Separating Silver or other metals from Panned Gold

NCprospecting

Sep 27, 2023
I've been collecting rocks for about a year now and it's been a painstaking process crushing the Quartz especially (I didn't know it was dangerous to breath the dust and crushed Quartz for 2 months without a Mask). I just recently started panning and I've got a little vial of flakes, but now I've encountered a new problem. I can't seem to separate a grey/silver colored sand from my black sand. Could this be silver or platinum? This is the first time I've encountered this issue where the light color sand won't separate from the black sand.

I'm including some pictures, I bought a 22k Gold Acid test kit but it's not really helpful since I need a decent size piece of gold to rub on the ceramic. I put acid on the flakes and It didn't disolve them, they aren't magnetic. Do they look like gold to someone's more experienced than myself?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NCprospecting

Sep 27, 2023
Here is the pictures, they were too big to post on here so I had to use a app to lower the quality.

Attachments

• 20230927_124729.jpg
    20230927_124729.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230927_124641.jpg
    20230927_124641.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230927_124602.jpg
    20230927_124602.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 27

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It is very difficult to separate flour gold from black sand using only a gold pan.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been collecting rocks for about a year now and it's been a painstaking process crushing the Quartz especially (I didn't know it was dangerous to breath the dust and crushed Quartz for 2 months without a Mask). I just recently started panning and I've got a little vial of flakes, but now I've encountered a new problem. I can't seem to separate a grey/silver colored sand from my black sand. Could this be silver or platinum? This is the first time I've encountered this issue where the light color sand won't separate from the black sand.

I'm including some pictures, I bought a 22k Gold Acid test kit but it's not really helpful since I need a decent size piece of gold to rub on the ceramic. I put acid on the flakes and It didn't disolve them, they aren't magnetic. Do they look like gold to someone's more experienced than myself?
If the particles are similar in size and won't separate while panning then they are likely of similar specific gravity. Silver is at least twice as heavy as iron sands so should separate while carefully panning. Also silver tarnishes so likely would not be bright at all.

Good luck

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Grey/silver color could be mercury but not from crushing quartz. If you have been panning in a river, mercury was used by the old timers and they weren't too careful with it apparently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions