What's new

Semi-key date Walker found

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
811
Golden Thread
0
Location
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening all. Found this nice date walker today in the first of 3 boxes. The box only had 12 silvers total but 8 were walkers. I had to look twice at the worn one. A 1916-S,only 508,000 minted! My book lists it at $110.00 in G-4.
The 2nd box was a skunk and the 3rd had 2 40%ers. Thanks for looking. MM2
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3301.webp
    DSCN3301.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN3302.webp
    DSCN3302.webp
    27 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN3300.webp
    DSCN3300.webp
    71.9 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
Great finds. Sweet deal on the 16-S. Congrats! :thumbsup:
 
nice find, I feel stupid didn't know they go back that far >:( so much to learn still
 
Thanks all. The 1916 is the only year that only had the obverse mintmark. In 1917, the mintmark could either be on the obverse or reverse, and from 1918 on they were only on the reverse.
 
Congrats MM2 , damn you have found a few key date Walkers ...as I recall you found 2 last year ...kudos keep up the great finds and you will have a set after awhile :icon_thumright: , Ed
 
Scalper said:
Congrats MM2 , damn you have found a few key date Walkers ...as I recall you found 2 last year ...kudos keep up the great finds and you will have a set after awhile :icon_thumright: , Ed
Thanks Ed. Actually we only got the 1 key date Walker(1921) but we did get the 1955 Ben, and a better date 1917-S(Obv). We only had 2 walkers total in all of Nov-Dec 2009,this year is starting out better.
 
congrats on the key walker! I'd say that is a solid G-4
 
Goes4ever said:
congrats on the key walker! I'd say that is a solid G-4
Thanks, it still has a little bit of the reeded edge on it. Usually in AG, the edge is perfectly smooth. There are some minor edge bumps at about 7 oclock and on the reverse, there is something at about 3 oclock. But it's still not a bad looking coin for it's age.
 
Is that a 38-d?

Maine_Jim
 
maine_Jim said:
Is that a 38-d?

Maine_Jim
I was hoping but it wasn't to be. One day.
 
I think I'm more interested in your comment " the box only had 12 silvers in it ..." than the
fact that you scored a money coin -- just a simple question for you - Do you routinely find more
than 12 silvers in a single box - ( 1000 coin box) ? I have been hunting off and on since 1970
12 in one box would be very good odds for me ! I would be interested in others comments
about this as well . Argentium.
 
Ok, that's it. I am going to move to NJ tomorrow.
 
Argentium said:
I think I'm more interested in your comment " the box only had 12 silvers in it ..." than the
fact that you scored a money coin -- just a simple question for you - Do you routinely find more
than 12 silvers in a single box - ( 1000 coin box) ? I have been hunting off and on since 1970
12 in one box would be very good odds for me ! I would be interested in others comments
about this as well . Argentium.
I probably should have worded that differently. 12 is above average for my area. Usually when we find a money coin, the box is loaded with silver. Last year we found a 1921, that box had over 100 silvers in it.
Let me add something that you might find interesting. I keep a log of what i find in each box. In Dec of 2008, the boxes were dismal. As soon as 2009 rolled around, the boxes improved dramatically. Fast forward to Nov-Dec 2009. Boxes are horrible, easily 2 out of 3 boxes are skunks and the remaining boxes only have 1 or 2 silvers for the most part. Starting right around the Christmas holiday of 2009, the boxes have gotten better, only 2 skunk boxes out of 15 so far.
 
All those walkers appear in great shape. When I am lucky to find one around here, its mostly worn so bad you cant make out the date. Great find on the semi !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom