Short field hunt nets an 1858 Flying Eagle!!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, this was a very poor decision to go out yesterday. My feet are killing me from trying to kick the shovel and break through the frozen ground.

I had a total of 4 targets in this field above iron. The first signal was a nice Civil War general service cuff button. The second signal was a sweet 1858 Flying Eagle. I took a guess on the video and was wrong. I need to beat wrong more often. The other 2 targets were lead. Hopefully this crappy snow is the last of the season.

Enjoy the video of my last two hunts

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18.200000762939453px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);">

Attachments

• dfg.JPG
    dfg.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 17

LETSHUNTNOW

Jan 22, 2008
ILLINOIS
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds...I found a couple of 2 centers a few weeks ago that were my first...still looking for a flying eagle...great job...

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the FE! Still waiting for my 1st.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FANTASTIC! I've never found one, in fact I haven't SEEN one in a long time! CONGRATS!! :notworthy:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nooberz,
Some very nice recoveries. I've only dug one Flying Eagle in over 10 years. Great job. :thumbsup:
You cracked my up when you said, "three minutes later and I've dug an inch." :laughing7: You are dedicated to sat the least.
Thanks for shooting the video. Well done,
MM

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flying eagle is sweet! I am still waiting on my first.

I feel for you with the frozen ground. The top inch or so was frozen here in SC/NC last weekend and that was hard enough. I would hate to see the top 10" or so frozen. I would just stay home!

Hope your ground thaws soon!

OP
OP
Nooberz

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nooberz,
Some very nice recoveries. I've only dug one Flying Eagle in over 10 years. Great job. :thumbsup:
You cracked my up when you said, "three minutes later and I've dug an inch." :laughing7: You are dedicated to sat the least.
Thanks for shooting the video. Well done,
MM

Thanks MM. I did a couple of other sites in the corn stubble and it had soft spots in it. The bare bean field I detected in that video was an absolute nightmare.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats nice flying eagle and buttons, and that you went out to pry it out of the frozen ground!

I understood exactly when you said 3 mins. Later and you had dug an inch!
Ground here in spots the first 2 inches were deceptively thawed, anything below that was concrete! Couldn't get digging tool in it, so I was chiseling targets out with a screw driver pounded into the ground with the digging tool
I KNOW what you mean about the blisters! We both need gloves! #£&% SNOW!!!!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I would love to find a Flying Eagle!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I would love to find a flying eagle cent. Saw some 1858 flying eagle cents at the coin show a few weeks ago, but no 1857 or 1856. One vendor said he sold a 1856 flying eagle cent for $15,000. There should be more of the 1857 & 1858 cents because millions of them were made, but only 2,000 of the 1856 cents. HH.

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very exciting stuff Nooberz. It' s an understatement to say those flying eagles are far and few between. They're still on my bucket list. Way to go.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massive Kudos to you (and anyone else ) who finds a Flying Eagle cent - That's got to be one of the harder U.S. type coins to dig - right up
there with the twenty cent piece , a trade dollar , Seated Liberty dollar , Classic Head large cents and half cents etc. -

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. any flying eagle is an awesome find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread