Short field hunt nets an 1858 Flying Eagle!!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, this was a very poor decision to go out yesterday. My feet are killing me from trying to kick the shovel and break through the frozen ground.

I had a total of 4 targets in this field above iron. The first signal was a nice Civil War general service cuff button. The second signal was a sweet 1858 Flying Eagle. I took a guess on the video and was wrong. I need to beat wrong more often. The other 2 targets were lead. Hopefully this crappy snow is the last of the season.

Enjoy the video of my last two hunts

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18.200000762939453px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);">

Attachments

• dfg.JPG
    dfg.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 17
Nice finds...I found a couple of 2 centers a few weeks ago that were my first...still looking for a flying eagle...great job...

WTG on the FE! Still waiting for my 1st.

FANTASTIC! I've never found one, in fact I haven't SEEN one in a long time! CONGRATS!! :notworthy:

Nooberz,
Some very nice recoveries. I've only dug one Flying Eagle in over 10 years. Great job. :thumbsup:
You cracked my up when you said, "three minutes later and I've dug an inch." :laughing7: You are dedicated to sat the least.
Thanks for shooting the video. Well done,
MM

The flying eagle is sweet! I am still waiting on my first.

I feel for you with the frozen ground. The top inch or so was frozen here in SC/NC last weekend and that was hard enough. I would hate to see the top 10" or so frozen. I would just stay home!

Hope your ground thaws soon!

Nooberz,
Some very nice recoveries. I've only dug one Flying Eagle in over 10 years. Great job. :thumbsup:
You cracked my up when you said, "three minutes later and I've dug an inch." :laughing7: You are dedicated to sat the least.
Thanks for shooting the video. Well done,
MM

Thanks MM. I did a couple of other sites in the corn stubble and it had soft spots in it. The bare bean field I detected in that video was an absolute nightmare.

Congrats nice flying eagle and buttons, and that you went out to pry it out of the frozen ground!

I understood exactly when you said 3 mins. Later and you had dug an inch!
Ground here in spots the first 2 inches were deceptively thawed, anything below that was concrete! Couldn't get digging tool in it, so I was chiseling targets out with a screw driver pounded into the ground with the digging tool
I KNOW what you mean about the blisters! We both need gloves! #£&% SNOW!!!!!

Nice finds, I would love to find a Flying Eagle!

Nice finds. I would love to find a flying eagle cent. Saw some 1858 flying eagle cents at the coin show a few weeks ago, but no 1857 or 1856. One vendor said he sold a 1856 flying eagle cent for $15,000. There should be more of the 1857 & 1858 cents because millions of them were made, but only 2,000 of the 1856 cents. HH.

Very exciting stuff Nooberz. It' s an understatement to say those flying eagles are far and few between. They're still on my bucket list. Way to go.

Massive Kudos to you (and anyone else ) who finds a Flying Eagle cent - That's got to be one of the harder U.S. type coins to dig - right up
there with the twenty cent piece , a trade dollar , Seated Liberty dollar , Classic Head large cents and half cents etc. -

great finds. any flying eagle is an awesome find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back