What's new

selling silver coins

jay741

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
i remember reading on this site of a place in mass that buys silver but could not rember the name or find it again. does any one know of it and for anyone would sold some of there coins where did you sell them and for what price compared to spot thanks
 
Upvote 0
I will attempt to shed some light on this tricky subject. As of this writing, silver is at $19.12 per ounce. At this figure, a 90% half dollar has $6.92 in silver melt value. A 40% silver half is worth about $2.83 in silver melt value. You would be hard pressed to get close to this figure unless you are very lucky. The big silver buyers like Apmex,DGSE, and others would like to buy your silver at or just below 90% of spot silver. That depends upon how much you have also. The more you have, the more they pay. Most of these places provide you with some help in the shipping your coins to them. After they receive your coins, they will make you an offer depending on the price of silver. You can then sit back and wait for your check to arrive.
There are several forum friendlies that are fond of eBay but you will spend a bunch in fees including Pay Pal. Others like Craigslist where you should meet someone in a well lit public area such as a coffee shop.
One more option is to gather up what you have and list it on the forum for free under the selling section. Good Luck, Jim
 
I buy sometimes on ebay at below spot (including shipping). Mostly the final prices I see are right around spot (with shipping). So I would guess most sellers are getting ~spot - shipping - fess. I don't sell stuff so I don't know what the fees are. I also get the 1% back from my CC. I actually live close to Jason Hommels new mint and his retail outlets but their prices are not even close to competitive against Monex or CNI. I wish I could find a crazy CRH in my area that could keep me supplied.
 
2cents,
r u saying that u want more competition in ur area as far as crhing????? how many silvers do u find on aver. per box, cuz i would b willing to move 2 ur area if the silver is good? :laughing9:
ps jay741, ive never sold silver, but ive always heard good things about ampex...but if u get screwed, i better not end up w/ a law suit :laughing9:
 
jay741

An alternative would be local dealers I was at a coin show and they were 12 x1 when silver melt was 13.3 to 1. You will need to shop because a number of dealers are at 10 to 1 or less in the same timeframe.

Cheers!
 
Silverminer said:
jay741

An alternative would be local deals I was at a coin show and they were 12 x1 when silver melt was 13.3 to 1. You will need to shop because a number of deals are at 10 to 1 or less in the same timeframe.

Cheers!
I like the local show deals too; cash w/no paper trail. ffd
 
CHAINCHOMP said:
2cents,
r u saying that u want more competition in ur area as far as crhing????? how many silvers do u find on aver. per box, cuz i would b willing to move 2 ur area if the silver is good? :laughing9:
ps jay741, ive never sold silver, but ive always heard good things about ampex...but if u get screwed, i better not end up w/ a law suit :laughing9:

I have not had much luck with halves or dimes around here. I've been doing mostly nickels and pennies this year. 1 40% per 1K in halves is just not worth it to me. I have a frined picking my up two boxes of halves from a CU in Utah this month when she goes out there. I got lucky and scored 14 40% last time from that CU. The tellers at my local bank keep the silver themselves so no picking up loose halves. I know there are a couple of other people looking for coins because I overheard them talking about it.

I missed the last coin show in my area. My sons b-day party was that day.
 
2Cents said:
CHAINCHOMP said:
2cents,
r u saying that u want more competition in ur area as far as crhing????? how many silvers do u find on aver. per box, cuz i would b willing to move 2 ur area if the silver is good? :laughing9:
ps jay741, ive never sold silver, but ive always heard good things about ampex...but if u get screwed, i better not end up w/ a law suit :laughing9:

I have not had much luck with halves or dimes around here. I've been doing mostly nickels and pennies this year. 1 40% per 1K in halves is just not worth it to me. I have a frined picking my up two boxes of halves from a CU in Utah this month when she goes out there. I got lucky and scored 14 40% last time from that CU. The tellers at my local bank keep the silver themselves so no picking up loose halves. I know there are a couple of other people looking for coins because I overheard them talking about it.

I missed the last coin show in my area. My sons b-day party was that day.
I agree 2C; I found that my 1 or 2 40's per 10 boxes was costing me a fortune in time and gas, those 40's cost me about $10 a piece over time, but, I found that cold calling for loose and rolls on road trips is much more successful! ffd
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom