Short 1850s site dig 10/28/14

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all -

was raining yesterday morning and didn't clear until noon-ish so I skipped out on the days work and went digging in the afternoon for a bit on an old standby about 5 miles down the road that I've pounded a few times with a couple different machines but she's still giving up some finds.

Got a few goodies for my efforts but am severely disappointed in the large coin I dug out of the site just minutes after I started swinging --- just wish it was in slightly better condition!

Found a 1830s/40s one piece ladies coat button I believe, and a 4 hole underwear button but the real surprise is a:

1853 HK-6 NEW YORK CRYSTAL PALACE So-Called Dollar by Charles Stubenrauch Rarity 6, 45mm approx. Size, White Metal composition. Charles Stubenrauch Sculptor Engraver. Obverse with seated figure of Liberty with U.S. shield dated 1853. Legend around NATIONUM SCIENTIA ARTESQUE FLOREBUNT IN UNITATE. Signed C. STUBENRAUCH ST. LOUIS MO. Reverse with view of front of exposition building, NEW YORK CRYSTAL PALACE above. In the exerge, FOR THE EXHIBITION OF THE INDUSTRY OF ALL NATIONS. Signed below building DESIG BY CARSTENSEN & GILDEMEISTER.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. Them white metal tokens get toasted easily.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!! Too bad the Copper is toasty but at least ya got a good old date off it!! :thumbsup: Congrats on the old buttons and your recent Banner also!!!

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet oldies! Heartbreaker on the toasty one man I hate that. Good diggin man.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. Congrats on the 1853 "dollar." :thumbsup: Neat find. And how do you know that little button is an underwear button? I found a white ceramic button (4 holer) on my last field dig. :dontknow:

HH
p.s. Sweet ladies coat button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions