She took it away :(

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
bummer buttt... until the money changes hands it's her stuff. You seem upset that you lost the chance to take advantage of her.
Why do you even come in here an read these post if you don't get the concept buy low sell high?? Beachkid next time play dumb an don't use loupe if you don't have too... Nhbandit call it what you want but she had it for sale an it's only worth what the buyer is willing to buy it for..no matter what you think...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you even come in here an read these post if you don't get the concept buy low sell high?? Beachkid next time play dumb an don't use loupe if you don't have too... Nhbandit call it what you want but she had it for sale an it's only worth what the buyer is willing to buy it for..no matter what you think...

I count on hundreds of sellers a year getting too little for their item, because otherwise my selling would not exist!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem upset that you lost the chance to take advantage of her.
This happens to me all the time. It does piss you off. At least once EVERY weekend someone takes something that I pick out at their sale and says, oh that's not for sale. It has nothing to do with trying to take advantage of someone it has to do with brain dead people, no age limit. I have NEVER put something out at a yard sale that I did not intend on getting rid of.Especially a jewelry box full of jewelry. To do so would be irresponsible and yes... s t u p i d.

Maybe an older grandma type who hadn't really taken the time she should have when looking the items over prior to putting them out for sale. Whatever happened she realized that she may had made a mistake and she changed her mind BEFORE making a deal. I don't get why you guys think she is obligated to bend over & take it when no deal has been agreed on. In any event I gave Beachkid the benefit of the doubt when I said he "seems" upset. I didn't call him a thief or chastise him for trying to rip off grandma. I simply commented on the impression I got from his post.
No you didn't call him a thief per say... but you did infer it with this statement "You seem upset that you lost the chance to take advantage of her". That whole comment reeks and should have never been said.

Why does it have to be an older person anyway? Are they less competent, mentally or something? That's the way I'm reading it.

See how your own "wording" can be used against you?

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has happened to me numerous times, because I think the seller is wondering why a guy would be buying jewelry, that is why I have my wife do the negotiating if she is with me, if she is not, I will ask about tools and then say I need to take something home for my wife! I also will usually make an offer for the whole lot! Also the post from NHBandit, to me you implied Beachkid WAS trying to take advantage of the seller whether he offered what she was asking or not! I always give a counter offer at a sale unless the asking price is extremely low. I hope you don't think that is taking advantage of someone...Good luck!.........Scott.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I go to yard sales with my handy price guide and make sure I tell everyone when they are selling something too cheap. I pay retail and sell at break even or a loss. Now if I could just find a way to generate some income, I could buy more gas so that I could educate more yard sale hosts. :D I'm in a sarcastic mood today I guess.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to yard sales with my handy price guide and make sure I tell everyone when they are selling something too cheap. I pay retail and sell at break even or a loss. Now if I could just find a way to generate some income, I could buy more gas so that I could educate more yard sale hosts. :D I'm in a sarcastic mood today I guess.

I hear ya ! When I win an auction too cheap I request we cancel it, and then I tell them how much they should try and sell it for. :)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You guys all want to dogpile on me over my opinion that's cool. I'm a big boy. Let me try to explain a little better so you maybe understand where I'm coming from. It's about integrity. Some of you clearly will never "get it". And nobody ever said you were supposed to pay retail and lose money. We'll use the American Pickers show simply because I'm sure most of you guys have watched it if buying & selling is your hobby. And yeah I do realize that most "reality" shows are staged. How many times have you seen Mike tell someone "you're selling yourself short" and give the seller a little more for their item than he's asking ? He still makes money, gains the trust of the seller, and he can sleep good at night knowing he did the right thing. Frank on the other hand is a bottom feeder. He will nickle & dime the seller, find fault with their stuff, and beat them up until he can buy a $200 item for $20 bucks. Then he will giggle all the way home about how much profit he is going to make. Frank is a scumbag. If those guys showed up at my place I would tell Mike to come on in and tell Frank to wait in the van. With that I'll leave YOUR thread and go find something else to do... You all have a good laugh and continue slapping eachother on the back.

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think showing people the value of what they have and weighing it in front of them was your mistake. This tells them they did or are doing something wrong and people don't like to be told they are wrong. I'm afraid of simply bringing a loop with me. People don't want to see they could have made a mistake... I just try to get a good guesstimate of what the value is and what they have then offer close to that. That is generally more than what they are asking so they end up happy... Better luck next time !! :icon_thumright:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys all want to dogpile on me over my opinion that's cool. I'm a big boy. Let me try to explain a little better so you maybe understand where I'm coming from. It's about integrity. Some of you clearly will never "get it". And nobody ever said you were supposed to pay retail and lose money. We'll use the American Pickers show simply because I'm sure most of you guys have watched it if buying & selling is your hobby. And yeah I do realize that most "reality" shows are staged. How many times have you seen Mike tell someone "you're selling yourself short" and give the seller a little more for their item than he's asking ? He still makes money, gains the trust of the seller, and he can sleep good at night knowing he did the right thing. Frank on the other hand is a bottom feeder. He will nickle & dime the seller, find fault with their stuff, and beat them up until he can buy a $200 item for $20 bucks. Then he will giggle all the way home about how much profit he is going to make. Frank is a scumbag. If those guys showed up at my place I would tell Mike to come on in and tell Frank to wait in the van. With that I'll leave YOUR thread and go find something else to do... You all have a good laugh and continue slapping eachother on the back.

That's some great tv but not how it works in the real word. I have done deals with someone with more money than Romney and if he asks a price, and I say $1,000, and even if he'd be willing to pay 20k, he pays the grand and says thank you very much!

BTW Some do use that Mike tactic, but it's to gain trust to make the bigger deal after! It's rarely to be a great guy.

I'm feeling like I'm arguing detecting with a guy who just bought an Ace 250! :laughing7:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'll pay more than asking price sometimes. I can think of twice that I did just recently. Usually because it's some lady on a fixed income or a fundraiser for a good cause. I bought a pair of B&W floor speakers at a fundraiser a while back. They told me they would take $60 for them. I gave $100 and told her that was still a steal. They are worth $700 on the bay, but I kept them for myself.

Where is that magic "ethical" line? If I pay $5 for an item worth $100, is that too low? What if I pay $20? $50? Even then, I'm taking advantage of them for $50, right? Not the way I see it. If you put out a lemonade stand and sell drinks for ten cents when you could get a dollar, should I refuse to buy any because it's too cheap, or if I buy it at your asking price, have I treated you unethically? You are the one who set the price. I gave what you asked. How am I the one at fault for that?

I have hours and countless hours invested into researching and learning what these items are worth. Just as a mechanic uses his knowledge to provide his income, so can I. That yard sale operator didn't do his research, doesn't know what is trending and what is not, and it's not my obligation ethically or any other way to give him what I worked hard for... for free. If he wants top dollar, he should do the work.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think showing people the value of what they have and weighing it in front of them was your mistake. This tells them they did or are doing something wrong and people don't like to be told they are wrong. I'm afraid of simply bringing a loop with me. People don't want to see they could have made a mistake... I just try to get a good guesstimate of what the value is and what they have then offer close to that. That is generally more than what they are asking so they end up happy... Better luck next time !! :icon_thumright:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:
Carrying a loop is common practice. I carry a large magnifying glass too. These are not just for jewelry. Remember, condition is everything. Around here weighing gold/silver jewelry is also pretty common, I see it regularly. I carry my scale all the time, just in case. I've only needed it a few times, usually it's at the customers request.

The only thing laughable around here is you believing that Mike uses that tactic just to be a nice guy, not to mention using it when the cameras are away. It's called entertainment, as in not real.

Cheese summed it up best-

I have hours and countless hours invested into researching and learning what these items are worth. Just as a mechanic uses his knowledge to provide his income, so can I. That yard sale operator didn't do his research, doesn't know what is trending and what is not, and it's not my obligation ethically or any other way to give him what I worked hard for... for free. If he wants top dollar, he should do the work.

We've beat this horse to death previously anyway... more than once.

icon_deadhorse.gif

With that I bid you farewell.

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
I always find this laughable. They are selling. You are buying. They can charge whatever they want, so if they undercharge, then so be it. They are free to sell it to anyone for any price they choose.

I have gone home plenty of times with fake gold and silver, or electronics that were missing parts that I was not aware of. Can I, and do I return these items for a refund? NO!

If you are out there to make money, then go make money.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Everyone is different, this is my daughter's favorite saying, but for what it is worth, here is my ethical line: If it is marked a dollar and I know it is worth more, even a couple of hundred, I buy it for the dollar they marked it. For all the reasons mentioned here such as they could have done the research, I have put the time into learning this, the connections to sell it or the time to list it on eBay and etc. If I buy more at the same yard sale, I will try and stop myself from asking for a "bundled" price on stuff knowing I already have a great deal. If the people really look like they need the money I will force myself not to bundle. On the other hand. If I have to ask the price on something and someone says, "What's it worth?" and I can't get them to give me a price after asking several times, I can't seem to help myself from being honest and telling them a low-ish fair market price, but telling them I can only give half of that. That usually leaves me more than enough room to make some money and is how I sleep at night. I try very hard to let or make them set the price. I too have paid more than what was asked for items, especially coin collections that were worth a ton more that were offered to me for $50 or "would you give me a hundred for these?" and I have a very few times paid more than what was asked or even returned with more money. I guess some of you will laugh at that, but one time a neighbor sold me his coin collection, his dead father's actually, and at the last minute threw in a small bank he said contained just some wheat pennies from his father's pocket change over the years. He was right for the most part, but it also contained a large cent, a 3 cent piece and a two cent piece. I took them back down to him and told him what I had found and left him another $40 dollars. Am I a fool, perhaps, but I made money, we still are on good terms, and I feel good about it. Like my daughter says, "Everybody is different."

T.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The whole entire point of my comments if anyone read my first posts was that when the lady realized she might be about to get hosed she pulled back on the deal. Clearly you guys all think she was obligated to stand still and take it even though at that point there was NO "deal". Like I said, alot of you will never "get it" and that's cool. I guess none of you have ever been about to do something and then had second thoughts. Have a good day.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing is, 99% of the stuff people sell only has a higher selling point on eBay. Jewelry ESP. A pawn shop, antique store will only pay a small percentage. Most items they will pass off as they do not want anyways. So what choice does the average joe have at selling something. I tried to teach eBay to several people and no one interested in it they would rather just sell the stuff and get rid of it. So if u go back and look at what I bought. The two pieces are worth maybe $20 on eBay. Not a pawn store or anywhere else. And all the rest were earrings too. So there was several dollars in small earrings. I never use a loop as I can see every marking anyways. But this has been an interesting thread. Thanks everyone for your input.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole entire point of my comments if anyone read my first posts was that when the lady realized she might be about to get hosed she pulled back on the deal. Clearly you guys all think she was obligated to stand still and take it even though at that point there was NO "deal". Like I said, alot of you will never "get it" and that's cool. I guess none of you have ever been about to do something and then had second thoughts. Have a good day.

Yes, no one will argue with that.... but does not mean the buyer was taking advantage! He did not talk her into a bad deal which she pulled out of, and you don't seem to get that how it plays out makes a big difference. It seems like you dug yourself in, and now even knowing the facts you're sticking to your guns and fighting the bad fight. Of course everyone here is going to disagree with someone who is doing that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody said she was obligated to sell anything. It's hers, it's her choice. I think everyone was voicing their dismay about when the same thing happens to them. At least I was, like I said previously, that happens to me on a weekly basis almost. I think you are back pedaling on the latter part of your reply and trying to save face. Just admit it, you should have never implied that BK23 seemed upset because he couldn't take advantage of the seller. That part of your statement is what upset this thread.
bummer buttt... until the money changes hands it's her stuff. You seem upset that you lost the chance to take advantage of her.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Well I feel great knowing that so many people here that I have a great deal of respect for feel the same way as I do.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Business Law 101: An offer to sell an item can be withdrawn by the seller at anytime prior to the acceptance of the seller's terms by a buyer. At the point of acceptance by a buyer, the seller is then obligated to complete the transaction, and the buyer is obligated to render payment. If the buyer makes a counter-offer, then the seller has the right to accept the buyer's offer, reject the offer, or make a counter-offer, themselves. At that point (since the buyer's counter-offer has effectively rejected the terms of the original offer to sell), the seller no longer has a duty to fulfill the terms of the original sales offer.

The facts of the OP's situation aren't completely clear, but:

If the seller displayed a table of jewelry marked for sale at $1.00 each, and the OP told the seller that he would take them all for the stated price, then the seller had the legal obligation to complete the transaction.

If the seller pulled the jewelry back (effectively rescinding the offer to sell) prior to the buyer accepting the seller's offer, then the seller has no obligation to complete the transaction.

If the buyer counter-offered to buy all of the jewelry at $0.50 per item, then the seller no longer had a duty to sell the items to the buyer, even at the $1.00 per item price (since the counter-offer effectively rejected the original offer to sell).

Obviously, a garage sale transaction is not headed for a court of law, but I believe that the legal standard is also the ethical thing to do here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread