Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that would depend on how tall the crawlspace is ... if you have to literally "crawl" it might be a frustrating endeavour. If it were me, and swinging a coil was nearly impossible, I would at the very least go under there with my Pro-pointer and sweep that around. There has to be at least a coin or two down there without a doubt. Good luck !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

So I live in a school house dates 1850s and in michigan can't do much outside due to frozen ground but there is a crawl space with dirt floors and there is an addition on the house which was added over an old milk room that was apart of the original school so is it worth climbing under there to search

If I lived in a house that dated to the 1850s, and had been a school at one time, I'd for sure check the crawl spaces beneath my house :)

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I would think stuff fell thru floorboards and what not plus whatever is under there has been undisturbed by nature so that's a plus shouldn't have to go deep

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm hoping I can't get under there but I'm 6'4 280 crawl spaces aren't my friend lol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe wear a dust mask?
I know a skinny guy in Michigan a little s.w. of central that will fit! Sounds like a fun site. besides students, the builders may have misplaced something.
H.H.

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm hoping when they remodeled home they didn't end up walking around the dirt or get curious themselves because if they didn't stuff should be fairly shallow if not just sitting there it was active for 110 years shut down in the 60s

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Should be some good finds there. Would take a while to check it good. Then double check. Allways something.

1Radr4lf

Sep 9, 2012
Owasso, OK
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro and Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's about time for a new floor anyways ehh :headbang:

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way ahead of you I'm thinking my was that an ant or termite might need to replace wood under floor just to be sure excuse might work lol

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck hunting under the house, wearing a dust mask like relevantchair said. Don't want to get the Hanta Virus (comes from dried mouse turds) or any other respiratory complications! I'd still do it though! My brother is renting an old converted one room school house from the mid-late 1800's and I'm DYING to detect there! The original out house is still there too.....it was filled in/capped but the cover can be removed.

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah this has the out house but it's cinder block so it was updated I guess you can say also have two small concrete foundations but who knows what they could of been

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a crawl in an 1875 home. Used a Vaquero with a small coil and removed the middle rod from the detector shaft to shorten it. I crawled on my stomach with a flashlight in one hand, detector in the other.
Can't remember if I used a mask but had my face covered in spider webs. Very dusty and difficult to maneuver and dig. It was suffocating and hot (even though it was cool in the crawl).
Came out covered in filth. Total sum of my finds...2 1930's wheat pennies, cut nails and assorted junk.
Would I do it again? You bet.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
DO IT, MAN DO IT! LOL

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm more worried bout getting out then getting in lol

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use no rods. put the control box in your coat pocket and work the coil with your hand

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you checked the yard before? If not I'm sure your anxious to.

I can't wait for the ground to thaw, been checking out some sights that I want to hit in the spring.

OP
OP
Murray656

Murray656

Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah once a few weeks ago when we had them two 50 degree days found 7 cents a door know and a pre 30s 44 cartridge I actually went out there with a jug of hot water and and axe to dig turned out to be a piece of tin but it was to much work

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread