monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO I don't see an effigy. What do you think it is the shape of ? Looks to be water worn stone.???

OP
OP
J

Jessmc

Jul 30, 2017
SD and GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, somewhat difficult to see via pictures. Bison.
It was found among many other artifacts but it was actually atop a hill that's above the crick. I found the actual piece over 150ft above the actual crick. Too far to be a river stone but it has normal dirt wear. Here are some more pics that show the pecking detail and other angle views.

View attachment 1479585
View attachment 1479583
View attachment 1479581

(Excuse my dirty nails. Gardening)

OP
OP
J

Jessmc

Jul 30, 2017
SD and GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologize, having phone issues uploading pics and comments.
IMG_7752.JPG

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm-I see natural rock w/some damage. True effigies would be more prominent.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Keep it, you see what they saw. Stone color and striping adds to it. Can`t see well from photos but lines from front to back could suggest lightning bolt to circle, maybe heart which many effigies have. IMHO

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice color on it whatever it is

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It resembles the side profile of a buffalo to me but i doubt it is a true effigy.

Yes, definitely a "cloud" stone effigy.
What is a cloud stone effigy?
DEFINITION: a cloud stone effigy is a natural rock that when viewed from a particular perspective looks like, or resembles something thing that one's imagination can fix upon. Like a cloud that looks like George Washington for a moment but obviously is not when the cloud moves a little farther and the new perspective proves that it was just a natural illusion. By analogy so is your rock, hope that helps.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like a piece of water worn petrified wood. Funny it was so high above the river.

The James river is known to have sites all up and down it.

Also it is the slowest running river in North America from what I was taught in high school in a town the river runs through.

What county are you in neighbor?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yes, definitely a "cloud" stone effigy.
What is a cloud stone effigy?
DEFINITION: a cloud stone effigy is a natural rock that when viewed from a particular perspective looks like, or resembles something thing that one's imagination can fix upon. Like a cloud that looks like George Washington for a moment but obviously is not when the cloud moves a little farther and the new perspective proves that it was just a natural illusion. By analogy so is your rock, hope that helps.

Or you could be honest and call it pareidolia.

Pareidolia (/pærᵻˈdoʊliə/ pair-i-DOH-lee-ə) is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus, usually an image or a sound, by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists (e.g., in random data).
Common examples are perceived images of animals, faces, or objects in cloud formations, the Man in the Moon, the Moon rabbit, hidden messages within recorded music played in reverse or at higher- or lower-than-normal speeds, and hearing indistinct voices in random noise such as that produced by air conditioners or fans.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could be honest and call it pareidolia.

Pareidolia (/pærᵻˈdoʊliə/ pair-i-DOH-lee-ə) is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus, usually an image or a sound, by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists (e.g., in random data).
Common examples are perceived images of animals, faces, or objects in cloud formations, the Man in the Moon, the Moon rabbit, hidden messages within recorded music played in reverse or at higher- or lower-than-normal speeds, and hearing indistinct voices in random noise such as that produced by air conditioners or fans.

Or we could just call it "backwoodsbob"syndrome he's a hoot, is he not!

OP
OP
J

Jessmc

Jul 30, 2017
SD and GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the James also floods a lot but the location I found this was about the flood line. You are correct in it being slow. So slow that many say it runs backwards at times of extreme slow flows.
Charles MiX county. We live about 15 miles or so from Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village, which if you haven't been there, I definitely recommend it. But because it's so close, I have been talking with those head archiologist about donating this and some other pieces I have. He hasn't verified this as official but says it's promising.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread