What's new

Round River Scraper?

MOGARDE

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
61
Reaction score
112
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this round river scraper on a gravel bar today. It looks a little beat up from it's journey down the river. Would anyone have any idea on the material used and possibly an age range? Thanks so much!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3089.webp
    IMG_3089.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3088.webp
    IMG_3088.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3086.webp
    IMG_3086.webp
    679.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3085.webp
    IMG_3085.webp
    745.3 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
It could have been used as a scraper but it appears to be an expended core.

It's good looking material that was exposed to enough heat to produce a number of potlids on the surface. The thermal alteration most likely caused a color change as well.
 
Nice find , hard to tell if found near me I would think jasper for material but also looks like it could be red flint. Are either of those materials prevalent where you found it?
 
very neat artifact.
 
Well, I'm a beginner so i'm really not sure. I have one other piece that someone suggested was Jasper but this one is a much deeper red. Heat treated maybe? Thanks for your comment!
 
It doesn't look like Jasper to me and it is a blank that was heat treated like the others have said. It could have been a tan color or any color. Depending on the stone some will change from a white color to a screaming red when heated just right. Heat does some wild thing to flint, some wont change in color when others will turn into a complete different stone almost. Cool find:occasion14:
 
Thank you for the information. I'm learning a lot!
 
Definitely a keeper

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
So do I! I was really excited when I spotted it! Thank you!
 
What does the other side look like? Still something worked so its a nice keeper
 
IMG_3084.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3084.webp
    IMG_3084.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Almost every artifact will have a nice side and a not so nice side but thats normal looks to be a nice high grade flint and probably heat treated. Rite where the cortex is is where it was probably knocked off the main rock then worked to what you see now. Its a good looking tool.
 
Got it! The other side isn't much to look at like you said. I do love the material. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate it!!
 
MOGARDE - I'm in Missouri as well, nice find. I would assume that's a high grade heat treated Burlington Chert. Even that deep of red isn't entirely uncommon, though lighter shades of red are more 'normal'. Very cool find, hope you find a bunch more!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom