Ripping redwood

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ripping 2” slabs from a redwood fell from yard. Taking them to my sons for tables, bar top??? I need to figure out a simple way to lift the logs onto a moveable stand to cut at a more comfortable level. On my knees is too hard on an old guy.

B90D45D5-CE4B-4760-AD96-56BF118068BA.jpeg

2EECEC91-EF07-4D51-ADB6-35AB08A1ECC1.jpeg

FD658398-6EBF-41EE-897D-D71C0ABCFFFD.jpeg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about with a winch or a come along move/drag one end of it on the bed of a pick- up truck.....Then backup a second pick- up to the first one,and you'll have a worktable. ?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those trees are so beautiful.
Best of luck with your projects.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ripping 2” slabs from a redwood fell from yard. Taking them to my sons for tables, bar top??? I need to figure out a simple way to lift the logs onto a moveable stand to cut at a more comfortable level. On my knees is too hard on an old guy.

View attachment 2038644

View attachment 2038645

View attachment 2038646

View attachment 2038644

View attachment 2038645

View attachment 2038646
I use to cut some planks with my mill so I know what you mean. I drove a large spike into each end and used a Handy Man jack to raise it up then rolled shorter and smaller logs under each end. The support logs I notched to keep the main log from rolling and tipping. Two foot lengths of fire wood should work.

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The logs you are ripping look like they maybe 10 -14 inches tall. What if you cut two 3 foot pieces from those logs,
notch them a bit in the middle and use them as a stand to set your longer logs on. This will increase the height
which will be a lot better for your back... Good luck with your project...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty neat setup. I've kinda wanted one of those

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, thanks for the comments and ideas. I’ve been thinking of using some sort of winch setup RTR.

The log in the picture is 20 inches in diameter Cariboo5. It is the second 10 foot log of the tree. I think your idea of notches sections is a good one. Green redwood is very heavy with such high water content.

Yes southfork, those are beautiful areas of the redwood region. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in both those places over the years.

The redwood forests are truly beautiful Bill. The remote old growth forests are like a Jurassic Park setting. Nothing quite like it.

Ive wanted one of these mills for a long time tamrock. My younger son bought this one for me after I retired last October. I really like using it. I live in the greatest tree garden in the world. A lot of different species in our county. Some day I’ll list them all.

Take care all,
Mike

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like hard work to me .But it is a great way to put all that lumber to good use I wish I did not live on the other side of the country I could find a few projects for it myself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread