What's new

RR Nails - not sure of use?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
7,211
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Out hunting a RR area today
Old line not in use

5V (Small).webp

Found
ex1 (Small).webp

in the ties next to a rail dated 1950
ex2 (Small).webp

I have a collection of old date nails which give the dates
that the ties were put down. These are different.

found 3 of these
ex3 (Small).webp


Anyone know what the letters stand for
or what type of code it could be. All are the same.

Thanks.

all have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE
 

Attachments

  • 5V (Small).webp
    5V (Small).webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 416
Looks like a Masonry nail.

Tony
 

Attachments

  • H55S.gif
    H55S.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 0
Angelo said:
Looks like a Masonry nail.

Tony
I dont recognize the brand but I think your right. Were they in the wood or just laying around?
AGM, GMA, or MAG. :icon_study:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Angelo said:
Looks like a Masonry nail.

Tony
I dont recognize the brand but I think your right. Were they in the wood or just laying around?

In the center of the ties, pounded in,
pried out; seperated by about 15-20 ties from
each other.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres a good link on nails but I dont see it. http://www.nailhunter.com/

Sherm,
Go to the web site that Bigcypresshunter gave the link to, and e-mail Jeff Oaks. He knows his stuff.
I had a nail like that the other day, e-mailed him a picture, and he ID'd it for me within an hour.
Mine was a Gulf Coast Creosote coating company telephone pole nail with a "G36" on it.
Good luck,
MM
 
Upvote 0
ModernMiner said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres a good link on nails but I dont see it. http://www.nailhunter.com/

Sherm,
Go to the web site that Bigcypresshunter gave the link to, and e-mail Jeff Oaks. He knows his stuff.
I had a nail like that the other day, e-mailed him a picture, and he ID'd it for me within an hour.
Mine was a Gulf Coast Creosote coating company telephone pole nail with a "G36" on it.
Good luck,
MM



Thanks :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • MAGNAILS.webp
    MAGNAILS.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,240
Upvote 0
Glad to help Sherm.

I think Michelle had it.

Go back to your original post

Click on Modify

Click on Message icon down arrow

Click on Solved. solved check.gif
 

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 528
Upvote 0
ModernMiner,
just letting you know.

Sent out the e mail yesterday, had an answer this morning.

dated 2/11/2009 7:16:27 AM Central Standard Time, oaks@uindy.edu writes:
This is a surveyor's nail, not a RR nail. Surveyors drive them into anything wooden near their work to mark points. The MAG on the head indicates that the nail is magnetized in some way (a retired surveyor told me this a few years ago). The most common surveyor's nails have a PK stamped in the head for the manufacturer, Parker-Kalon. The MAG nails are pretty new, maybe introduced in the 1990's. You can still buy them new.


He is fast.

ModernMiner, again, thanks for you help. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom