Ruby Real or Fake?

CAllen

Greenie
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can I tell if this is a real ruby?
It was purchased in 1969.
DSCF6472.JPG DSCF6474.JPG DSCF6478.JPG DSCF6477.JPG DSCF6472.JPG DSCF6474.JPG DSCF6478.JPG DSCF6477.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two things to try. Ruby is corundum, and the 2nd hardest natural substance. (MOHS hardness 9.0) Try and scratch a piece of quartz with it. Quartz has a hardness of 7.0-7.5, so real ruby will scratch it. Also, ruby is very heavy...specific gravity is 3.9-4.1. If you're willing to remove the stone from it's setting, you can do a specific gravity test. Very few gems are heavier than ruby.
Jim

Upvote 0

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info. I have a red stone that was with some old coins and I have always wondered how to tell.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have a gemmologist check that one out. Could be a synthetic ruby, to.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good catch...I hadn't even considered a synthetic. I wonder how the SG compares in a synthetic? I also notice that spessartine garnets are close to corundum for specific gravity, though they have an orangish cast to the red color.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems to clean, that it threw me off, hence the suggestion of synthetic.

Synthetic ruby is still.. ruby, so SG is not diagnostic of a synthetic. :)
One needs a good microscope and experience to tell a synthetic from the natural counter part, even then one can make mistakes. (did you know the flux grown can look amazingly natural?)

Spessartites are also singly refractive, due to their cubic crystal structure.
A quick test under a polariscope should help eliminate that.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
my main concern is that what appears to be one thing, may in fact not be what you think.. if you follow.. I have had others ask this same question only to learn that what they thought was a buby was nothing more then a heat treated crystal or even a topaz..

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Eu, if the SG is the same between a real ruby and a synthetic one, is the refraction index the same as well?
Almost everything I have read relates to how to ID a raw ruby, not one that has already been faceted. From what I understand measuring the refractive index involves measuring the speed of light as it passes through the stone. I wouldn't have a clue how that is done.
What other test would a gemologist do to ID this.

Upvote 0

luxefaire

Dec 21, 2005
Jolly Corner FL
Detector(s) used
Any
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most times natural rubies will have inclusions within that the synthetics do not....i many times judge the possibility of real or synthetic by the mounting, its a good hint anyway. i dont like the 10k (Or is it 18k?), which is light quality for a ruby of that size and appearance, and the light color vs a darker....but i do like the style, it seems to be vintage perhaps. there are many good sources of gemological information on line, whole courses for free given by many authorities..it is an attractive stone one way or the other..b

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eu, if the SG is the same between a real ruby and a synthetic one, is the refraction index the same as well?
Almost everything I have read relates to how to ID a raw ruby, not one that has already been faceted. From what I understand measuring the refractive index involves measuring the speed of light as it passes through the stone. I wouldn't have a clue how that is done.
What other test would a gemologist do to ID this.

Yes, Refractive index would be the same. Synthetic ruby is EXACTLY the same thing as natural ruby, but lab grown.
It is measured on a refractometer.

Since it's set in a ring the tests one can do is limited. It's easier to ID a non mounted stone.
What tests they do depends on what they think it is, or if they are to do it "correctly".
If they are to do it correctly, then all possible tests are to be done. (i.e those which the setting does not disturb)

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
After viewing the images again.. I feel its Synthetic or even plastic/glass in other words fake.. I guess I say this because my class ring (which was very simular to the above ring) didn't have a real sapphire in it..

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd guess it isn't glass nor plastic. Why? The facet edges don't look to rounded, which is often the case with glass and plastics. :)

Upvote 0

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Not ruby but maybe a red Garnet? I have an antique ring with a huge red stone that when I bought it the jeweler told me it was a garnet and not ruby and it is the same color as yours....

Upvote 0

londog72

Jan 18, 2013
Yes, Refractive index would be the same. Synthetic ruby is EXACTLY the same thing as natural ruby, but lab grown.
It is measured on a refractometer.

Since it's set in a ring the tests one can do is limited. It's easier to ID a non mounted stone.
What tests they do depends on what they think it is, or if they are to do it "correctly".
If they are to do it correctly, then all possible tests are to be done. (i.e those which the setting does not disturb)

How u been? Maybe I misunderstood but when u said the grown are excatly the same as genuin did u mean regarding refraction or totaly? Because they are definately not totaly the same. Using a electron microscope the man made will have a uniform patern as genuin will never be "even" or have a patern. Would be like breaking car window glass with the pieces being all squar (man made) vs house glass that will break into many diff shapes and sizes. But I'm sure u ment the refractive qualities which I'm sure would be same. Correct me if I'm wrong because I've done some research but still learning. Thx for the refract info which I was unsure of..

Sent from my LGL75C using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LD,

All the functions that a gemmologist is generally concerned with will be the same.
Specific gravity, optical phenomena, refractive index etc etc.
It will have to be put under a microscope to look at the inclusions. (if there are any)

It will also have the same chemical make up as well as colourant as natural ruby.
In my book it's the same, ruby as ruby, right? :)

I haven't had the joy of playing with a EM so I can't say how it reacts.

Upvote 0

londog72

Jan 18, 2013
LD,

All the functions that a gemmologist is generally concerned with will be the same.
Specific gravity, optical phenomena, refractive index etc etc.
It will have to be put under a microscope to look at the inclusions. (if there are any)

It will also have the same chemical make up as well as colourant as natural ruby.
In my book it's the same, ruby as ruby, right? :)

I haven't had the joy of playing with a EM so I can't say how it reacts.

I have done research and saw pics of EM for both real and genuine and real has a pattern and can be manipulated where the atoms can be made closer for mor hardness. I read that they can take glass and make it harder than dimond. And cubics are normaly hard

Upvote 0

londog72

Jan 18, 2013
Oops got cut off lol.. anyway I also read that cubics are normaly harder due to there even makeup.. did u say u had a book out? If so then wow I had no idea. That's great. If u do and would tell me the name I would love to read it. Thanks again for all the info you have provided for me. Oh ya I forgot to tell ya the red ruby looking jem has a small area that fades to a yellowish color... if u know what that could mean it might help to identify. Haven't done SG test yet but will. Then if matches ruby then its probably that but if shows same as diamond then I'm off to a university to do em test for final proof. I'm not completley familiar with this site so if I have trouble finding u could u find me because I want to let you the so if u write another book u could add my story. Just the finding it to all the test and research have been an exciting adventure. I hope to hear from ya soon. Thx lonnie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread