Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point, the only reasons why I'm still watching this show are a.) I've already watched close to 8 seasons, so might as well see it through to the end, b.) I like seeing sites being dug up using massive equipment, and c.) I do find certain things, like the discovery of old searcher shafts or the stone roads interesting.

As far as the treasure is concerned, IMO there are only 2 alternatives left. A.) Pirates buried treasure 10-20 feet deep on the island and it was discovered long ago by people like Samuel Ball, or B.) the original depositors did go to great lengths to bury the treasure in the money pit area. The only issue with this alternative is that if the original depositors went to such great lengths to bury this massive haul of treasure, why on earth would they not then come back and excavate the whole thing out when the time was right? These guys keep talking about how much money, time and effort the British, French or Spanish put into creating this complicated network of tunnels to hide the treasure, but then for whatever reason decided to leave the entire haul there because they didn't care about it anymore.

Also, the whole metal detecting has gotten super boring. One season they'll find a hundred coins, then the next season it's all nails and now this season it's ox shoe after ox shoe. The only surprising thing thus far is that they've found zero precious metals on the island after so many searches. I bet even my backyard would yield more treasure at this point.

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At some point you would think they will have to openly consider the plausible explanations for the things that have been found on Oak Island.. Still not holding my breath.. Treasure hunt sells more advertising dollars than normal human industry..

There are the other plausible explanations, but they also don't find things such as the last equipment left as the South Sea Company might have abruptly abandoned operations in 1722 after its stock imploded. The archeologists note in the show that the things have been picked clean; no normal evidence of human activity clues.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode:

The drillers head out to find a nonferrous target in the Barringer tunnel near Smith's Cove. I notice that they didn't try to duplicate the original VLF radio wave survey taken in 1988. I'm quite suspect of this technique. But drill baby, drill! At borehole NF1, they find clay: ideal tunnel construction area. But they reach limestone without finding any gold. At borehole NF2, again only Mother Nature but no tunnel. They calculate they would need up to 16 holes to exclude possible treasure from the Barringer nonferrous targets. So the Barringer drilling is placed on the shelf as they return to the Money Pit.

At the rock road near the swamp, they uncover a possible corner in the swamp road. Could it unlock the entire mystery? Gary finds a single loop military style button, likely from 1750-1850. And a piece of old fire grate. A square rock that was likely a flintlock from a 17th century musket. Ancient French pottery from the early 1760's.

The team inspected some saved Dan Blankenship artifacts from the 70's. They take one of Dan's swamp finds made of layered metal to Carmen who dates it to the 1400's, and likely part of a cannon ignition port.

They dig a trench through the swamp down to the hardpan. As they dig, they find a piece of finished wood: the railing of the sunken Spanish Galleon! A top pocket find for Billy! And they are being blocked from further trenching by likely wooden beams.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode:

WHAT no gold.... I was certain they would find it this week...

Thanks Mike

So 21 episodes this season and they have found a) old wood b) water c) exposed more of a road known about for 50+ years d) a "serpent shaped" mound of dirt dumped by previous searchers e) Old metal junk; and d) taken a look at more old junk found by Dan....

WOW that was worth the 21 hours of TV time....

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may find the "Katherine" next week. There was a ship of Sir Henry Sinclair, the Katherine shipwrecked June, 1398 and burned in the Swamp. I hope they find 14th Century Timbers to go with the handrail found this week.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In this week's episode:

The drillers head out to find a nonferrous target in the Barringer tunnel near Smith's Cove. I notice that they didn't try to duplicate the original VLF radio wave survey taken in 1988. I'm quite suspect of this technique. But drill baby, drill! At borehole NF1, they find clay: ideal tunnel construction area. But they reach limestone without finding any gold. At borehole NF2, again only Mother Nature but no tunnel. They calculate they would need up to 16 holes to exclude possible treasure from the Barringer nonferrous targets. So the Barringer drilling is placed on the shelf as they return to the Money Pit.

At the rock road near the swamp, they uncover a possible corner in the swamp road. Could it unlock the entire mystery? Gary finds a single loop military style button, likely from 1750-1850. And a piece of old fire grate. A square rock that was likely a flintlock from a 17th century musket. Ancient French pottery from the early 1760's.

The team inspected some saved Dan Blankenship artifacts from the 70's. They take one of Dan's swamp finds made of layered metal to Carmen who dates it to the 1400's, and likely part of a cannon ignition port.

They dig a trench through the swamp down to the hardpan. As they dig, they find a piece of finished wood: the railing of the sunken Spanish Galleon! A top pocket find for Billy! And they are being blocked from further trenching by likely wooden beams.

I noticed that they kept referring to the anomalies as "non-ferrous targets, so therefore it could be gold or silver"... I think Marth even said, "'Non-ferrous' means TREASURE"! My 10-year-old granddaughter asked me, "Do they even know that it's metal at all? It could just be a big rock". TRUE.

I need to re-watch a portion, because I do think one team member MAY have said "non-ferrous metal" in one statement, but every statement afterwards used the terms "non-ferrous material" or "non-ferrous target/anomaly" .

The Beamish Geomagnetic surveys of 1965 and 66, the Barringer survey of 1988, and several others performed in 1992, 1994, and 2001 (VLF and GPR) ALL agree on one finding - that their results were INCONCLUSIVE. Geomagnetic surveys can ONLY detect areas in which the magnetic properties or conductivity of the material/soil or object are DIFFERENT than the material around it. It does not POSITIVELY identify it an item as metal. It can INDICATE the POSSIBILITY of something being metallic...or an aquifer of salt water. Those of us that have used VLF metal detectors (much more sensitive and discriminatory than geomagnetic equipment) know that gold gives VDI reading/tone similar aluminum or nickel, due having similar electrical conductivity, and detecting a salt-water beach gives all sorts of weird readings.

Oak Island Tours.ca has this "Download" file, from several years BEFORE "The Curse" aired (2008), which appears to be a series of PowerPoint slides, to shown during a discussion or lecture. It presents the findings of the several surveys mentioned above. Not a lot of detailed explanations, but does have interesting data, talking points...AND CONCLUSIONS. Yes - it does sort of wander into "woo" territory in the latter part of the slide show with their theories, but I found the data to be interesting.
https://www.oakislandtours.ca/uploa...08_geophysics_oak_island_les_m_june_22_08.pdf

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So 21 episodes this season and they have found a) old wood b) water c) exposed more of a road known about for 50+ years d) a "serpent shaped" mound of dirt dumped by previous searchers e) Old metal junk; and d) taken a look at more old junk found by Dan....

If the latest find is not just the remains of a building that was blown to sea in Halifax and floated into the swamp, but an actual ship - it could get interesting. It's hard to imagine even an actual ship clarifying the activities on the island however. Even the fabled Spanish Galleon full of treasure would leave as many questions as answers.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak Island Tours.ca has this "Download" file, from several years BEFORE "The Curse" aired (2008), which appears to be a series of PowerPoint slides, to shown during a discussion or lecture. It presents the findings of the several surveys mentioned above. Not a lot of detailed explanations, but does have interesting data, talking points...AND CONCLUSIONS. Yes - it does sort of wander into "woo" territory in the latter part of the slide show with their theories, but I found the data to be interesting.
https://www.oakislandtours.ca/uploa...08_geophysics_oak_island_les_m_june_22_08.pdf

That's a great set of slides - gives much more information.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that they kept referring to the anomalies as "non-ferrous targets, so therefore it could be gold or silver"... I think Marth even said, "'Non-ferrous' means TREASURE"! My 10-year-old granddaughter asked me, "Do they even know that it's metal at all? It could just be a big rock". TRUE.

I need to re-watch a portion, because I do think one team member MAY have said "non-ferrous metal" in one statement, but every statement afterwards used the terms "non-ferrous material" or "non-ferrous target/anomaly" .

The Beamish Geomagnetic surveys of 1965 and 66, the Barringer survey of 1988, and several others performed in 1992, 1994, and 2001 (VLF and GPR) ALL agree on one finding - that their results were INCONCLUSIVE. Geomagnetic surveys can ONLY detect areas in which the magnetic properties or conductivity of the material/soil or object are DIFFERENT than the material around it. It does not POSITIVELY identify it an item as metal. It can INDICATE the POSSIBILITY of something being metallic...or an aquifer of salt water. Those of us that have used VLF metal detectors (much more sensitive and discriminatory than geomagnetic equipment) know that gold gives VDI reading/tone similar aluminum or nickel, due having similar electrical conductivity, and detecting a salt-water beach gives all sorts of weird readings.

They used ground resistivity meters back in the 1980's, highly unlikely to locate precious metals or non-ferrous metals. Sand and quartz will show up as gold and silver. Useless piece of equipment. The instruments were faulty.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
They may find the "Katherine" next week.
There was a ship of Sir Henry Sinclair, the Katherine shipwrecked June, 1398 and burned in the Swamp.
I hope they find 14th Century Timbers to go with the handrail found this week.
I hope someone with real professional credentials in marine history and marine archaeology explain what type of ship was available to 14th century Henry Sinclair that could make a voyage across the Atlantic.
It is always Sinclair made the trip with a band of geriatric Templars to hide treasure, but never in what type of vessel of that period that could carry all those men and a payload of treasure.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the latest find is not just the remains of a building that was blown to sea in Halifax and floated into the swamp, but an actual ship - it could get interesting. It's hard to imagine even an actual ship clarifying the activities on the island however. Even the fabled Spanish Galleon full of treasure would leave as many questions as answers.

Maintenance was performed on ships on hoax island. Nothing new there.....probably all kinds of garbage left over along with ox shoes....

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope someone with real professional credentials in marine history and marine archaeology explain what type of ship was available to 14th century Henry Sinclair that could make a voyage across the Atlantic.
It is always Sinclair made the trip with a band of geriatric Templars to hide treasure, but never in what type of vessel of that period that could carry all those men and a payload of treasure.

Hell people had been crossing the Atlantic 5,000 years before King Arthur and the Welsh. Ralph de Sudeley and the Templars and the Vikings. Go and read some of Julius Caesar's letters. He explains quite eloquently that the Welsh Navy was more prepared and more equipped to sail rough seas than the Roman Navy.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT no gold.... I was certain they would find it this week...

Thanks Mike

Not to mention that every time they visit Carmen the Black Smith he's always forging metal. Just once I want the crew to catch him while the guys is taking a coffee break or watching TV at his home.

Also, why does the narrator always choose the earlier date when talking about a specific find? Gary: "This button has to be from 1750 to 1850". Narrator: "1750?, almost 50 years before the money pit was discovered?"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hell people had been crossing the Atlantic 5,000 years before King Arthur and the Welsh.
Ralph de Sudeley and the Templars and the Vikings.
Go and read some of Julius Caesar's letters. He explains quite eloquently that the Welsh Navy was more prepared and more equipped to sail rough seas than the Roman Navy.
I read Caesar's Commentaries in Latin, and he NEVER mentioned a Welsh navy., nor did he ever go into Wales
Please cite that passage from which you base your statement.
Ralph de Sudeley's alleged voyage is based, like Muir's Sinclair voyage, on a fictional work, The Cremona Document and Onteora Document, which Donald Huh and Zena Halpern created their pseudo history version.
Ralph de Sudeley is best known for having a "museum" on his estate containing "HOLY RELICS" for which he charged admission.
I remember someone mentioning his son, Oteul, was the old spelling of their last name, a subtle, but wrong claim of descendance.
If people crossed the Atlantic 5000 years before Arthur's 6rh century, please provide the source of this "history changing" information, AND, what no one ever mentions, the type of vessels capable of making this voyage.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read Caesar's Commentaries in Latin, and he NEVER mentioned a Welsh navy., nor did he ever go into Wales
Please cite that passage from which you base your statement.
Ralph de Sudeley's alleged voyage is based, like Muir's Sinclair voyage, on a fictional work, The Cremona Document and Onteora Document, which Donald Huh and Zena Halpern created their pseudo history version.
Ralph de Sudeley is best known for having a "museum" on his estate containing "HOLY RELICS" for which he charged admission.
I remember someone mentioning his son, Oteul, was the old spelling of their last name, a subtle, but wrong claim of descendance.
If people crossed the Atlantic 5000 years before Arthur's 6rh century, please provide the source of this "history changing" information, AND, what no one ever mentions, the type of vessels capable of making this voyage.

Even though certain individuals are on my ignore list, when their fantastical false claims are quoted, I unfortunately have to see them.

Some folks live in a fantasy world and keep making false statements hoping that someone considers them relevant. The nonsense posted here is just incredible.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SingleStack... Oak Island is a Templar Bunker to protect from the air-raids from UFO's.

Love your "signature" btw...

What a way to get the "last word" in. :)

heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions