jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the saying goes, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, and Aaron LaPedis is living proof. Over the years he’s been so successful buying and reselling other people’s unwanted items, he’s earned the nickname The Garage Sale Millionaire and even written a book about it. His most recent gem: photo negatives of Elvis Presley’s famous appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show — the one where Sullivan told him he couldn’t shake his hips — that he hopes to sell for six figures. Secrets from the Garage Sale Millionaire - Yahoo! Finance

We must have been watching the same TV show last night (I would have watched it TiVo'd so not sure what day it was actually on).

Pretty interesting segment on him.

Dress the part and show you have limited cash. Like I have a choice.

I didn't read the book but...

Regarding that article,

1. DUH!

2. While those kinds of finds are impressive, that kind of stuff is highly unlikely to be picked by even the most experienced person. If you want to succeed at garage sales you are gonna need to do way more than what is suggested in that article.

3. Seems a bit outdated. It should mention how you have to compete now - with the internet, Iphones/Ipads, and those TV shows you are fighting a losing battle.

Last edited:
A story on this guy was on Yahoo news the other day. Pretty interesting. My former partner made a great deal of money buying at garage sales here. She would make the rounds then bring them out to our antique store and sell them. Her two biggest items were a pair of drinking cups(early spanish from here in town) and a piece of furniture that was described to me as a wedding bureau. She sold both for enough money to never work much again. It's her hobby now, mine is sitting here and looking at this site.

The good old days of picking are no more. Nowadays the competition is stiff, due to the vast array of tv shows as well as internet sites, combined with the current economic and unemployment status of the country. Everyone and their uncle is in on the game, or so it seems when your out there doing it. The better educated you are in your areas of collecting/buying, the better off you are. There are good deals to be found but they are getting fewer and further between. You better be well versed in many areas of collecting if you want to be able to make any real money consistently, nowadays.

no mention of "bring your smartphone to the goodwill, and google the items that catch your eye"

No mention of hallmarks.

They do say to buy "coins" - - -great - time to offload my Chinese fakes. (kidding, sort of)

no mention of "bring your smartphone to the goodwill, and google the items that catch your eye"

No mention of hallmarks.

They do say to buy "coins" - - -great - time to offload my Chinese fakes. (kidding, sort of)

I've always wanted to put a Fake Saint-Gaudens in a box of old worthless junk at one of my yard sales.

Just to see if anyone offers to buy the whole box from me. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back