What's new

Shield nickel

nyiangelo

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
639
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Well the back looks like an error to me. The front however I have no clue. It's strange how if another coin was hammered over it then there should be something on the shield. But there isn't just around the edge. Only coin in hole. thanks.
 

Attachments

  • img003.webp
    img003.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 281
  • img001.webp
    img001.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 270
  • img003.webp
    img003.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 259
  • img001.webp
    img001.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 260
Looks like a re-punched denomination error to me. The obverse if the numbers are incuse looks like a hammer or vise was used with another coin against it leaving the impression in your coin.
 
Upvote 0
That is clearly an error. I would have it accessed by an coin expert. It may already be mentioned in some literature on errors. Most have been discovered and written about so I would assume this is not the only one like it. It is still most likely a rare error though. I would think it would be worth well more than one of the same year without this error.

DaChief
 
Upvote 0
It looks like someone put an 1863 IH over top of the nickel and hit it hard with a hammer (which oddly enough didn't spread the metal--unless the nickel is larger than a regular shield nickel...). Then they used the same coin at a different angle to create the date which you have listed as "1823." (Both images are backwards images of the 1863 date from a cent, and the correct placement of the word "UNITED" in the legend from an IH cent.)

The back of the coin has me perplexed, since there is a second "5." Is this second top of the number "5" raised, or is it inset into the coin's surface?

It reminds me of Don's "3 in 1" copper:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,151352.0.html


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
I looked in my old known error book and didnt find it.
 
Upvote 0
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52065


This is a Link to a coin forum nyiangelo gave me permission to post it on.

I belive I would send this one in myself, even if a counterfiet it could be a good one. I belive the one side was tampered with, but the other side seems to be a legite error.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom