REVOLUTIONARY WAR BUCKLE? and the biggest petal bell.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hunting with PA SLUETH THIS afternoon. Was at a place that had alot of history.
Only 2 good targets for me the one is this buckle. What I believe is a rev war sling buckle.
And the other is this huge petal bell.
What till you see what the SLUETH found!!!!! Unbelievable.
Thanks for looking.
George

Attachments

• 1443221462098.jpg
    1443221462098.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 1443221472786.jpg
    1443221472786.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 1443221484238.jpg
    1443221484238.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 1443221494548.jpg
    1443221494548.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 15
OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal type, construction & tooling look 18th C to me, but not sure how you would connect it to the Military other than its unusually large. So I would be 80% happy to say Rev War Buckle. Nice find either way.

Thanks Cru,
I had a question mark after rev war..lol You never no. But it was found at a farm estate, that had a in campment at.. But who know, with this type of buckle. It will look good in my collection any way..but I certainly will take the 80% from you..haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking late 18th century buckle George, certainly could be Rev War given Bill's reference material.

Thanks Jon,
You never know..

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps no quantity, but you two certainly found quality items. Congrats on another very nice early find.

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps no quantity, but you two certainly found quality items. Congrats on another very nice early find.

Thanks Jay.
Now post your finds!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find George. That buckle definitely looks military and could date anywhere from the French & Indian War to the War of 1812 in my opinion. But with all the Rev War activity in your area, it is most likely from that period.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking late 18th century buckle George, certainly could be Rev War given Bill's reference material.

When an item is not marked, and the site doesn't provide enough context to suggest it's a Rev War relic (and the vast majority do not) ... you have to qualify the term "Rev War" with either "period" or "era" following it. People use Rev War pretty loosely and I don't think it's a big deal, but there's always confusion because there's a big difference between what's accepted as an actual Rev War relic vs what is a period item from that time frame. It's very similar to every miniball or enfield bullet being called a Civil War bullet... and yes, thousands upon thousands are/were, but it's not like people didn't use a rifle before and after the war for various other reasons leaving bullets everywhere. I also think it's just the nature of this hobby to want to always believe a find is better or a little more significant than what it is, but that's probbaly not a bad thing because it means you have passion!

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When an item is not marked, and the site doesn't provide enough context to suggest it's a Rev War relic (and the vast majority do not) ... you have to qualify the term "Rev War" with either "period" or "era" following it. People use Rev War pretty loosely and I don't think it's a big deal, but there's always confusion because there's a big difference between what's accepted as an actual Rev War relic vs what is a period item from that time frame. It's very similar to every miniball or enfield bullet being called a Civil War bullet... and yes, thousands upon thousands are/were, but it's not like people didn't use a rifle before and after the way for various other reasons leaving bullets everywhere. I also think it's just the nature of this hobby to want to always believe a find is better or a little more significant than what it is, but that's probbaly not a bad thing because it means you have passion!

seeing as how he put a question mark at the end of his post title, that says to me hes asking a question, seeking clarification as to if it is a rev war buckle, the others gave feeback/information and they all said it seemed like it could be, or maybe it is, perhaps, etc. I don't think anyone was saying without a doubt that this was for sure a rev war find, however bill's book info provided pretty good evidence it just may be.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeing as how he put a question mark at the end of his post title, that says to me hes asking a question, seeking clarification as to if it is a rev war buckle, the others gave feeback/information and they all said it seemed like it could be, or maybe it is, perhaps, etc. I don't think anyone was saying without a doubt that this was for sure a rev war find, however bill's book info provided pretty good evidence it just may be.

And I thought my post was giving some clarification.

If you had that book, which I do, you would see it does have marked items which are clearly Rev War, but is also filled with every day things. So if it is the standard how we decide what is a Rev War relic, then every 18th century pot, scissors, thimbles etc. etc. etc. that is dug is a Rev War relic. Again, people use the term loosely and it creates confusion when you are talking about items that you know without question were used in the war, which are generally the marked ones, and items that just date around the period... and of course there is some cross-over because it's not like the military were issued marked regimental spoons... although that would make for a pretty cool find! :)

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When an item is not marked, and the site doesn't provide enough context to suggest it's a Rev War relic (and the vast majority do not) ... you have to qualify the term "Rev War" with either "period" or "era" following it. People use Rev War pretty loosely and I don't think it's a big deal, but there's always confusion because there's a big difference between what's accepted as an actual Rev War relic vs what is a period item from that time frame. It's very similar to every miniball or enfield bullet being called a Civil War bullet... and yes, thousands upon thousands are/were, but it's not like people didn't use a rifle before and after the war for various other reasons leaving bullets everywhere. I also think it's just the nature of this hobby to want to always believe a find is better or a little more significant than what it is, but that's probbaly not a bad thing because it means you have passion!

Thanks IP, for the Clarification.
I did some more looking on the buckle. How I missed this I have no Idea? Lol

Attachments

• 1443357538474.jpg
    1443357538474.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 51

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems legit lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Having GW would most likely make it post war. Better luck next time. :happysmiley:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice buckle George. I have admired those types in one of Bill Ds displays for years. Still hoping to walk over one some day. Great find.

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg I may have posted twice but here is a buckle I found a week ago looks similar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread