Rookie Mistake

Howeburger

Mar 30, 2007
MN
In a town quite a ways from home. I had $350 on me to pick up some halves. The teller pulled out a massive bag from the counter machine. It had more silver than I had ever seen in it. She picked out $350 worth and I was on my way. Lesson learned: Always carry double the cash than what you think will get you by.

Hope that never happens again.

I ended up with 16 90% and 46 40% My best haul ever!! It doubled my current collection.

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Thats why you should always keep $100 bill stashed in your shoe- O wait thats for cab fare LOL. Don't spose it would work to try to pay with plastic either huh. HH Mark

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Howeburger said:
Lesson learned: Always carry double the cash than what you think will get you by.

$1000 min., $2K if possible, 3 ATM cards and a bodyguard or pistol.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
That's why I roll with 12-14 hundred. I love the look when the tellers ask "how much do you want"? When I say, oh, no more than $1000 their look is priceless.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
I have had to go out to the ATM and grab cash. luckily the lady was patient since it was technically after hours.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
awhitster said:
That's why I roll with 12-14 hundred. I love the look when the tellers ask "how much do you want"? When I say, oh, no more than $1000 their look is priceless.

Watch out for Patrick Earl!!!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul HB even though you couldn't get it all. I agree with the others above....go back!

Congrats!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:

I've had the following discussion at a couple tellers.

"Do you have any half dollars?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
.. Usually I eventually say whatever amount I have in my wallet at the time which is usually $500 to $3000 since I am usually on a road trip when this happens.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
GMan00001 said:
awhitster said:

I've had the following discussion at a couple tellers.

"Do you have any half dollars?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
"How many do you want?"
"How many do you have?"
.. Usually I eventually say whatever amount I have in my wallet at the time which is usually $500 to $3000 since I am usually on a road trip when this happens.
I can picture that. When you give them that high number they are just in awe. Today the vault teller said I have 30. I thought he meant 30 rolls. I said, $300, no problem. He says no, 3 rolls. Thought I had scored. BTW, they produced nada.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the "How many do you want?" exchange with several tellers. I allus say "All you got."

ALWAYS empty the vault......

I agree with Tex.... a grand minimum, twice to three times as much usually. If I'm doing a road trip (for whatever reason) I'll generally take along about five grand. I empty every vault they'll let me.

I hit banks in some socio/econimically depressed neighborhoods.... it's somewhat disconcerting to watch the other customers eyeball me counting out hunnert dollar bills and and walk out with a sack... so Tim has another good point....

Allus have "A .32 gun in his pocket full of fun" when doing that.

Ain't been ripped yet.... knock of wood.

Three times, just now.....

Robin

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainRobin said:
I empty every vault they'll let me.

I hit banks in some socio/econimically depressed neighborhoods.

What's wrong with this picture? ;D
I have first dibs on buying your silver collection. You are going away for a looong time, you won't need them. Bubba don't take silver. :P

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Well Howe???

Have you gone back yet?

If not, please let me know where the balance of the bag is....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
CaptainRobin said:
I empty every vault they'll let me.

I hit banks in some socio/econimically depressed neighborhoods.

What's wrong with this picture? ;D
I have first dibs on buying your silver collection. You are going away for a looong time, you won't need them. Bubba don't take silver. :P

CWP are pretty easy to get here in GA. Unless they post a sign restricting carrying into the business it's not against the law to enter the bank packing. Bars and courthouses, on the other hand ...

HH

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheldius said:
CWP are pretty easy to get here in GA. Unless they post a sign restricting carrying into the business it's not against the law to enter the bank packing.
Oh, I forgot to ask where you were.
Out here in screamin liberal land (CA) I think the only people allowed to get gun are criminals. >:(

When I left the department I tried to get a CWP but I would have to prove my life was on the line or my line of business required me to. I felt naked for years without my weapon on me at all times. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread