Shoring Saftey question on Hardrock/Oldriverchanel rocks coyote holes

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to a gold mine, not a claim that I can mine it was previously hydraulic mined it still has large cliffs of cemented together river rocks up hundreds of feet. In previous years I have heard that people mined with coyote holes on the bedrock at the bottom of the cliffs and took out large amounts of gold. I have found 100s of feet of small interconnected tunnels that I can see they followed the bedrock. I would like to mine this bedrock area but would like to do it safely be that shoring or some other method other than just using the cemented together river rock as a ceiling. Anyone have a suggestions on shoring ie what type how far apart how large of tunnel required as I would like to do this right. I am in construction and have access many materials use heavy construction.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh man... Coyote holes are death traps. Make sure someone knows where you are when you go in.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure no one is home first lol and make sure theres no fleas if its a abandon make sure you know why bc maybe the fleas chased them out ive seen it happen to fox holes

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cazisme - check out old newspapers - not a week went by that some accident took a miners life. Sure, those cobbles are cemented stronger than concrete
in some drift mines, but I remember a petty thief once said "Sure, robbing a store or 7-eleven is easy, but who can do it just once? Its usually the tenth
or twentieth time when you get busted"

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff is cemented until exposed to air....look at the base of any hydraulic pit face....where do you think that sluff came from?Any miner will tell you drifts,in channel are the most dangerouse there are and most oldhard rock,"salts",wont go near em.The Miller Mine which operated in the 80's was eventually shut down because they could not prvent cave in's,they used this new state of the art technique using straw bales and at least one guy died from a cave in...it sits there vacant now.I would highly recommend you stay OUT!!!!!!!Even a hit on the head from one basket ball sized rock from the back of one of those coyote holes will kill you instanly

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to a gold mine, not a claim that I can mine it was previously hydraulic mined it still has large cliffs of cemented together river rocks up hundreds of feet. In previous years I have heard that people mined with coyote holes on the bedrock at the bottom of the cliffs and took out large amounts of gold. I have found 100s of feet of small interconnected tunnels that I can see they followed the bedrock. I would like to mine this bedrock area but would like to do it safely be that shoring or some other method other than just using the cemented together river rock as a ceiling. Anyone have a suggestions on shoring ie what type how far apart how large of tunnel required as I would like to do this right. I am in construction and have access many materials use heavy construction.

All the mines in Virginia City Nevada used "square-set timbering" for the many miles of underground workings. A mini version of that technique might offer
some safety.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the mines in Virginia City Nevada used "square-set timbering" for the many miles of underground workings. A mini version of that technique might offer
some safety.

...as you know my friend that was all hard rock.....totally different ball game with Channel gravels....there is virtually nothing that I know of,given the nature of the gravels

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Did 30 years of coyote holes,but not in old tertiary channels.Mine were all in hardrock on hillsides.Longest was 16 feet which was dug with hand tools over a year or so.Kept throwing a little color so I didn't want to totally quit on the vein.Just dug on it now and then when I had no other spots to sample.The ribs(walls) and back(ceiling) were fairly hard.Stopped digging on it one december and came back the following march.There was no sign the adit ever existed.In those years past I was a very lucky fellow,in finding species and not getting killed by three cave-ins and one hillside collapse that hit me a glancing blow on the shoulder and sent me 20 feet down the hillside.A direct blow and I'd still be there.In none of my holes could you turn around in.In this business when you follow the yellow(following the lead) you mostly get your price and sometimes pay the price.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, cazisme. If these old salts didn't make it sink in, this one will try... DON'T DO IT !!! Not worth it. Had 5 inches of rain recently in Yarnell, AZ. Below, at Stanton Camp, AZ (Antelope creek) was RE_WORKED in just two days afterward. Stay away from that stuff. NOTHING is forever except death! TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC "even though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me" Psalm 23;4 let God protect you and bless you

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC "even though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me" Psalm 23;4 let God protect you and bless you
Tnx, my friend. The only Bible passage I have committed to memory is the one a drill instructor told us boots in '67..... "Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle". Psalms 144:1 TTC

Last edited:

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put on the full armer of God to that you can stand against the tactics of the devil Ephesians 6:11

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why coyote, drill & blast into the bedrock to make your tunnel safer and to be able to shore up in solid rock. The gold is in the bedrock anyway so blast out 3 to 4 feet deep into the bedrock. Then test the cobbles above as you go in. I've been in some seriously dangerous drifts where you never spoke. Shoring is tough so a complete A frame cover built solid on the bedrock for you to go through is by far the best. This only leaves the immediate work area exposed when you are working above but mostly you will be safer in the bedrock and that is where the gold is. So drill and blast a 4 foot deep bedrock trail into your work area on solid rock and surround yourself with solid wall to wall timber.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how easy is it to aquire TNT in the west lol bc as far as i know explosive are illegal

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of licensed explosive experts here and they usually use ANFO these days because it can legally be carried in a truck. The last guy I checked with is charging $100. an hour with a 3 hour minimum plus the cost of the explosives being used. I know plenty of people who are licensed to both drill and blast for you. There are lots of mines still in operation here in California that blast for a profit.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you kidding lol God bless us rednecks lol but i live in stink central NJ that will never happen here you cant even conceal carry unless you are a salesman or are law enforcement and i think retired law can conceal carry

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup and you can't drink that 20oz soda out there either... New York is the worst place in the states for over regulation. The guv thinks that drinking a large soda is bad for you so he outlaws Big Gulps from 7-11 or any soda over 12oz from being sold there... Now that's a control freak. I'm surprised the people haven't stood up there for themselves yet. Now it's down to 7 round clips max for all hand guns, which takes all of the semi autos out. Looks like it's gone way beyond being legal on the right coast or is that the wrong coast because it's far from right.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup and you can't drink that 20oz soda out there either... New York is the worst place in the states for over regulation. The guv thinks that drinking a large soda is bad for you so he outlaws Big Gulps from 7-11 or any soda over 12oz from being sold there... Now that's a control freak. I'm surprised the people haven't stood up there for themselves yet. Now it's down to 7 round clips max for all hand guns, which takes all of the semi autos out. Looks like it's gone way beyond being legal on the right coast or is that the wrong coast because it's far from right.
Reed, doesn't really rule out semi-autos with high capacity mags. Only the mags. Have one or two Welded to comply. I live in AZ so I can carry larger capacity mags. The mags that go to CA with me can only carry 7 (7 + 1). I have others in AZ that carry more. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions