Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sea Of Galilee's Underwater Stone 'Monument' Puzzles Archaeologists In Israel

Sea Of Galilee's Underwater Stone 'Monument' Puzzles Archaeologists In Israel

By: Owen Jarus, LiveScience Contributor
Published: 04/10/2013 07:17 AM EDT on LiveScience

A giant "monumental" stone structure discovered beneath the waters of the Sea of Galilee in Israel has archaeologists puzzled as to its purpose and even how long ago it was built.

The mysterious structure is cone shaped, made of "unhewn basalt cobbles and boulders," and weighs an estimated 60,000 tons the researchers said. That makes it heavier than most modern-day warships.

Rising nearly 32 feet (10 meters) high, it has a diameter of about 230 feet (70 meters). To put that in perspective, the outer stone circle of Stonehenge has a diameter just half that with its tallest stones not reaching that height.

It appears to be a giant cairn, rocks piled on top of each other. Structures like this are known from elsewhere in the world and are sometimes used to mark burials. Researchers do not know if the newly discovered structure was used for this purpose.

The structure was first detected in the summer of 2003 during a sonar survey of the southwest portion of the sea. Divers have since been down to investigate, they write in the latest issue of the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology.

"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," the researchers write in their journal article. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's interesting! Wonder how that got there, how long it took to make!

Although, I have my own hypothesis on how they made it. Five bucks some kid got bored, started a rock collection, then started stacking them, so all the other kids and even some adults pitched in, eventually getting the whole city in on it and made the worlds largest rock collection (at the time);)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Five bucks some kid got bored, started a rock collection, then started stacking them, so all the other kids and even some adults pitched in, eventually getting the whole city in on it and made the worlds largest rock collection (at the time);)

There was a time when this would have fit my logic, but I know differently. :tongue3:

Although the rocks were used around the time they think that pile was built, they were put there centuries later. You see this pile came about during the iron age, when they started replacing all those old stone cities with metal, and this is the first illegal dumping ground :icon_thumright:

It's amazing at all the new discoveries still being made and the many more to come

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whole idea of this thing being "Puzzling" is amusing to me for some reason.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I vote tailing pile, bet someone claims its the ballast pile from noah's ark:anchor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread