Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still making it out before the snow and had a game plan, was hard but we stuck to it. We decided to try a an old beat french site for an hour to try our luck...Not much other than 3 musket balls and a pile of pipe stems and pieces of the bowl. After this we decided a different approach and follow inland further following some old brooks and possible portages... Lesson learned, found a 1820's site where we wouldn't have expected it and also found a half a dozen or more Victorian foundation in which we hunted quickly. Here is my take for the day. An 1820 Trade and Navigation token, seems to be in better shape than most of my other ones, 1895 Canadian LC, 1841 Half Penny Token, crusty thistle token and this strange silver button marked 2 1/2 with a broken shank. Has anyone ever seen one like it before or to it's purpose? Also managed to small brooches...Seems like a brooch year for me...The wave must be coming back down now...Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Trade1.jpg
    Trade1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 84
  • Trade 1820.jpg
    Trade 1820.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.5 silver.jpg
    2.5 silver.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 311
  • 2015-11-15.jpg
    2015-11-15.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 99
  • silver button back.jpg
    silver button back.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Upvote 17

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal cool button, can't wait to see what what information pops up on this.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! I really like the token, and awesome silver button! Congrats. HH

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you provide a bit more info to help with a possible ID? Like OutdoorAdv mentioned, what is the exact diameter in mm? And can you measure the thickness with a pair of calipers? Also, can you take a pic of the edge? Can't tell for sure from the front view, but it appears to have a slightly convex shape which could eliminate it being a coin. But it looks like that shank might have been added after-the-fact which would bring us back to a coin. And then there's the significance of the "2-1/2". Lots of unanswered questions.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love that trade token and that silver button is the 1st of it's kind that I have seen posted on Tnet. You sure know where the history happened.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I found it around an old Victorian foundations as well as a couple french but without a doubt I believe it's Victorian.
It's circumference is 19mm...Thickness is .60mm and weigh exactly 2 grams. Not convex though and shank not silver but likely brass or copper...
Best pic I can get with my phone... Sure this will be a mystery for quite some time...hoping not...

Can you provide a bit more info to help with a possible ID? Like OutdoorAdv mentioned, what is the exact diameter in mm? And can you measure the thickness with a pair of calipers? Also, can you take a pic of the edge? Can't tell for sure from the front view, but it appears to have a slightly convex shape which could eliminate it being a coin. But it looks like that shank might have been added after-the-fact which would bring us back to a coin. And then there's the significance of the "2-1/2". Lots of unanswered questions.

Attachments

• side view of button.jpg
    side view of button.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 58

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the scratches and dings under a bright light and see if you can see copper or brass shining through at all... meaning it's heavily silver plated. It does not make sense for a shank to be another metal if the "button" is solid silver.

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you post the pics as inserted inline? That way we can zoom in, now I cant. Also, if shank is different metal I believe it will be plated.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the scratches and dings under a bright light and see if you can see copper or brass shining through at all... meaning it's heavily silver plated. It does not make sense for a shank to be another metal if the "button" is solid silver.

I looked and there is nothing but silver that I can see...maybe added on later...dunno

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat token and interesting button!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh...now you've gone and done it! You said that four letter word!!!! Hopefully the 2 1/2 on your mysterious silver button stands for the amount of ....s-n-o-w, we will get this year.

The button appears to have slanted scratches across the surface a repurposed silver coin/button?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread