Service Dept

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hows everyone's experiences trying to get service from Minelab when something breaks?
I had some pinpointer issues a while back and they were quick and thorough. However, on my latest issue I called two weeks ago, left my name, number and serial # just as they asked, 3 days later...nothing. So I called back and left my info again, nothing. My 3rd try yesterday I emailed my info, haven't heard back. :icon_scratch:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week While in Norfolk I broke the ears on my coil, sent Minelab pics, they sent me an rma, I shipped it on Tuesday, they got it yesterday, and shipped a new one today. Always had good service from Minelab.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had excellent service from them. They even sent me parts that I didn't ask for, but, THOUGHT I would need based on what broke! :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week While in Norfolk I broke the ears on my coil, sent Minelab pics, they sent me an rma, I shipped it on Tuesday, they got it yesterday, and shipped a new one today. Always had good service from Minelab.

To All,

ML service/support responsiveness seems variable depending on how folks attempted to initially contact them (email or phone) and also depending on which numbers or email addresses folks used. COVID seems to have affected responsiveness of the support center in general (staff cutbacks?) and repair parts availability too. Also, you need to recognize the difference between the support center in Naperville, IL that handles the initial processing of support requests and the detector repair center in Pennsylvania that does the actual repairs - two different places. If you attempt to contact the repair center directly before you have been given an RMA from the support center or before they have received your detector then you will likely delay getting your service request going.

Keith Leppert who owns Ft. Bedford Detectors but who also runs the independent ML authorized detector repair center has suggested the following approach:

Detector Center is an independent but Minelab dedicated Authorized Service Center.

This business is staffed by technicians who repair detectors, but Minelab's Naperville office handles the initial processing of your concerns and put the repair process in motion. To set up a repair, first contact Minelab Service at the following contact points:

877-767-6522 or [email protected]

The address to ship your detector after you first contact Minelab for initial processing:

Detector Center
188 Oak Shade Road
Alum Bank, PA 15521

If you've contacted ML support/service recently post what worked best for you (or what definitely didn't work) - phone or email and post the email or phone number that got you the quickest response if different from above. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, vferrari, I used the 6522 number. Twice I left my info and the machine said they'd call back so I didn't have to wait on the line. Never called back. The third time I left my info via the service email you also mentioned above...they STILL haven't contacted me. It's been three weeks now. I guess I have to try a fourth time.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, vferrari, I used the 6522 number. Twice I left my info and the machine said they'd call back so I didn't have to wait on the line. Never called back. The third time I left my info via the service email you also mentioned above...they STILL haven't contacted me. It's been three weeks now. I guess I have to try a fourth time.

That is odd Char, I received my new replacement coil today. Cant understand why they don't communicate with you, makes no sense.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is odd Char, I received my new replacement coil today. Cant understand why they don't communicate with you, makes no sense.
I called AGAIN two days ago, left info, nothing.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One day short of 3 weeks, I received an email from Minelab asking me for all the information I've already give them. At least they finally know I'm alive.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day short of 3 weeks, I received an email from Minelab asking me for all the information I've already give them. At least they finally know I'm alive.

Wish I had a good answer as to why it took so long for them to get back to you, but I don't. Maybe I was just lucky.

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can see where that would be really frustrating.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You would think minelab would have one facility devoted to water leaks and another facility devoted to coil ear breaks and another facility for wobbles, uh nothing they can do about that so maybe just a phone messages to some good carbon shaft suppliers would handle that. And then another facility for everything else. Maybe that would streamline things a bit. Still love my 800 but won't submerge it again. I consider it only a "water resistant detector" only in a light drizzle.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think minelab would have one facility devoted to water leaks and another facility devoted to coil ear breaks and another facility for wobbles, uh nothing they can do about that so maybe just a phone messages to some good carbon shaft suppliers would handle that. And then another facility for everything else. Maybe that would streamline things a bit. Still love my 800 but won't submerge it again. I consider it only a "water resistant detector" only in a light drizzle.

That makes no sense at all and would greatly increase the cost of the Equinox.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then I was finally given a ticket number, I sent it in, they said theres nothing wrong with it and I have to pay $52 before they send it back.
I questioned that after a month of inaction they were going to hold my equipment until I paid, for doing NOTHNG? He answered that it couldn't have been a month. I listed exact times of phone and email records. He immediately called me on the phone. He kept saying I wouldn't get my equipment back until I paid for NO WORK DONE.
He didn't ask if it was under warranty, he had the serial number and could have checked...I told him it wasn't a year old. He didn't believe me and told me to send him the receipt...which I then did. Only THEN did they send my equipment back...he also admitted it could be defective but worked in their shop so they cant do anything about it.
They probably sent it back the slowest way possible...and I know it's defective!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then I was finally given a ticket number, I sent it in, they said theres nothing wrong with it and I have to pay $52 before they send it back.
I questioned that after a month of inaction they were going to hold my equipment until I paid, for doing NOTHNG? He answered that it couldn't have been a month. I listed exact times of phone and email records. He immediately called me on the phone. He kept saying I wouldn't get my equipment back until I paid for NO WORK DONE.
He didn't ask if it was under warranty, he had the serial number and could have checked...I told him it wasn't a year old. He didn't believe me and told me to send him the receipt...which I then did. Only THEN did they send my equipment back...he also admitted it could be defective but worked in their shop so they cant do anything about it.
They probably sent it back the slowest way possible...and I know it's defective!!

First, there is still a minimum charge even if nothing is found unless proff of warranty is provided. Did you register the s# for the warranty, s# does not say when it was sold, only says when it was made and dealer shipped to, only until it is registered to owner is s# registered as sold. Warranty begins on date sold, not date made. Until they have proof of date sold either registered or sales receipt they will ask for payment.

They will ship it the same way no matter what the resolution was.

What is detector doing or not doing, you never said here? Intermittent electronic issues are extremely hard to isolate, hard to correct a problem that isn't visible when tested.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, TH.
The problem was more of them ignoring me for weeks. That they didn't check product registration or ask me if it was under warranty and billed me...this was a secondary issue.
Is your point that I did something wrong in this exchange with Minelab?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, TH.
The problem was more of them ignoring me for weeks. That they didn't check product registration or ask me if it was under warranty and billed me...this was a secondary issue.
Is your point that I did something wrong in this exchange with Minelab?

No, not at all, I just know Minelab procedures, I use to work for Minelab in repair center. When owners send detector in for repair they should always include note with it with their name, address, contact info, detector S#, if it is under warranty or not and detailed explanation of problem or symptoms. It makes repair run a lot smoother.

What is the issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UPDATE... I received my headphones back from Minelab after they said they worked fine on their bench. Treasure_Hunter and Minelab said electrical issues can be intermittent. I believe them. When I got the headphones back I tried them again and they DO NOT WORK. My SECOND set of Minelab headphones pair perfectly but this set NEVER does (this IS NOT intermittent, they haven't worked once in months).
Monday at 8am I sent them a vid of my good set pairing and this set NOT pairing. In my last email with the video I asked them what recourse I now have and I haven't heard back in two business days. THIS STARTED IN JULY!!!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you factory reset the machine and the headphones. The headphones won't pair with the machine if another set is already paired. Another thing you can do is see if the non-pairing set will pair with another BT device such as a phone or laptop..
Sorry if you know all this or tried these things already, but from our point of view we are only getting snippets of info while you have the entire picture, so keep that in mind. Somehow, ML was able to get the non-pairing set to work at the repair center.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also just FYI, not saying this is the issue, but if you have the WM08 turned on the Bluetooth headphones will not sync, the Equinox looks for WM8 first, if it sees it and syncs it stops looking and will not sync to headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread