Season 10 - Starts on November 15th, 2022

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol.. yep seems many people these days do not want to let the total lack of evidence get in the way of something they want to believe. It seems that some\many think that all opinions are of equal validity even when there is zero evidence to support their view. This is often backed up with ' If you cannot prove I am wrong than my opinion is of equal likeyhood to be true'.

No wonder the world is in such a mess.
Negativity is INSTANT death to treasure hunting....and there's a lot of that here........

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha.... what does this tv show have to do with treasure hunting.

But that had little to do with my last post which was just a general comment agreeing with an earlier poster.

The curse of Oak Island is not a treasure hunting show. It is a scripted tv drama using OI as a location. Natainal Treasure: edge of history has as much chance of finding treasure as this show.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify... I am seeking no argument with fans of the show. People are free to believe what they wish. The point being no evidence of something and no reason even to believe a legend/story to be true does not make the legend/story true.

The Laginas after spending millions on drilling what must be hundred of holes have found nothing.

So my friend as I said belive what you choose but i will address the evidence not the fantasy.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the garden shaft, the anticipation of a breakthrough discovery has never been higher. However they discover some damage in the structure of the original shaft and have to proceed with some special steps to ensure the integrity of the new shaft structure. It was interesting to see how they addressed safety.
Last week's token find was determined to be a barter piece from the 5th century, almost identical to one found on a Roman site in the UK. Sandy is 100% sure of his assessment.
They begin investigating the circular feature of stones near the token find to determine if it could have been created closer to the 5th century.
They returned to the swamp to try to confirm a relationship between the newly discovered ramp and the previous stone path. They discovered a small 'lucky horseshoe'. Carmen dates it to the 1400s.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the garden shaft, the anticipation of a breakthrough discovery has never been higher.
Finally after 187 episodes we will get to see the treasure...

waiting.png

That will show all those sceptics out there...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if I will be able to get the Lagina's to invest in my treasure search. I have the map but just need to work out where it is located.

With all their experience finding treasure it should not be difficult for them.

Has anyone got Rick's contact detail so I can pitch him my treasure search...

treasure-hunt-map.jpg

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if I will be able to get the Lagina's to invest in my treasure search. I have the map but just need to work out where it is located.

With all their experience finding treasure it should not be difficult for them.

Has anyone got Rick's contact detail so I can pitch him my treasure search...

View attachment 2079578
  • RICHARD LAGINA
    121 EAST FRONT ST.
    TRAVERSE CITY MI 49684-2570

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall that some years back there was a suggestion that a tunnel had been found leading out of the swamp.

I was actually encouraged by this for the first time in ages, as I’d postulated that maybe there’s a Geometrical Swamp which perhaps has a tunnel from its centre leading towards the slightly higher ground northeast of the Money Pit. I also suspected that this might be what’s referenced by the La Formule (McGinnis) Cipher.

I’ve been trying to find coverage of this potential find, but without success. Can anyone confirm that a tunnel was found, and maybe which series or episode it featured in? I’d just like to mention or report on it in my book, if this was actually the case.

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I’d postulated that maybe there’s a Geometrical Swamp which perhaps has a tunnel from its centre leading towards the slightly higher ground northeast of the Money Pit. I also suspected that this might be what’s referenced by the La Formule (McGinnis) Cipher.
The response above was predictable. I fully expected somebody to laugh this out of court without having bothered to investigate or to question why - simply because this does seem to be the way of the forum.

The McGinnis cipher was published in 2016 and makes reference to a tunnel of 1065 feet with an intermediate distance of 522 feet + 40 feet = 562 feet. However, my book on the Oak Island mystery was published in 2013 and, among possibilities, postulates a tunnel of 1065 feet also having an intermediate distance of 562 feet. These are exactly the same lengths, but my book was published three years earlier than the cipher.

It did strike me that somebody may have read my book and created the cipher as a hoax. Of course, it could have been me who created the cipher, but it wasn’t. The matching lengths could, of course, be coincidence, but, as I don’t know either way, I felt that the matter might bear some thought.

I appreciate that it’s easier to decide that you know the answer without investigation and to scoff rather than ask questions, but that’s not my way.

I don’t place much faith in Zena Halpern’s maps because they don’t say anything that might help solve the mystery. Likewise, the cipher stone allegedly found in the Money Pit. In the same way, I didn’t expect the McGinnis cipher to provide any useful information either, so I didn’t look at it until very recently.

I’ve always been concerned that while it seems there could be distinct pointers to the spot I suggest might be the place of deposit there are no documentary indicators or ground markers that might support my being on the right track. Furthermore, I had three main options, and I didn’t know which one to favour. These were 1064 feet and 521 feet, 1065 feet and 522 feet, and 1073 feet (for 1081) and 578 feet.

While I accept that the cipher looks suspicious, I have to wonder how it comes to reflect one of my options particularly when I introduced a subterfuge into my book to avoid giving too much away. However, anyone who bothers to look for them can see that these lengths are present in my work three years before the cipher was published.

All I wish to do is to report that this happened, but it seems that others just want to laugh without having bothered to ask why I raised a topic that I know full well is treated with amusement if not contempt and is casually dismissed by many without a moment’s thought.

Is this really an acceptable response to serious questions, inquiries and research on the forum? You may decide that you know all the answers without doing any investigation, but why laugh at others who are actually looking for those answers?

It's what these documents say that might be significant not the pieces of paper they're written on nor who owned them at any time or who eventually came to be associated with them.

We should be careful that we don't dismiss original documents pertaining to the Oak Island enterprise simply because cranks and eccentrics got hold of them and used them to promote their particular views.

You may include me in this, and make me kook of the week and mock me and my work, but you should really think carefully about what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Last edited:

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to elaborate on the preceding post, and to try to put my work and my thinking in context.

One problem of the search for answers seems to be that people too often decide that they know what is, or isn’t, the answer without considering that they could be wrong. The same goes for evidence. The downside of all this is that the answer may never be found if you’ve chosen, or decided, wrongly.

Surely, the answer, then, is to be objective and to keep an open mind: that is, to be amenable to considering that which is strange and apparently outrageous to others. By all means have preferences, but don’t just shut the door completely on that which you simply don’t like the look of.

Many have commented that it’s strange that there’s no original documentation concerning the Oak Island enterprise without bothering to consider that maybe there is but it’s being rejected because people just don’t like the look of it. What’s more, people don’t want others to think less of them for considering this a possibility.

It’s somewhat like the Emperor’s New Clothes: “only the super-intelligent will appreciate that this documentation cannot possibly be original” - and far too many people seem to fall for it.

Not being super-intelligent like most other people, I suggest that fairly modern copies of seven original documents may exist but have been, and are being, dismissed because people don’t want to be considered naive or stupid for seeing them for what they potentially are.

Simply assuming that these documents could be original suggests that the deposit, had there been one, was not in the Money Pit. However, many have decided that it is in the Money Pit and that they can’t possibly be wrong about this.

The documents also seem to suggest where the deposit is likely to be located. However, people have decided that they know this cannot be so and therefore it would be pointless checking it out and looking.

Maybe what’s holding us up is people deciding that they know just by a casual look what is pertinent to solving the mystery and what is not, and I dread to think how much has been lost because of this. Certainly, the island's archaeology has suffered much in the past as a consequence.

Edit: The 2013 book has now been retired, but for anyone wishing to see how the end point was derived an abridged version has recently been published as an ebook on Amazon with the title The Oak island Concealment: Seeing Beyond the Money Pit.

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week they have reached the bottom of the Garden Shaft. Now they can begin excavating for side tunnels, possibly locating the 'side chamber' filled with treasure.
On lot 5, they continue excavating and researching the stone circle / bowl.
In the swamp, they pursue digging for the metallic object detected earlier.
Professor D. at the American University of Rome confirms that Templar-associated Italian explorers sailed to North America with Henry Sinclair.
Marty gets to explore the bottom of the Garden Shaft where he declares "The treasure hunt begins now"

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty gets to explore the bottom of the Garden Shaft where he declares "The treasure hunt begins now"
It's disappointing that we had to wait 10 years for the treasure hunt to start, but, better late than never, I suppose.

I'm hoping it can only get better now, as I was beginning to feel that maybe it couldn't get any worse. Anyway, it's good that they've finally found a professor who's clearly gotten hold of Henry Sinclair's personal diary and appointment book.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoiler: The Garden Shaft did not contain the riches that people have been looking for since 1875, however it may sit above a tunnel that does. They continue on down to 95 feet and try to unearth whatever is in the new tunnel. They find a small sliver of wood but run into drilling problems as the season winds down due to the approaching winter.
The Roman Token was further tested with laser ablation and found to be of similar composition to the lead cross and of French origin.
Next week is the thrilling season finale.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They better find something after listening to the announcer all this time, wonder how many times he has introduced to same people

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 500 boreholes and 20 caissons, Rick, Marty and Gary explore the bottom of the Garden shaft where Gary gets a non-ferrous hit with the metal detector: the perfect setup for Season 11. Billy- get out your silver transport vehicle...

Season 10 finishes with a pep rally for Season 11

auximenes

Greenie
Apr 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a whole lot of nothing for a season ending episode.

How hard would it have been to pump out the water and fish around in the muck for the detected metal?

Disappointing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread