Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm selling a desk on CL . I got an email this a.m. asking if I still have it - i wrote them "yes"
This afternoon I received this email from him .

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. I will be buying from you so
please kindly withdraw the advert from C.LIST. Please be informed that i
will be paying with a certified check from my Bank it will be delivered to
you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need you to provide me with the
following information to facilitate the mailing of the check...

Name to be on the payment
Home address
City
State
Zip Code
Cell phone #
Last Asking Price

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your money I am
completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be delivered
within 24hours so please do wade other buyers off and remove the advert from
CL I use a hearing impaired phone # and will receive your calls via email so
i will wait to read back from you as soon as possible

Thanks

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to ask then you probably shouldn't be selling stuff online! And I never ever reply to emails only asking if I still have an item! Now your email address is on a huge spam & scam list so you got that going for ya now!

Last edited:

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, don't respond to "potential buyers" who just plain email you and say "Is the item for sale?" or any generic form of that. Its an automated email responder that collects personal information to sell to 3rd party companies.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Reading the e-mail from the buyer, it strikes me that this buyer is not from the USA. Us Americans don't talk that way!!!

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - I see the light now . Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while you're responding to him, I have recently been found to be able to receive part of a settlement due to a person receiving millions of Nigerian dollars and they would like to spirit it out of the country and would pay me handsomely if I were to only furnish them with my name, social security number, bank account number and a copy of my signature.

Would you be my surrogate?:laughing7:

on the other hand, I have a detector up on CL and was recently asked if I would accept paypal covering what I want plus shipping to an out of state address. There were no questions about said detectors. Do you think I should accept said offer or decline because once the machine is out of my hands the money can also be out of my hands.

and no, us Americans don't talk that way.:occasion14:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mojjax if you really don't know the way that scam works let me spell it out.... You would receive a check for quite a bit more than the price of the item your selling. Then the buyer would tell you there was a mistake or something similar & will request you send some of that money back to them (in another country mind you) & they would let you keep some extra money for your hassle. Problem is that check will turn out to be counterfeit & the banks wont realize it for a while but when they do you are out of any money you used or sent back to theses scammers. The item your selling would never get picked up either.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I responded to two such emails with the full knowledge that they were more than likely scams and they were. I have received many more such emails of which I either did not respond to or replied advising them that their emails had been forwarded to the FBI. In the two scams, each time I received counterfeit Certified Bank Checks made out for much more money than what I wanted for the items that I was selling on Craigslist. They instructed me to deposit the checks into my' Bank Account and then to immediately withdraw all of the funds except what I wanted for the items plus a bonus that they say that they added and to send these funds to certain named persons, in certain named cities via Western Union. Well, I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday, so I checked with the supposed issuing Banks to verify that the Certified Bank Checks were counterfeits as I had suspected. I then emailed pictures of the counterfeit Certified Bank Checks to the supposed issuing Banks for their records and mailed the counterfeit Certified Bank Checks to the FBI. I understand that one of the individuals involved with one of the counterfeit Certified Bank Checks was taken into custody as they attempted to board a plane to leave the country and have not heard about any arrests concerning the other one.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut copy paste it to Google - SCAM !

tomsright

Jul 2, 2013
NatureCoast Florida
Detector(s) used
A/T PRO, 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open an email account just for times like this . .If they responded to a CL add they won't have your email. If you respond use the back-up account. Tell them pay-pal or cash
Good luck. Just cyan.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Classic fake check scam. One of the worst aspects of this scam is that, if you deposit this jerk's fake check, you can find yourself in trouble with the law for passing a fake check. More info here:

www.scamwarners.com View topic - Check Scams

Scam Warners is a great group with tons of reliable info on every kind of online scam. I have done a lot of work with them in the past.

@huntsman53 - That's fantastic that one of these creeps got arrested. Usually these scammers are beyond the reach of US law enforcement. However, if you really want to do some damage to these creeps, there is a way to, hopefully, get their bank account shut down and any funds in the account confiscated by the authorities. That hits them where it hurts.

@tomsright - Telling these guys to use PayPal or cash is pointless. Unless you want to bait the scammer, you're better off just ignoring them. If you do want to bait the scammer, learn how to do it safely. Scam Warners has a sister site (419eater.com) which will give you all the info you need to screw with this a-holes without putting yourself at risk.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions