Holmes said:
Im pretty sure that a bank is not allowed to tell you whom brought them in ! You can ask how long they had them but i believe that most of the time its a big fat lie !
HH
~Holmes~
You're right that they cannot say a person's name, but I have asked the tellers whether a "collector" brings in halves on a regular basis. Sometimes when I ask this they will say "yes", and that the person who brought them in "looks for all the silver ones", or something to that effect. This type of question does not violate any privacy requirements.
Of course, it is not uncommon for the tellers to want to get rid of the rolls and some will lie and say "we got them over time" or something like that. I have had that happen to me and once when I was leaving with the coins I could hear the tellers snickering with each other. When I heard that I stopped around the corner still in the bank and heard the teller say to another teller "did you like how I told him that and got rid of them?". I was not a customer there, or after I searched thru them I would have dumped them back on the bank.
I only ask this type of question when a bank says they have a few hundred or more in rolls on hand. I used to just take anything and look thru it, but with all the CRHers around here, it is just too much of a waste of time to look thru 500 bucks in skunk hand rolls over and over. In a box you never know what you will get, but when the teller says that a customer brought in all 500 bucks worth and they are in Brinks wrappers in an opened Brinks box or even in the generic wrappers, why waste the time I figure.
I don't do road trips hardly at all anymore, so I have learned what banks in my area have a regular CRHer dumping hand rolls all the time so I just avoid those banks.
Another bit of info I have discovered, is that banks that normally produce good hand rolls, will often produce good hand rolls over and over. And conversely, banks that produce skunk hand rolls, will produce the same over and over.
Jim