alexTx

Greenie
Dec 13, 2009
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I took a break from the monotony of this other site I've been working and decided to break some brush down along the river. I had noticed earlier in the week a couple of teens across the river sitting on a small, flat rock shelf right on the river bank. Now the other side of the river is steep, rocky, and very overgrown, with little to no bank. I figured there must be a trail from the nearby road. Also thought if those kids are sitting there on that big rock, people probably have been sitting there for 100 years so I need to check it out.
Found the trial and headed toward the river. Right before the bank dropped off down to this rock ledge, I found a clad quarter so a good start. Jumped down to the rock and started scanning the gravel and sand that had accumulated where the ledge met the rest of the bank. Found a pull tab and one bottle cap. Then I scanned out on the rock and got a good signal. Scraped the thin layer of sand and gravel away with my shovel but still had a signal in the same spot. Tapped the location with my shovel...solid?? Well I was confused. Began to rub the area with my hand and noticed a small indention. Yep, a small, crack like hole that had filled with sand. Pried in it with the point of my Predetor shovel and out pops a 1962 Rosie. I couldn't believe it and was wondering how many flash floods that little dime had survived hidden in that crack.
At that point I was excited and started scanning the whole rock ledge and sure enough found a clad dime in an even smaller crack. Had to use my pocket knife to get it out. Also found a penny in a small hole. Scanned across a large crack that had filled with dirt and had grass growing out and got a good signal. Began scraping the dirt out with my shovel and out pops a 10k wedding band, my first gold ring, so I was real happy.
Scanned the rest of the rock and right off the edge in the water but didn't pull anything else out. Do have two good signals I need to go back for because my knife was too big to get down in the hole. Will need a narrow screwdriver or something to scrape. I do plan to work what little bank there is at the spot and when warmer, out in the water. Might be an old swimming hole, even though not very deep. Good excuse to get that AT Pro now, don't you think ;D.
Anyway, all day I've been singing that Burl Ives song from Rudolph:
Silver and Gold
Silver and Gold
Ev'ryone wishes for
Silver and Gold

Attachments

• DSCF0623.JPG
    DSCF0623.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0
Nice couple of finds right there. Congrats and Merry Christmas! :thumbsup: jgas

Good job, & congrats on the ring. I have spent many hours doing just what you did, trying to find spots where people played years ago.

Silver and gold mean so much more when I see,
Silver and gold decorations...
on every Christmas tree!

AWESOME job on your 1st gold ring!!! Yea you have to think out of the box while treasure hunting!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back