SHOULD I HUNT OLD 1800'S HOUSE IN COUNTRY?

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if old houses in the country turn out much silver and good finds or if i should stick to old homes in town i got a permission from a family friend the house is at least over a 143 years old because i found the house on a 1874 map but the house is all by itself in the country with alot of land will it be mostly farm iron and junk or should i hit it to try and find some silver and coins?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if old houses in the country turn out much silver and good finds or if i should stick to old homes in town i got a permission from a family friend the house is at least over a 143 years old because i found the house on a 1874 map but the house is all by itself in the country with alot of land will it be mostly farm iron and junk or should i hit it to try and find some silver and coins?

Depends oon who lived there and what it was. 90percent of what I hunt is cellar holes. Very few coins though, but huge potential for cool relics. Check out my recent threads for old 1800s county cellar hole items.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
th bear.jpg

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the chances of finding coins at old farms are less likely then finding coins in town but their is always hope and you never know. Then again, people on farms tended to bury money for lack of access to banks. My advice...never pass on a permission!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never know what's there until you swing your coil over it. I think you better detect it soon so you can sleep at night.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt 2 1800's farm's alot. If your looking for coins, they'll be in the typical places. Driveway's and sidewalks leading to house. I've found a few clad in the gravel driveway's, and only one old coin, an 1835 LG that was bulldozed up against a tree when they knocked the house down. You have to like relic's if your on old farm's. But, did they bury money? And where on the vast 5 to 10 acre lawn's:BangHead:. Your probably not going to last long if all your looking for is silver.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never pass up the opportunity to hunt any site that old where people have lived or gathered.
Let us know how it turns out.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure this farmers kids had pockets full of change. Go get it all!

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to ask, then I suggest you leave the property alone.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted dozens of mid to late 1800's farmyards here in lower Michigan, and most are a waste of time. I've hit some yards where not even a single modern coin could be found.

Years ago, crops were planted right up to the house in many cases, or hogs slopped in the front yard, or dirt was moved around after additions, or fill brought in, and so on.
Many farmers didn't have the money to lose back then. In any case, I always watch for yards that look like they have the original grade, huge trees etc, and not a lot of junk lying around. Good luck if you decide to detect it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be there today bright and early with detector in hand! :icon_thumright:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've hunted dozens of mid to late 1800's farmyards here in lower Michigan, and most are a waste of time. I've hit some yards where not even a single modern coin could be found.

Years ago, crops were planted right up to the house in many cases, or hogs slopped in the front yard, or dirt was moved around after additions, or fill brought in, and so on.
Many farmers didn't have the money to lose back then. In any case, I always watch for yards that look like they have the original grade, huge trees etc, and not a lot of junk lying around. Good luck if you decide to detect it.

Oh how I can relate to that one! Years ago when I started to do the switch back to the homestead hunting I hit an area that was settled by the Quakers. I've heard the saying "the purse strings were pulled/closed tight" In this case they sewed the suckers shut! After a dozen cellar hole hunts not one cent/token/coin of any type, lots of targets neat relics and things that made each one being the first to be hunted with a detector, but are the odds of no coinage. Poor dirt farmers didn't have the pleasure of loosing the money it seems.
Then on the other note I've hit sites that have produced a dozen or more tokens, early coinage, and no silver so it's still poor but digging blacksmith tokens is cool, and I can live with digging them any day. It's just a big box of chocolates the quality and quantity is the only difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread