Season 11

OP
OP
M

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week, another geometric formula leads exactly to the Garden Shaft.

Rick and Marty go down into the Garden shaft to work a pneumatic jackhammer and unearth the original tunnel. Finally encountering wood at the bottom which they can touch and pound with a crowbar. I wonder if the work method allows for the possibility of a high pressure burst of water coming up from the tunnel to Aladdin's cavern?

Followed by a Matty Blake version of Drilling Down - I always enjoy those.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They may get some money from the show, but there is no way they are getting enough to cover that massive machinery. Just a little Bob-Cat is about $1K a day.
Get serious really I can rent a larger skid steer for $2500 a month.

I rented a 5.5 Ton excavator, with a thumb and 2 buckets for a month $5500. (All in delivery/taxes)

Skid steer rental costs range from $200 to $500 per day, $600 to $1,500 per week and $1,200 to $4,000 per month

Sorry your quote of a little Bob-Cat @ $1K a day is as far fetched as the program.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may get some money from the show, but there is no way they are getting enough to cover that massive machinery. Just a little Bob-Cat is about $1K a day.

They are getting paid 100k an episode with 20 episodes this season. That works out to a cool two million for each brother. That fact proves this show is just a scam. No need to find a few million in treasure when you're getting paid two million a year to endlessly search for it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not into treasure hunting tales where they never find anything. At least Bering Sea Gold finds gold every week. I'm sure a lot of guys go broke as well, but at least some are getting rich.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not into treasure hunting tales where they never find anything. At least Bering Sea Gold finds gold every week. I'm sure a lot of guys go broke as well, but at least some are getting rich.
Yep.... The Laginas found their treasure. Just left to wonder how long they can drag their show on for.

It sort of makes me think that none of the "lost land based treasure hoards" actually exist. Just legend and wishful thinking. If they were ever there they were long recovered and spent.

Under the ocean is a whole different story... Many treasures left to be found.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Treasure was found on OI in the initial dig back in 1790's. They found 3 treasure chests and divided them equally between the 3 boys (Daniel McGinnis, John Smith and Anthony Vaughn) who dug the pit.

Therefore, in order to hide this information from the public, a non-disclosure agreement was made with the family. But after much on-line research I found an article that confirmed the treasure was in fact found and, as an Admin, presented it to the OI FB page, of which the story was authenticated. You might remember the episode of the McGinnis ancestor who had in possession a hand hammered gold cross dated back to 15th Century made in Germany? That article was later removed from the internet.

My opinion is that there is no solid evidence to prove that any more treasure really exists. All the families were sworn to secrecy of the 3 treasure chests found. To keep this secret hidden, they kept the dig going like they hadn't found anything. Therefore, in my opinion, any further digs were done to conceal the treasure find as well as prop up the value of the property on OI so they could acquire financing from investors. And this cover-up or "HOAX" continues today for the same reason. I believe the brothers might have gotten duped.

Is this a 234 year old "wild goose chase" for treasure that doesn't exist? Just look at the many excavations done over these years as well as the current holes dug so far by the Lagina's over 10-11 years of which all have not produced one single gold or silver coin.

Also, we hear conflicting stories of an "Offset Chamber" and the "Chappel vault". So, which is it? Is it just another way to dupe the public and investors into believing that no treasure had ever been found on OI when in fact there was and its now gone?

OP
OP
M

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think even the Laginas consider it more of an archeological search rather than a treasure search. As far as what's there, the story changes depending on the features they're exploring. But an original, intact tunnel at 94 feet would be quite something. It's unlikely that a large amount of wood tunnel timbers could have been placed there intact by the big Dunfield dig. That goes back to the big question of Who? and When? and Why?

I'd be surprised if the McGinnis bros could have gone down that far. And of course they could have retrieved something much earlier.

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be surprised if the McGinnis bros could have gone down that far. And of course they could have retrieved something much earlier.
There seems to be no question - McGinnis didn’t get down to 94 feet. The story goes that he got to 30 feet which might itself be questionable since this would be risky without cribbing even in dried-out blue clay.

I’ve read that the presumed flood tunnel found in the original Money Pit at 111 feet sloped upwards at 22.5 degrees which would mean that it would be found at 94 feet some 20 feet from the Pit - maybe suggesting they could be off target?

In any event, there's no record that this 'flood' tunnel was timbered (it was clean-cut measuring 4 feet by 2.5 feet).

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Therefore, in order to hide this information from the public, a non-disclosure agreement was made with the family.

I just can't picture anyone coming up with a non-disclosure agreement in the 1700's! That's a recent idea devised by lawyers to protect companies from bad press.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I just can't picture anyone coming up with a non-disclosure agreement in the 1700's! That's a recent idea devised by lawyers to protect companies from bad press.
I may not have been clear that this non-disclosure agreement was made by the History Channel/Lagina brothers with the McGinnis woman to whom the gold cross was handed down. This was an effort to hide the truth of the 3 chests of treasure that was found. Thank you for all the comments!

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure was found on OI in the initial dig back in 1790's. They found 3 treasure chests and divided them equally between the 3 boys (Daniel McGinnis, John Smith and Anthony Vaughn) who dug the pit.

My opinion is that there is no solid evidence to prove that any more treasure really exists... Just look at the many excavations done over these years as well as the current holes dug so far by the Lagina's over 10-11 years of which all have not produced one single gold or silver coin.
While I don't deny the possibility of the three having found a deposit above the 30 feet level, I don't consider that the 'evidence' presented to support this constitutes proof.

Furthermore, the reason they're not finding any treasure could equally be because they're looking in the wrong place. Maybe it was deposited well away from the Money Pit area in the high ground to the northeast. of the Pit

OP
OP
M

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week they're re-drilling RF1 to see if anything was missed but on the way down they are redirected into an old borehole. Did a rock push them off course, or did they encounter the edge of the Chappell vault?

Back at the Garden shaft, they are carefully shoring up the shaft in preparation for going lower. But it is mid-September as hurricane Lee arrives. So they have to shut down for safety reason, because the storm is likely to be a direct hit.

Oak Island "wins again" for this week, and secrets below the Garden Shaft are still safely hidden.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The McGinnis sisters with the cross was an odd episode. The cross itself was weird too. Looked like it had stones pried out of it.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep on watching for some reason. It would be nice if they found something other than what Gary finds detecting. The glass beads that the ladies found are nice. My biggest gripe aside from the endlessly repetitive narrator is Rick trying to sound like such a prickish intellect with every damn word that comes out of his mouth. I don't know if I ever heard "construct" used as a noun so many times in my life. Oh, one other thing: I'm amazed that somebody hasn' t cut the crap out of themselves. Apparently, gloves are frowned upon on Oak Island.

OP
OP
M

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurricane Lee completely refilled the swamp, however the Garden Shaft was intact and they were able to quickly resume digging. Finally they expose intact timbers, apparently adz-cut and outlining a horizontal shaft at 100 feet. Could this be a shaft from the original depositors?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be they're getting ready to admit they found nothing in 20 episodes this season? Could it be they're ready to promote a Season 12 of the show? Yup. As long as they get the ratings, they'll keep getting paid a cool two million each season to find absolutely nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread