Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buried-phone-cable.jpg

I just got my new Garrett Ace 350 (newbie). My first day I just found some trash and started learning how the machine worked. I soon wimped out I didn't dress warm enough!

Today after reading (well some of them) instructions, I set out after work to practice some more. Somewhere I read Garrett recommends running in zero discrimination mode for the first 10 hours of practice to get used to the different sounds and indications.

My first find was the telephone cable coming to the house.... only 6 inches deep? hmmm and NO I didn't call before I dug.

Who would have thought.

Upvote 1

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets be honest here, who still uses a house phone these days?
More people than you think. Thats like asking "Who still writes checks" Yet I see them doing it all the time.

But you have a point. Go ahead and cut that thing and see what goes out.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Were you running in like all metal? I've only came across my telephone cord once, and thats because there was two clad quarters below it once i pulled them out even in all metal i didnt get any readings on it

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...keep searching..I've found about a dollars worth of change just around my house....BTW: do have a house phone but it's a viop..:)

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
A swing & A miss! I've done it too got a really good signal cleaning my moms yard, it was the DSL line (AKA PHONE LINE)

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh thats scary... Thats why I havent really done much detecting directly around my house... Im still new too, and wouldnt want to cut up any power lines or anything... or the electric fence for the dogs

I tried doing all metal with my 250, but there is sooo much junk iron and nails and crap laying around here, i would never get more than a foot or 2 without digging another hole...

Ive been using the jewelery mode, with medium sensitivity and finding goodies here and there, but I still havent locked down the tones... still digging tons of pull tabs... I guess it does really take 20+ hours to know what your doing... I would guess im around 7-10 hours

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks a lot like sprinkler wire or maybe cable tv.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough time of the year to take up the hobby. Unless we have another nice winter like last year. You'll just really be getting into it when winter shuts you down. Still it's going to be really nice Friday and Saturday, so get out and swing your heart out.

Lets be honest here, who still uses a house phone these days?

I ditched my land line years ago.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting a great detector. I've found some amazing relics and coins with my Ace 350. Make sure you take care of it. I'm finding over time it's coming a little loose in places. I'm going send it back over Christmas (as I won't be detecting) as I hear Garrett customer service is top notch.

My biggest gripe is the headphones wire. It gets caught and tangled a lot! But otherwise, it's fantastic.

One major tip: Learn to pinpoint as best you can. Watch videos for all the different techniques. When you pinpoint, you go into zero mode, so even if you have a high tone, you may zone in on some iron that you had previously discriminated out. And even when you're super careful you may really miss the mark. I highly recommend the Garrett Pro Pointer (or other pinpointer). I won't go hunting without it. Saves me a lot of grief and speeds up your finds immensely!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could've been an opps! Glad you didn't cut it. Luckily where I live, all the lines (electric, phone, cable, etc.) are above ground. It's he** in the winter with the heavy ice and snow, but we don't have to worry about digging them up. Yup, I still have a land line. Our cell service leaves us walking around asking, "can you hear me now?".

Keep swinging that call, low and slow...the goodies are there.

HH,
Anita

Beercanman

Feb 26, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
There's no way your detector hit on that phone wire at 6". Must be other metal around. Try lifting the coil off the ground and see how high off the ground you still get the signal. To dig or not is your decision.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beercanman said:
There's no way your detector hit on that phone wire at 6". Must be other metal around. Try lifting the coil off the ground and see how high off the ground you still get the signal. To dig or not is your decision.

Why do you say that?

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
Mzjavert said:
I ditched my land line years ago.

So when u "ditched" your phone line being so much better than the rest of us you literally walked outside and pulled it out of the ground? Or took it down off the pole? Just curious?

And yes my GTI 2500 will tone over a DSL line all day long....

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

I wasn't going to argue with anyone, but I was fairly certain that it was the line that was causing the ring.... hmm phone line causes a ring... oh well moving on.

I have been watching videos on youtube and I can see I also need a pinpointer. This would definitely help.

I did away with the phone company phone line a couple of years ago. I have a vonage box connected to the cable. So this line isn't really in use anymore so it really wouldn't have hurt
to have cut it. But I was digging carefully so as not to cause damage to my "treasure" find.

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

Yes I was running in all metal or zero discrimination mode. OK I have to make a confession here - I read the instructions - ok ok I watched the videos that came with the detector. Garrett recommendation is to run in the "Zero" mode for the first 10 hours to become familiar with the detector and its various audible alerts. So that was what I was doing.

Yeah I know - what was I thinking reading instructions (OK watching the instruction video)? Well it was dark outside and its hard to play with my detector in the house or outside in the dark.....

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy

Well yeah its not the best timing but I have all winter to learn about my detector, search & research techniques.

So what part of Indiana do you live in? I am down south about 35 miles northwest of Louisville KY

OP
OP
webatch

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok just looked at my posts and realized they are not inserted in the thread where I clicked on reply. They are just posted at the end... Sorry folks new to this site & forum as well as the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread