surely doing a great job of it

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey thank u all for your kind works. It has indeed ben my pleasure to bring this history to you . To answer a question by Relicific why the gold guinea was not selected as a 'Banner" we may never know. I do know Jeff of Pa was one of many that nominated it but also wrote a gold escuto should have made it as well but did not. As i understand it Jeff if Pa and Riverrat run the show here and I am still not quite understanding how this Banner thing works . Anyway I really don't give a rats patunya if anything I post makes Banner as I just want to write about it and it be seen by you folks to enjoy. Thanks Gary

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THe Buckle & The Boulder

There have been a few PMs I got wanting to know more about the story of Cpt Hinkley's buckle? I think in another post someone actually put in a search mode for it. I do not knw anything about that but wil post the article here I wrote for Western Eastern Treasures Mag in Apr 2017 issue plus giving them the credit for publishing it. You will have t click on each page a few times to read it. Gary

Attachments

• scan_20140101000340.jpg
    scan_20140101000340.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 75
  • scan_20140101000512.jpg
    scan_20140101000512.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 36
  • scan_20140101000643.jpg
    scan_20140101000643.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner from me good job you do appreciate history I do as well though my boring town was founded in 1826 so not alot of history or battles ect Great post Thanks for sharing it. Tommy

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Anyway I really don't give a rats patunya if anything I post makes Banner as I just want to write about it
and it be seen by you folks to enjoy. Thanks Gary"

Great form Gary, Great Freaking Form!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Anyway I really don't give a rats patunya if anything I post makes Banner as I just want to write about it
and it be seen by you folks to enjoy. Thanks Gary"

Great form Gary, Great Freaking Form!

Phil- Hope that was a positive remark. I don't want folks to get me wrong and me complaining about the Banner" thing. I think the Banner is a wonderful thing and lets the item get more visability . However there have been as of late a lot of wonderful things coming out of the ground to vote on. That being written that SUPER RARE Rev War KRR button found not long ago was a NO BRAINER and I did put in my vote for it as I will for other great finds. Things get lost. I do think when u read Jeff of Pa's "How a Banner works it's a bit sketchy how this vote thing works. WE should be active in making comments about others finds but not a factor in what we post wether selected or not. I write that since yes it is nice to be recognized as the finder but think the item found with a good story should stand on it's own. Not what we do or don't do on Tnet. I don't spend a lot of time surfing Tnet but do enjoy the discussion of things found that interest me . I think we all do and Tnet is a great venue for that. Like I wrote in this post I have balls and an opinion as well. If read by folks that don't agree that is fine as well . Again I got quite a few comments as to why this gold coin never made it and not my question to answer. Happy hunting my friends. Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread