What's new

Sandstone abrading piece?

Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
338
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
I took better pics of a piece I showed before. I noticed some lines in each end and confirmed it was sandstone. The area was never plowed so it not plow marks. Could these be abrading marks. I hope the lighting is ok. It looks so symmetrical as well on the end. What do you think?
Again thanks for your help :)
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    193.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    652.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    528.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    232.7 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
Natural I think maybe lightly ticked by a plow. Here is one that my lovely friend is holding for me to take a pic.Sometimes they are just a single line as well. Used to sharpen awls and some some shafts/arrows. Multi purpose tool.

100_1425.webp
 
100_4796.webp100_4800.webpHere is one that i have inside and it has seen heavy use, the second photo of your'se looks like it has seen some use as an abrader. This one is a soft abrader stone there is some that are made of harder stone.
 
Thanks
Here are a few better pics that really show the lines and grooves....does this help at all?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    164.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    260.9 KB · Views: 84
Looks like random implement strikes to me even though you said it's never been plowed.
Y
 
Random strikes or scrapes. If it had been used enough to create all of those marks, they would be more orderly and probably on flat surfaces vs curved surfaces.

Just a fine rock.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom