What's new

Scraper,preform,core or nothing.

johnger1

Jr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Messages
94
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool rock, but not sure what is.
DSC09550.webpDSC09551.webpDSC09552.webp
 
Upvote 0
Its nice material.
Its not a tool of any kind.. it's what would be considered debitage or even a core.
A byproduct of reducing larger quarried material.
 
It seems that I'm finding alot of material to suggest tool production but not much in the way of actual tools. I that typical or am I doing something.
 
That's typically what you find in areas like Middens/trash piles or quarry sites.
I don't know the layout of your area but.. I would give a good look where you are..then if that doesn't pan out Mabey see about checking close to the nearest waterway to where your finding the material.
Just a thought.
 
What's my best bet for water sources. The primary water source would be the los angeles river, which is now an aquaduct through most of la. It terminates in san pedro bay,also know as the port of los angeles. Any delta has long been dredged to improve the harbor. That's probably not going to work. There's a spring nearby in palos verdes, I need to find that again. There is a seasonal spring that runs through the canyon out back, thats were I found some pottery. How about the streams that form after a rainstorm. I tried one yesterday, found a sharks tooth. That's the surface water around here, where would you start first?
 
You would be looking for water ways or remnants of waterways that have been in basically the same spot for hundreds or thousands of years.
The spring where you found pottery sounds by far your best bet
You already found pottery..that means long periods of time were spent there..probably many times for generations.
It's positive I.D. of a real site.. as opposed to roaming around elsewhere you should focus there..and figure the place out.
The artifacts are there you just have to find them.
Look high and low in that area..definitely check any washouts or areas where erosion occurs or gravel gathers along the spring run.
A spring would have been very important and entire communities were built around them.
Forget the concrete drainage system that is what's left of the L.A. river.
Get out in the hills and places where nature still determines the landscape.
In the winter of 1824-25 the L.A. river changed course because of a major flood.
If I were you I'd also look online for info on where the natural path was.. you can probably trace it by satilite view by looking at the low land.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the the input, I'll try the creek today.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom